• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fisho91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
What are the overall differences between both rounds? Pro's and Con's of each in M&P and Glock? Which is better round for both defence and plinking? Thanks.

Re: .40 S&W vs 9mm

You really can't go wrong with either-I've carried both and trusted my life with them. The loads thay have now for the 9mm are impressive. If it were me, I'd try both at a range-the one YOU shoot better is the one YOU should go with. The .40 is a little snappier, and some don't like it for that. In fact, I am told that Tupelo PD just dumped their 40's for 9mm's, due to the recoil and better shooting scores with the 9. We carry the .357, and I'm not all that impressed with it-maybe it's cause I had the .40 in the academy...

I like the 9mm. Not really because I think its better, don't really know, I don't use either for Carry/SD.

The reason I like the 9mm is I shoot a lot of competition and practice for the same.

9mm's are cheaper to cast and load for. Simple as that. Most shooting I do they don't split the minor/major power factors. If I need to shoot major, I have my 45s.

I can shoot my 9 better, but that's probably do to I shoot it more (for the reasons listed).

I like the 9mm for target and defense. I've never killed people but from a point of view of cheap easy ammo, yes the 40 is getting easier to find and it is my wife's favorite caliber to shoot, you can always find 9mm.

I get some flack for buying my Nighthawk AAC in 9mm, but you know I am shooting better with it, faster on follow ups on my targets. I am quite happy.

My initial point to the 9mm was to help me shoot better with my 45's and my 10mm, however, I find myself grabbing a 9mm (the CZ or the Nighthawk) for riding in the vehicle with me.

Go with the 9mm. The .40 is a great round, but it is more expensive, and the 9mm is EVERYWHERE. I think, if times get tougher for us gun owners, the 9mm will be easier to come by. JMHO.

While it is sexier that the .40 starts with the number "4", I don't really see the advantage of a 40. To me, it has a very snappy recoil that I don't like, it has less capacity, ammo is more expensive, and it provides only a marginal increase in energy over high end 9mm ammo.

I find that the lower recoil of 9mm allows me to more carefully place my shots, and the lower cost of ammo allows me to practice more, making me better able to perform under duress.

beef up your recoil spring in the 40 and you'll be fine. Get a glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel...then shoot both.

With today's ammo, the only reason to choose a .40 would be if you want more recoil and don't want as many rounds in your weapon. If you want someting bigger than a 9, get a .45. As far as terminal ballistics go, you are not really gaining anything with the .40 over the 9. With bullets like the Speer Golddot, Winchester SXT, and Remington Golden Saber (bonded), the 9 performs very well. IMHO, the very minimal gains from a 9 to .40, when using this quality ammo, are not worth the recoil and loss of ammo capacity.

Plinking = 9mm (its cheaper and easier)

Defense is tough. Neither is perfect (m240 is perfect).

For both uses I would 9.

BMT

My wife bought a 40 I had to buy 9 after they are both great weapons! They are the same size and both fit in the same holster.

I prefer the 9mm as well. Cheaper bullets, higher capacity, nearly equally wounding potentiol and its significantly softer in recoil.

Personally I say buy a .40. Reason being is it can be converted to a 357 sig and a 9mm if needed. 3 Guns in one

last week bought a glock 27, 40 sw, and also got a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it.......goes well with my glock 19...best of both worlds

.40 is one of those strange rounds. On paper it looks amazing interior, exterior and terminal ballistics are great plus high firepower in many platforms BUT... I find it unpleasant to shoot. It has a fast, sharp recoil that is not at all punishing but just not fun, now obviosly that's an opinion.
The 9mm is a very fun round to fire, easy to get good at shooting fast as well. Times have changed and with todays bullets the round ia very effective not to mention cheap to shoot. It is the only caliber I don't load for becuase I can get loaded ammo for such a good price it's not worth it to me to handload for. 9mm tends to produce a pleasant, soft and easy recoil.

9mm- is my call

I have gone back and forth over the years with the same issue. I have just recently switched back to carrying 9mm for SD. I find you can have whatever massive caliber you want and still not put someone down. The name of the game is shot placement PERIOD. What is left is simply finding a caliber that you can shoot accurately, affordably (if you cannot afford to feed it then you cannot afford to train with it) and reliably. I currently own and carry a SIG P229, I have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG barrels for it and I would trust my life on any of them. The other thing I have been looking at is the possibility of me going down and either my son or wife having to pick up my weapon and keep going, they both have limited experience and the 9mm of the three seams to be the most comfortable for them to shoot.

When I first started shooting, I tried both and 40 was harder for me to shoot than 9mm. So I went with 9mm. Today, I can shoot both just as well. You can't go wrong with either. If you go with 9mm, go with +P JHP. That is what I run in my "nightstand pistol"

With the new 9mm ammo and the cheaper price I would go with the 9mm if I could only have one.

If you do go with the M&P full size, I would get the .40. I have an M&P40 full size, and you can buy a factory 9mm barrel and drop it right in (you will obviously need 9mm mags though). I have over 1500 .40 rounds through it, and around 300 9mm rounds, and not a single FTF, FTE, etc. I am a relatively smaller guy (5'8", 150#) and while the .40 isn't terrible (as mentioned everywhere, it does have that "snappy" recoil), the 9mm feels like a .22 after shooting the .40. If you are going practice for self-defense and shoot more than just one round per few seconds, the 9mm is FAR easier to keep/get back on target (for me, personally)

My opinion is that 9mm is superior to 40SW:

Comparing a 124gr +P 9mm and a 165gr 40SW, both will have damn near the exact same energy, and sectional density. That means that damn near identical penetration can be expected.

We all know that quality bullets will almost always expand.

An expanded .40 bullet will be bigger around than an expanded .355" bullet, and *could potentially* cut/tear/rip/scratch something important the .355" bullet would narrowly miss.

Shot placement being equal, neither one will produce an instant incapacitation the other wouldn't.

Therefore, to me it comes down to:

1. Magazine capacity

2. Comfort/skill in connecting with target

Personally, I much prefer the recoil of 9mm (and damn near any other cartridge) over 40SW, but I'm proficient with a 40. If we are limited to 10 rounds maximum of each, I'd choose the 40. However, because more 9mm cartridges fit in the same space than 40SW cartridges, I choose the 9mm.

Tough sell on me to choose a lower capacity pistol.

All pistols suck.

I shoot my 9mm more accurately and consistently than my .40 S&W. The extra recoil of the .40 S&W make it more of a chore to shoot than my 9mm. My EDC is a 9mm but I have a .40 S&W in the night stand.