• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 3D Printed 316 Stainless Steel magazine bodies

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Hi,

338 CIP external dimensions but spacer, follower and feed lips for short action cartridges.

3D printed in 316 stainless steel.

Screenshot_20210721-053837_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210721-053704_Instagram.jpg

Sincerely,
    Theis

Did you/can you print the follower and spring inside in one shot?

Did you/can you print the follower and spring inside in one shot?

Hi,

Did we? No, Keeping them "independent" allows us to change out the spacer to follower length relationship for optimization of different cartridge shapes/lengths.

Can you? I guess everything is possible but I would think it would not be productively feasible.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: camocorvette
    That is crazy. Can you share a video of it making one?

I understand it might be a trade secret and you might not be able to.

Hi,

Less than half of that but still cheapest way to test a concept than paying to setup forming dies, etc for stamping.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    no i hear ya...making 4 prototype mags sounds like a pain in the ass.

DMLS im assuming?...any issues printing that thin? warping?

no i hear ya...making 4 prototype mags sounds like a pain in the ass.

DMLS im assuming?...any issues printing that thin? warping?

Hi,

Correct, DMLS.

No issues so far but we haven't started running magazine changes through the rifles; but there should be no issue at all.

Spacer and follower design(s) will be finished the end of this week.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Can you print a receiver with it?
    I mean, they are printing rocket nozzles, suppressor, even the prototype frames for the Hudson H9.....don't see why receivers would be out of the question

With DMLS, you have near 100% metal density, so whatever you can make out of billet you can reasonably make by printing

Some truly amazing bit of kit those printers are

Reactions: gnochi
    Can you print a receiver with it?
    I mean, they are printing rocket nozzles, suppressor, even the prototype frames for the Hudson H9.....don't see why receivers would be out of the question

With DMLS, you have near 100% metal density, so whatever you can make out of billet you can reasonably make by printing

Some truly amazing bit of kit those printers are

Not only can you print it, the part is able to be heat treated much like one made from wrought alloy.