• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 40 caliber, like or don't like

Re: 40 caliber, like or don't like

untill i can conceal a 460sw comfortably i will carry the 45acp. they may not carry as many rounds but i sure hope to not need that many rounds but if i do thats why practiceing reloading will pay off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob munden 45lc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">downzero has just figured out everyones problem here! thanks! we should all carry .22s they have the most capacity, thanks for the great advice, you should submit that claim to all the agencies in the world! im sure everyone now feels better and there will be no more topics on ammo! </div></div>

Because that's really what I said, right?

what you said was there is no difference between 9mm .40sw and 45acp all you doing is losing mag capacity for no benefit. remember now. so i said if thats the case we should all carry a .22 because it has a bunch of capacity.

A .40 is a fine caliber. I prefer it on 4" or less guns over the .45.

Those whining about recoil are being a little sensitive.

This whole caliber war crap gets old. I dont really care what is carried just as long as you can shoot it

After owning various semi auto pistols in 9mm,38S,357Sig,40S&W,10mm and 45ACP I decided to stay with 40S&w as my mainstay. I like the versatility of it.

For plate racks I can load it down as low as 115 power factor. 140 grainers, Hodgdon Clays and a 8lb spring works. Softest shooting pistol load I've used!

Or to use in combat pistol matches at 125PF for minor or 165PF for major. I mostly use major for obvious reasons.

Or shoot 135 grain Corbons at 1350 fps for defense ammo. If you guys ever shoot a 1 gallon water jug with these you'll surely be impressed!

If you happen to have a 1911-2011 with the throat cut deep you can get near 10mm velocities by seating a 200 grain TC bullet out and using a slower powder like AA9. Playing around I was able to get about 1100fps.

The smallest pistol I've shot in 40 was a Kahr PM40. Plenty controllable to me and it wasn't painful to shoot by any means. In contrast a friends Grendel P10 380 was down right agonizing to shoot.

I am issued a Glock 22 and I like it. As a firearms instructor for my department I notice that a lot of officers have trouble shooting it, but I am certain that has more to to with them not shooting enough.

After almost 30,000 rounds through my Glock 22 I feel that I have a pretty good handle on it, but I realize most people do not have access to or can afford the amount of ammo I have behind mine.

I have found that when shooting the 40 I handle the recoil best when I make an effort to stuff my hand as high into the grip as possible and exagerate my wrists forward. Again, this takes practice many do not have access to.

I own several 45s and have not ever had to put as much effort into them to shoot them as I have with my issued gun. Recoil is much tamer and I think that is a large part of the inherent accuracy of the 45 acp round.

I did have a chance to shoot a new Glock 21 gen 4 that we are contemplating going to...I was suprised that I did not like it as much and didn't shoot it as well as my Glock 22, but again, sending rounds downrange is the solution to that.

Final thought I would give- my friend's dad is a retired Phoenix Police officer, who started with wheel guns and retired with a Glock 27. He told me "When we had 38's we would shoot people and mostly wound them. When we went to 357's we would wound them real bad. When we went to 40's, we started killing people." I have found that to be true throughout my career as well.

Alright, enough already, to each his own, I traded off the 4o cal Sig for a 229 Elite in 9mm and am back to just 9's and 45's. It wasn't so much all the back and forth here as me not wanting to ramp up supply of a new caliber, let's all just get along now...

people like what they like and there will never be a end to people arguing what they like, most people will never get over the fact that the .45acp is the best!

Seems like the OP's questions has morphed in a couple of different directions.

For self defense I prefer 40 to 9 simply because it delivers a little more energy. I do not find the round much more snappy but then I have fired well over a 100k pistol rounds so I might just be used to it. But I carry a 9 for concealed carry in a PSP, and it i perfectly adequate.

For or self defense, I am not a 45 fan. The round is inefficient in terms of size (as it affects ammo capacity) which is the whole reason the GAP was introduced. I do not think it has the velocity for ideal HP expansion.

I shoot a dumbed down 40 in competition (minor PF). 9 would be fine but wanted the option of going into limited with the same gun and the same dies for the cost savings.

As this topic has been beat to death I will try not to add insult to injury.
handgun caliber matters much more if your shooting competitions minor vs. major power factor, than it does in an actual use of deadly force encounter.
reason being is the hot factor is more important then the power factor.
I like the .40 simply because i like glock 23s.
I could have easily purchased (2) glock 19s as my CCW guns, but chose the .40 as a compromise.
I must admit I do not shoot them as well as my glock 34 in matches, but the controls and feel are the same so the transition will be minimized.
If you have ever shot steel with a 9mm or .40 you can see the obvious power increase of the .40.
I give the .40 an "A" overall.
great round

Carried a Sig 229 in 40 as a duty gun, I never noticed recoil issues, our department carry ammo was 180 gold dot at 985 fps

I have also qualified with Glock 22s several times, never noticed the recoil.

Glock 23 with 180 Georgia arms was the most "snappy" of anything, but I would not call it uncomfortable

I would also not call it uncommon or obsolete, pretty sure it is the most predominate police round in service

I don't dislike the .40 but prefer .45 by a large margin. I just shoot it better and find it "smoother" to shoot. I considered selling the .40 but its a S&W 4006 and I just love the 3rd gens.

Not a fan. I am about to weed out my gen 4 Glock 23. Got it 2 years ago and only put 26 rounds down the pipe after the adjustments were done. I just prefer 9 or 45. Nothing wrong with it, just personal preference.

I've got the 229 in 40 and love it. Once you've used it enough you should know that sig does a nice action enhancement which makes the double action first shot smoother.

The weight of the 229 in 40 is a nice balance for me but to each his own.

That's funny...I'm glad to see so many other people that are 9mm or 45 fans, not so much on the 40. I'm the same way. I'm also a 44mag or .357 fan, not so much a 41 mag. I don't see the gain with the in-betweener. I guess I do, it just doesn't fit my applications. I'd never argue with a 40, just don't see a need for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles2go</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny...I'm glad to see so many other people that are 9mm or 45 fans, not so much on the 40. I'm the same way. I'm also a 44mag or .357 fan, not so much a 41 mag. I don't see the gain with the in-betweener. I guess I do, it just doesn't fit my applications. I'd never argue with a 40, just don't see a need for me. </div></div>

Same for me.

I have 9mms for when I want a small package with high capacity.

I have .45s for most other occasions when I want 230gr action.

I have no want for something "inbetween".

I have handguns in 9mm, 40, and 45 and carry all three calibers without worrying too much as to how they will perform. I trust each one will get the job done. That said I have more 40's for daily carry, so by default I probably shoot and carry that caliber most often. I don't find the recoil all that bad in my EMP and 23 and seem to get back on target almost as quick as when I'm shooting my 19.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles2go</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's funny...I'm glad to see so many other people that are 9mm or 45 fans, not so much on the 40. I'm the same way. I'm also a 44mag or .357 fan, not so much a 41 mag. I don't see the gain with the in-betweener. I guess I do, it just doesn't fit my applications. I'd never argue with a 40, just don't see a need for me. </div></div>

Same for me.

I have 9mms for when I want a small package with high capacity.

I have .45s for most other occasions when I want 230gr action.

I have no want for something "inbetween".</div></div>

Could not have said it better. My sentiments exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't dislike the .40 but prefer .45 by a large margin. I just shoot it better and find it "smoother" to shoot. I considered selling the .40 but its a S&W 4006 and I just love the 3rd gens. </div></div>

Just got one, literally yesterday. Took it out this morning and ran a few magazines of 180gr FMJ and I think I've finally found a workable .40 S&W. 165gr should prove even friendlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Glock 23. Carry an Firepower is comfortable to me so I have no issues with the 40 cal. </div></div>

What he said.

I don't like the recoil of the .40S&W, it seems to be way too much for the negligible benefit over 9mm. I prefer 45ACP for carry, but have been getting into the 10mm game also. I have loaded some fairly warm 10mm loads and while the recoil is heavy, it is not the snap that I have always disliked in 40S&W.

Don't like, for me the hassle of buying/reloading for another caliber (and the increased snappy recoil and muzzle blast) isn't worth getting one. If I were a LEO and received free ammo that would be another story.

Just my opinion, ain't worth much of anything...

Well here it is my first post, ive been shooting for a while and would have to say the 1911 in .45 is by far my favorite to shoot. But for carry i choose my xd in .40. I think it is a great round even if it is a little snappy. There are many of flavors of rounds and frames mostly comes down to preference. They will all get the job done if you know how to use them. Experience will give you a track record of what you may or may not like, so get out and shoot!!

Shot both single stack and double stack 45's for years in competition and enjoyed them. When I wanted to carry I went to the .40 because you could get the basic same performance and knockdown power from the 40 in a litle smaller footprint. That's why the glock 23 is my choice for carry, for plinking the 45 is great. Our club does have a large IDPA group and it seems that most are either 9 or 40 depending on the class.

have a Sig 229 DAK in .40 and i love it, had a glock 23 and hated it. the .40 is different then what I'm used to but now i carry is my sig.

I only use my .40 for competition because it's a major power factor with high capacity. Probably 80 percent of my shooting is with .45 or 9mm because it's cheap and easy to reload. In a metal-framed gun the recoil of a .40 doesn't seem to me to be unmanageable. In a composite-framed gun, say Glock 27, it's a bit sharper and if you shoot a couple of hundred rounds at a time through it, you'll probably find it unpleasant after a range session.

Issue is .40 Glock (G22)

off duty, I was going to carry a G23, but I decided I want to carry my MP9c which I prefer.

17 rounds is sufficient though (with the +2 baseplate)

I have HKs in 40 and they are solid better than my Sig p229 SAS gen2 in 40 but you should try a Glock 23 gen4 or G22 gen4 because they are nice.

My better half carries a G22 as her duty gun and she loves it. Here offduty gun is a G23 rtf2 that she loves.

I have a sig 229 in 40 that I've always been fond of. Being a steel framed gun, the recoil is very manageable. In fact, there's nothing sharp about it imo. A polymer frame is definitely more noticeable, not a deal breaker though. I think the 40 is a great personal defense round.

I like the 40 it seems to work pretty good. The muzzel "snap" thing is there, but the more you shoot the less it becomes a factor. A buddy at a local PD just got a 40 for duty carry. He said it's a far improvment over the 9mm he had and he would much rather have the 40 between the two, but it's still a two round per person gun. For what it's worth he said the 357 sig is a "man stopper".

The .40 is, at best, a low-end 10mm stuffed into a 9mm-sized gun. In that set-up, it is, frankly, an overly "snappy" and less accurate round to choose, unless that's all your little girlie wrists can handle. The 10mm <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WAS</span></span> the original "compromise" cartridge between the 9-minimeter and the "old school" .45acp.

Old-School .45 guru, Jeff Cooper, assisted in the 10mm's development in order to obtain an improvement on the then-existing extremes (i.e., 9mm v. 45).

As conceived, the 10mm had close to the speed of the 9mm while propelling relatively heavy bullets (200gns - nearer to the .45), and a projected mag capacity about midway between both (i.e., 10-12rds.)

The 10mm is what guys finally choose when they're serious about stopping power and are fed up w/ the lackadasical performance of other "service cartridges," and want versatility of use out of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">one</span></span> autoloading round.

The 10mm: it is what it is - for many a harsh mistress
shocked.gif

motivator46fdd30941de0051d087f76546.jpg

cool.gif

I used to shoot .40 cal. I reload so I dropped the .40 cal because I had to many calibers of handguns.
I find myself joining in with the masses and agreeing that the .40 is a bit snappy.
But when I really remember back to when I was shooting the .40 I'm pretty sure I was double tapping much faster with it than I do my .45.
I change my mind. I DO NOT think the .40 is snappy. I think its the best carry round out there unless you have reason to go with another. Like to simplify reloading

A 40 cal bullet never interested me except when it was in a 10mm case.
I'm sure any of my 9's or 45's will have no problem keeping me safe as long as I do my part so I feel that I have no need for another caliber.

The 40 works but I prefer the 9mm. Less recoil, more rounds in the gun, greater reliability generally and very close wound ballistics with good ammo.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .40 is, at best, a low-end 10mm stuffed into a 9mm-sized gun. In that set-up, it is, frankly, an overly "snappy" and less accurate round to choose, unless that's all your little girlie wrists can handle. The 10mm <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WAS</span></span> the original "compromise" cartridge between the 9-minimeter and the "old school" .45acp.

Old-School .45 guru, Jeff Cooper, assisted in the 10mm's development in order to obtain an improvement on the then-existing extremes (i.e., 9mm v. 45).

As conceived, the 10mm had close to the speed of the 9mm while propelling relatively heavy bullets (200gns - nearer to the .45), and a projected mag capacity about midway between both (i.e., 10-12rds.)

The 10mm is what guys finally choose when they're serious about stopping power and are fed up w/ the lackadasical performance of other "service cartridges," and want versatility of use out of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">one</span></span> autoloading round.

The 10mm: it is what it is - for many a harsh mistress
shocked.gif

motivator46fdd30941de0051d087f76546.jpg

cool.gif

</div></div>

I own a Glock 20 and its a ok trail gun. However as a carry gun against human threats its a poor choice. The additional power does not translate into greater stopping power. Most of it is wasted in over penetration. Your rate of fire is signifcantly slower due to the increased recoil. A lot of true believers think the 10mm is a death ray its not.
Pat

I love my tuned STI Edge in 40SW. Train twice a week with it + the weekly matches around Europe. Try to stay within 600 rounds a week to keep costs in hand. Shoot IPSC standard major with it so have to achieve a power factor of at least 170.

THe great thing is it's up to the shooter do you like the snappy feeling of a 9mm load a 170 grain over 1.000 fps. I prefer the push of a 45 so i shoot a 220 grain bullet over 800fps.

Defence wise you don't want to be on the receiving end of either of them. In my double stack 120mm mag I can get 20 rounds. That is plenty of lead downrange.

Lots of replies here, more than I thought when I posted this topic, anyhow my 40 is gone and I went out and bought a CZ SP 01 Tactical that holds 18 rounds of 9mm. If I run out of ammo i can just hit em over the head as it weighs in at 2.5 pounds!

Love the .40, got the .45 because it's easier for me to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of replies here, more than I thought when I posted this topic, anyhow my 40 is gone and I went out and bought a CZ SP 01 Tactical that holds 18 rounds of 9mm. If I run out of ammo i can just hit em over the head as it weighs in at 2.5 pounds! </div></div>

Someone'll come along shortly and demand your man card because you backed away from a "4" caliber, but fear not. You've mastered the ultimate truth: when empty, the only thing left that a pistol has is "throw weight," and if you're going down, go big, or don't come off the porch in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A lot of true believers think the 10mm is a death ray its not.</div></div>

Heresy!!! Heresy I tell you!!! Man the pitch forks! Get a ROPE!
grin.gif

Though for the record my Glock 20 will be on my hip hunting this season... more for the reason twice now I will tromp around all day looking and the nice buck will walk right past camp with my rifle in the rack.....

The Glock 20 has only one problem, size. Those of us with midget hands can't grip it well. I still love it.

I load my STI eagle 40 to mag length. It is a dream to shoot. One day I will pony up for a 1911 in 10 mm.

I like the 40. I own a full size HK USP 40. I don't notice the snap everyone talks about. I've shot Glocks in 40 too and didn't notice. Then again both of those have great recoil reduction systems.

i have a 3rd gen glock 22. i myself, find it "snappy". i actually prefer my glock 21 gen 3 or the gen 4 17 over it. i dont know why, i just shoot both of those a lot better.

I keep 9mm and .45 ACP. .40 is just really snappy and doesn't do much more than a good hollow point 9mm. My .45 is more of a toy than anything.

never got on the .40 bandwagon,not a bad cartridge but i already had plenty of 9mm & .45

I carry a G22 for work and a 27 off duty. It works for me. I was a 45 guy before working for my employer, but .40 is our mandated caliber. I can shoot it just as well, and can carry more ammo. From what I've seen, effectiveness is not an issue.

It took me some time to get use to the recoil for follow up shots but it has become my EDC in a Sig SP2022.

I like the 40 in steel 1911s. It gives you options. You can carry one. But it shines as a game-gun.

40 in polymer pistols for SD, pass. Generally slows the average shooter down with full-power loads and isn't more effective than 9mm HP.

TTR