• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3x15x44 PST or 5-25x50 scopes for AR-10

_Will_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2022
WA
Currently looking at glass for my 20" 308 PA-10 rifle. I bought a Gen II PST Viper 3x15x44 PST FFP with the EBR2 reticle. I've been playing around with the scope outdoors and I have no problem seeing out to 500-600 yards. 500+ it becomes harder to distinguish shapes more clearly and pretty much only large objects stand out. I'm able to make out signs at that distance, I wouldn't have an issue hitting a target at that distance. It would just be more difficult to see the impacts.. The question that plagues my mind is would it more advantageous to have extra magnification? Common sense would dictate yes... However, I like the variety of the 3x15, especially at lower power for situation awareness. The only thing that sucks is the FFP reticle is very small and hard to see.(3-6 power) So the question begs, would exploring a 5-25x50 be worth it?

Currently looking at glass for my 20" 308 PA-10 rifle. I bought a Gen II PST Viper 3x15x44 PST FFP with the EBR2 reticle. I've been playing around with the scope outdoors and I have no problem seeing out to 500-600 yards. 500+ it becomes harder to distinguish shapes more clearly and pretty much only large objects stand out. I'm able to make out signs at that distance, I wouldn't have an issue hitting a target at that distance. It would just be more difficult to see the impacts.. The question that plagues my mind is would it more advantageous to have extra magnification? Common sense would dictate yes... However, I like the variety of the 3x15, especially at lower power for situation awareness. The only thing that sucks is the FFP reticle is very small and hard to see.(3-6 power) So the question begs, would exploring a 5-25x50 be worth it?

My question would be what is your intended role for the rig? Is this a bench rest rifle, a DMR type rifle? I went through this with an 18" AR10. If you define your usage and then have a go/no go set of parameters or factors like weight for the rifle/scope then it will help you decide and answer the question. I for one wanted as much mag as I could get but it had to be lightweight and fairly compact, so I decided on a crossover scope type scope(Razor LHT 4.5-22) and then I put it on an offset RDS, but it's role was a DMR type rifle, not a bench rest gun. So I want to be able to carry it. Most 5-25s are gonna be fairly heavy and cumbersome for a lot of movement. I've seen through those PSTs and they are really good for the money, one option you may want to look at if you want a bit more mag is the new Burris 3.3-18x50 illuminated, that's probably what I would have bought if it had been out when I bought my LHT, it's definitely a step up from the PSTs.. Good luck, again my advice is define the role of your gun, set the requirements of what you need, then see if you can find an optic that matches that. Budget, build quality/glass quality, weight, fov, reticle, illumination...all those are key determining factors you must decide before being able to find the best scope for what your wanting.

P.s. By the way, I had no problem shooting a half ipsic sized target with my 16" ar15 out to 550 yards with a 1-6x24 LPVO, of course that was on steel so I could hear hits, but 15x will definitely get you way out there as far as pure shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp and _Will_
My question would be what is your intended role for the rig? Is this a bench rest rifle, a DMR type rifle? I went through this with an 18" AR10. If you define your usage and then have a go/no go set of parameters or factors like weight for the rifle/scope then it will help you decide and answer the question. I for one wanted as much mag as I could get but it had to be lightweight and fairly compact, so I decided on a crossover scope type scope(Razor LHT 4.5-22) and then I put it on an offset RDS, but it's role was a DMR type rifle, not a bench rest gun. So I want to be able to carry it. Most 5-25s are gonna be fairly heavy and cumbersome for a lot of movement. I've seen through those PSTs and they are really good for the money, one option you may want to look at if you want a bit more mag is the new Burris 3.3-18x50 illuminated, that's probably what I would have bought if it had been out when I bought my LHT, it's definitely a step up from the PSTs.. Good luck, again my advice is define the role of your gun, set the requirements of what you need, then see if you can find an optic that matches that. Budget, build quality/glass quality, weight, fov, reticle, illumination...all those are key determining factors you must decide before being able to find the best scope for what your wanting.

P.s. By the way, I had no problem shooting a half ipsic sized target with my 16" ar15 out to 550 yards with a 1-6x24 LPVO, of course that was on steel so I could hear hits, but 15x will definitely get you way out there as far as pure shooting.
Great points. The philosophy of use would be a Hybrid DMR/ Benchrest rifle. I intend to do shooting out to 500 then perhaps stretch its legs beyond that. I routinely shoot out to 400 yards or so with my 308 Howa Bolt gun on a 4x16x44 and tell myself I wouldn't mind extra magnification. Albeit the current scope on that isn't the clearest beyond 10x like the current PST 3x15x44 is. I would say the propose of this rifle is to get into mid-long range shooting with a gas gun. Since the rifle is 20" (bull stainless barrel) its already a bit heavier than most ideal DMRs ( maybe not?) majority of the time it would be Benchrest and scoot and go if need be.

What am I shooting at? Mainly ipsac steel targets and paper at 100-500 yards.

I did find a interesting offering from Althon. Its a 4.5-27x50 Ares BTR. That really seems to cover any gaps I was concerned about. The Athlon weighs a full oz less (27) verus 28.5 of the 3x15x44 PST and you double your magnification.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDB55
The PST Gen2 is better glass wise than the Ares BTR.
I've only played with the 2.5-15 Ares BTR and found it to be considerably worse than the PST Gen 2.

For your use I think the 3-15 you already have will be great for your intended use unless you want to spend considerably more money.

I completely agree with Beetroot here. In my opinion do not take a step down in glass quality to get more magnification unless absolutely necessary. Being able to see CLEARLY will be aided by clearer glass. Do you have a budget? If you are absolutely set on a 5-25 type scope, I would minimally stick with the PST gen 2 and do their 5-25, maybe the Meopta optika 6 line if you need sub $800. But at that point I would just save longer and get a Burris XTR III. That Athlon will be a step down in glass and overall build quality, I think you'll miss the Philippines glass quality compared to the Chinese glass quality.

I completely agree with Beetroot here. In my opinion do not take a step down in glass quality to get more magnification unless absolutely necessary. Being able to see CLEARLY will be aided by clearer glass. Do you have a budget? If you are absolutely set on a 5-25 type scope, I would minimally stick with the PST gen 2 and do their 5-25, maybe the Meopta optika 6 line if you need sub $800. But at that point I would just save longer and get a Burris XTR III. That Athlon will be a step down in glass and overall build quality, I think you'll miss the Philippines glass quality compared to the Chinese glass quality.
Thanks for the response. My budget would be around $600-700 range, I get the Vortex military-responser discount 40%. I think the 5x25x50 PST is hard to beat in that price point for features and glass like you said. I've heard the name Meopta several times, looks to be high quality. Only issue is their reticles seem to be basic and lack Christmas tree style or anything a PRS shooter would want.?? I'll give the Burris XTR a look.

If you have 700 and sell the old pst, you could find a used mk5 3.6-18. I think with better glass 15x would be more then enough

Thanks for the response. My budget would be around $600-700 range, I get the Vortex military-responser discount 40%. I think the 5x25x50 PST is hard to beat in that price point for features and glass like you said. I've heard the name Meopta several times, looks to be high quality. Only issue is their reticles seem to be basic and lack Christmas tree style or anything a PRS shooter would want.?? I'll give the Burris XTR a look.

This is my favorite reticle of the available ones, I really like that only that center is illuminated, but all that is personal preference. Also that the 3-18x50 I'm not sure if that answers your need of more magnification.

If you haven't watched this youay be interested in a side to side comparison, it may not be true of the higher mag Meopta or PST but I would say generally it would be. It's a nice comparison and worth the time. Also by the way I agree the PST Gen 2 is a great value.

I can recommend the XTRII as I have 5 of them but I can’t recommend Vortex because I’ve never used or seen one in the wild. I won’t recommend what I haven’t used. I have an Athlon Helos 2-12 but haven’t spent enough time behind it to give it a thumbs up but this spring and summer that will change.

Reactions: scsbronco