• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375CT DTA HTI up and running

WaltHer

Felipe Forevuh
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2009
hillbilluns, montucky
I finally got the .375 CT conversion up and running on my HTI. Yesterday's shooting conditions were as follows: 21.7-23.5 degrees F/26.67 inHG/ 3586' ASL/DA=1365-1780/70-80% humidity with intermittent snow and fog. Winds at 0-3MPH varying in direction.

I started out by confirming zero in the .50BMG conversion and testing the chrono. My first clean cold bore .50 BMG shot was almost dead on, then the group moved +1/L1 moa. I re-corrected for this.

After re-zeroing my turrets I switched over to the .375 CT, fired one last round of .50 so that I could accurately document the POI shift between conversions. I then fired 3 rounds of DTM factory ammunition using the center bullseye as aiming reference.

As you can see, there was a POI shift of about -3/L3 and about a 1.5" group. Both Russ at DTA and Orkan advised not getting too excited if the 352gr CE solid didn't group at 100yds initially. This group could have easily come from me slapping the trigger after 11 rounds through "the Punisher" aka .50BMG, and being cold. Also, the additional bulk of the balaclava made it a little harder to obtain proper cheek weld, and sight picture.
After 9 rounds of .375, things settled in a little better:

This is three rounds of 352gr. CE MTAC L-09/virgin Bertram Brass/132.5 grains Retumbo/Fed GM215M/4.444" COAL/ Avg. 3054 fps/ ES of 9 FPS
Always trying to quit on a high note, we packed up, drank some hot choclate, and drove down to the steel range. Unfortunately, the only steel target up was the 550 yd plate (500, 600, 720 were all in for repair). I was out of handloads, so I just shot DTM facotry ammo. DA had come up to 1850 and temp was holding at 23.4 F. Both AB and Kestrel Horus recommended +7.1 MOA/R.2. Dialed +7.25/R.25 and was rewarded when the disc spun a complete revolution over its hanger. Fired two more, and was out of ammo for the day.

My plan is to load some more 132.5/4.444" ammo, re-chrono, and zero, then stretch its legs a little.
Reloading equipment is as follows:
RCBS Ammomaster .50 BMG press, RCBS chargemaster, Viersco dies

Hey Walt I apologize for not getting back to you in a more timely manner, I'm in the process of opening up a firearms business in N.Texas, been so busy don't know what to do with myself haha. Well from your initial data it shows that your concerns can be put to rest, ES of 9 is great I may use your load development for my rig ;). Keep me posted on this Walt, I am very interested in how yours runs.

Side note: No conversion yet... We may be in the same 7mo. Boat.

Again great write up. What are your overall impressions of the DTA HTI? Ergonomics, trigger, bolt throw, was it hard to get use to the bull pup design, quality? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, as soon as my custom chopper sells this will most likely be my next purchase.

Again great write up. What are your overall impressions of the DTA HTI? Ergonomics, trigger, bolt throw, was it hard to get use to the bull pup design, quality? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, as soon as my custom chopper sells this will most likely be my next purchase.

As far as ergonomics, trigger and whatnot, I like it just fine. That being said I've been running the srs for 2 years so the symmetry was really desirable. The trigger; it's different but it's great. Not exactly like "breaking a glass rod" though, just a soft consistent press. I had to adjust my bolt throw technique on both guns to avoid knocking the spent shell back into the ejection port, and I still do just that on occasion. The bolt lift on the .50 is quite stiff even compared to Barretts M99 due to the heavy spring inside. The .375's bolt is very manageable. Quality is very good, and the minor questions I've had were quickly remedied. My experiences with two guns and 3 calibers (I'm excluding the.50 because I've only run ball ammunition) confirms dta's claim of 1/2 moa with qualified ammo. My best advice is to find a dealer or another shooter with a dta and try it out to see how it fits you. So far I'm really impressed.

Great write up. Still waiting for my 375CT conversion to arrive.....so anxious I've already got DTM and test handloads ready to go!

Decided to start with Cutting Edge MTAC Max 352gr, brass is unfired Bertram, I have loaded 9 rds ea beginning with 132 grs in .5 increments to 134.5 using Retumbo and Federal GM215M primiers. My COAL is same, 4.444.

Essentially keeping most/all component same as DTM ammo, like all I've heard about their accuracy, I also shoot DTM 308 and 338LM and like its accuracy as wmuch as Asym, just need to do it myself to keep costs down and increase trigger time. With the 50BMG conversion and like you I also have an SRS (6XC, 308 and 338LM) its eating up a large chunk of wife's annual family vacation fund. HA!

Awesome set-up, some day I may go down this path as well. I will be following your load development as well.

I am lefty, but with the "big boy" calibers its not like you are going to be doing positional shit with it on a daily basis, would be cool to play with multiple calibers, I would like to have .375 CT, 50 BMG, and a 416 with one scope.

I've been running one in 375 Cheytac, it has run well for me. Competed in two ELR matches with it so far in SoCal. URSA. Won both matches at 2082 yards. Last one was in some pretty brutal wind, managed 5/10 with 30-35 mph wind at 2082 yards in qualifying and 4/10 was good enough to take first in the match. I've been very happy with it. Also have a new conversion for 375/416 Barrett that Ive been playing with and hope to debut for the ELR Central's World Record match before SHOT. Its showing good promise....3400 ish with 361 Flatlines.

Attachments

• photo83680.jpg
    photo83680.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 17
Here's a glimpse of the new beast! 375/416 Barrett! Thing is showing some great promise!

Attachments

• photo83681.jpg
    photo83681.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 54
As far as ergonomics, trigger and whatnot, I like it just fine. That being said I've been running the srs for 2 years so the symmetry was really desirable. The trigger; it's different but it's great. Not exactly like "breaking a glass rod" though, just a soft consistent press. I had to adjust my bolt throw technique on both guns to avoid knocking the spent shell back into the ejection port, and I still do just that on occasion. The bolt lift on the .50 is quite stiff even compared to Barretts M99 due to the heavy spring inside. The .375's bolt is very manageable. Quality is very good, and the minor questions I've had were quickly remedied. My experiences with two guns and 3 calibers (I'm excluding the.50 because I've only run ball ammunition) confirms dta's claim of 1/2 moa with qualified ammo. My best advice is to find a dealer or another shooter with a dta and try it out to see how it fits you. So far I'm really impressed.

Hope to run into you at the ELR Central event before SHOT!

Barrel is Bartlein 1:10.5 twist with HTI spec shank, 1.250" to muzzle. XXX bastard brake. Reamer came from PTG. I'm making brass from 50 BMG Tto 416 with dies from CH4D. getting it to 375 with home made dies.

Before anyone starts...I call my barrel 15 panty twist because whenever I mention it 15 people get their panties in a twist because it's not fast enough. Tell the target that at 3520 yards! :)

That's cool! How about barrel length?

BTW did you have ignition problems with your 375CT? I'm sure that's been eliminated with the big primers in the BFG.

The only time I had ignition issues was when I ran Tula magnum Primers. Remington, Winchester, and Federals are all gtg. Barrel is finished at 36".

Headed out tonight to Chrono a few after making some adjustments. Still just speed/function testing. Haven't fine tuned a load yet.

Should be a fun year hooking up and shooting the 375s,, looking foward to the camaraderie.

Cheers
Jeff Heeg

oneshot.onehit

I'm running NF 8x32x56 (loaner from a buddy, I have a 5.5x22x56) it's on a Coldshot MOAB 150 MOA base.

Looking forward to shooting with you all as well! Always a learning experience getting to shoot with others who have similar goals/equipment.

3500 was top end of what I've seen with 361's. 3300 seems manageable pressure wise. Just trying to get some consistency out of it right now.