• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $400 budget for scope

superribbit

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2020
i'm looking to buy the Nikon FX-1000 4-16x50 MRAD for 400 bucks.

i know they have withdrawn from the rifle scope market.

my question is, is there a better scope for 400 bucks (regardless of warranty)?

requirements:
30mm or larger tube
NOT made in china
must have parallax adjustment

The Nikon black line was made in the Philippines. Not sure if that is better or worse than China...

For the price listed I would look at Swfa, vortex and Bushnell.

The Nikon black line was made in the Philippines. Not sure if that is better or worse than China...

For the price listed I would look at Swfa, vortex and Bushnell.

there are chinese scopes worse, there are many chinese scopes better ... but i prefer to throw my business another direction.

i was under the impression the fx1000 was better than the more expensive PST gen 1 of vortex.

do you have specific model recommendations for the SWFA and Bushnell?

there are chinese scopes worse, there are many chinese scopes better ... but i prefer to throw my business another direction.

i was under the impression the fx1000 was better than the more expensive PST gen 1 of vortex.

do you have specific model recommendations for the SWFA and Bushnell?

It is more or less the same scope as the Gen 1 PST. Vortex moved PST Gen2 to a different factory and Nikon more or less took over that production line where PST Gen1 was made. They changed the cosmetics and turrets, but that seemed to be largely it.

For $400 it is not so easy to find a good quality variable unless something is severely discounted. With SWFA, their Classic fixed power scopes are mostly in the $300 range and are exceedingly robust.

SWFA does have a few demo scopes for sale and you can get a 3-9x42 SS for around $450. That is a good deal:

ILya

Reactions: superribbit
check Blackhound optics. I like mine
the blackhound looks a lot like my Primary Arms 4-14's ... maybe it's made in the same chinese factory. (i currently have 2 or 3 PA 4-14's)

i'm dumping those when i get replacements that are not made in china (ordered their Glx 4-16)

Why not a SWFA fixed 12. 30 mm tube, made in Japan has parallax adjustment, and the glass is pretty good for 300 bucks.

i have a fixed 3x and fixed 6x (compact PA scopes), and i could never get myself to like them (maybe psychologically i feel its limiting)

Last edited:

Raise your budget a little bit and get a good, Japanese made scope:

SWFA gets my vote. I think their fixed scopes are the best value going. I have a 10x and my buddy has a 12x or 16x, don't remember. The reticle is more than adequate and the glass is fantastic at that price point. Depending on your intentions, an SWFA and a set of Burris XTR Signature rings would be right at $400 and would serve you well for many years.

Yup, SWFA 10x or 12x. Don’t go to the 16x or 20x as they don’t have good enough glass for that level of magnification and just looks dark and fatigues your eye. Exit pupil and FOV is also incredibly tight on the 16 and 20.

The Nikon was discontinued for a reason (before Nikon nuked the scope division), they’re pieces of crap.

Find a scope in the 700 to $800 range... Wait for it to show up on the classified section here for around the dollars that you have

Love the SWFA 12x. So so glass, but good tracking and insane internal adjustment. I have several scopes that are better/more expensive, but I'll probably never get rid of the SWFA 12x. It's a great scope to have around even if you later upgrade to something else.

Just got the Blackhound in today.
‘Turrets are not great similar in my opinion to the vortex DB Tactical.
glass “seems” really good of my back patio. Very clear, good parallax.
nice package with rings, levels and scope caps which are pretty nice....
all for under 400.
I'm giving them a yes, try them for your self.
I may do a lengthier review down the road once I put some time behind it.
‘I paid full price off EBay and have no affiliation with any optics company including Blackhound.

Edit:
this is no where near a Razor, Etc., or even a pst gen 2 (at least in turret feel)

Attachments

• BA5611E2-7009-468E-89C8-CFAC65916F9D.jpeg
    BA5611E2-7009-468E-89C8-CFAC65916F9D.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Bosersman

requirements:
30mm or larger tube
NOT made in china

I don’t believe you will do better in this price range.

Get a hold of Doug from Cameraland.com (Call Him)
Tell him you are from Sniper's Hide and a whole new world will open for you.
If you're not in a hurry you could catch a sale or buy a used scope from the PX
^^^ what he said.

just to be sure, is natchez good to go?
Natchez is awesome.
I have purchased from them many times.
Currently, shipping is a little slow, but you will get what you order in a reasonable time frame.
I recently purchased a "blemished" XTR II 4-20 with the SCR mil reticle.
It was a great deal and I'm very pleased. Just over 600 bucks for a damn fine scope.

requirements:
30mm or larger tube
NOT made in china
I sold my Nikon FX1000 after hearing about Nikon giving in to the anti-gunners. For years Nikon had made too much profit to cancel their riflescope lines, however scopes got better and Nikon couldn't compete that well.

To my way of thinking, I want a scope that is still being made in case I need the warranty.
I called Nikon and asked them, so what happens if I need my scope repaired or replaced?
They couldn't really answer me, so I figured they would just give me a gift card to buy a camera or some other non-riflescope item...

Vortex and many other optics companies not only make better optics but also have better warranties.

I never did like the thick mrad reticle that my Nikon FX1000 had, and the glass wasn't as good as my PST2 either.

Last edited:
I sold my Nikon FX1000 after hearing about Nikon giving in to the anti-gunners. For years Nikon had made too much profit to cancel their riflescope lines, however scopes got better and Nikon couldn't compete that well.

To my way of thinking, I want a scope that is still being made in case I need the warranty.
I called Nikon and asked them, so what happens if I need my scope repaired or replaced?
They couldn't really answer me, so I figured they would just give me a gift card to buy a camera or some other non-riflescope item...

Vortex and many other optics companies not only make better optics but also have better warranties.

I never did like the thick mrad reticle that my Nikon FX1000 had, and the glass wasn't as good as my PST2 either.
Nikon glass wasn't keeping up the new tech ? And your pstII glass is better. I'm going to take a closer look at them.

Vortex strike Eagle 4-24x50 = $299 at euro optic.
great scope for $

Vortex strike Eagle 4-24x50 = $299 at euro optic.
great scope for $
unfortunately, i am only considering non-china made scopes.

(yes i know lots of the parts are still from china, still doesnt mean i cant do my little part)