• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40-X with stripper clip cut out?? Good or bad?

tomcat68

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Paris, TN
I need advice on a 40-X with the stripper clip cut out. Is it as good at the other 40-X's?
Thanks for any replies
Tomcat68

Re: 40-X with stripper clip cut out?? Good or bad?

Strength wise? Not enough difference to matter. In the end, a 40X/700 is very strong. If you are looking at a 40X w/slot, it would be a repeater.

What do you plan to use it for? Is it in 308? Rebarreled or original?

My only 40X is a CMP HB model and there is no doubt it is better finished than any 700 I have seen in 30 years, but it was made in 68ish. The fact that a 40X may or may not be better finished does not answer your question though.

Ramblings over....

I was wondering about the strength with the extra metal removed from the receiver. I had read that they are weaker than the receivers without the cutout. I found one I was considering purchasing with the cutout.

DHD
It is supposed to have the original barrel. I am looking at options. I am going to buy a Remington in .308 of some type. The price range of a new 700p is not to far from the prices of some used 40-x's I have seen. That is where the cutout question came in, I saw one for sale with the cutout. After some research I found an opinion that they are weaker with the cutout. Since it was someone's opinion I wanted more information.

Thanks.

I am no engineer so the various strength of removing metal ain't in my sphere of knowledge. That being said, that cutout should not be an issue especially if done by Remington.

If I am not mistaken (whew, hate to write that one), the Marine M40Asomething used a DDRoss mount that had to be clip slotted as the mount had big chunks of metal hanging from it and the chunks had to have some place to go
grin.gif
. There are a few threads a while back describing M40A3? builds and having to have the receivers clip slotted to use the DDRoss mount. I don't recall if the clip slotted receivers "lost" one of the rear mount holes or not but I don't think so.

If the rifle is in good shape, barrel is in the same condition, and you are happy with the price, get it. The 40X barrels/recievers are reputed to be better than the factory 700 barrels/recievers so it has a damn good chance at being a shooter. I personally prefer a factory 40X wood stock to any factory 700 stock.

It's every bit as good as any of the 40X's without the Clip Slot mod. In some circles, the Clip Slot feature is highly sought after and I've been asked to do a few mods lately to Rem 700's and Win 70's.

FWIW... The clip-slot has little or no bearing on the structural integrity of the receiver. There's not enough metal missing and it's not in a particularly crucial area (like maybe near the bolt-lugs). I am NO engineer but I can see that. So whoever said it was weaker has no concept of how a Remington bolt-action rifle works or where the stresses are and therefore has no idea what he or she is talking about.

Don't mind me... I'm an ASS!

BTW: I have a 40X 7.62 Nato Repeater... With a clip-slot. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.