• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

408 cheytac loads

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
Hey guys,

I'm about to start loading for my new windrunner in 408ct as soon as my dies arrive from ch4d. I picked up 100 pieces of Bertram brass, 100 rocky mountain bullets, federal 215m primers, and retumbo. Edm arms told me to load at 131 grains and call it a day. They told me that charge should get me 2725 fps. I was hoping for a lot more velocity than that.

What load is everyone else using and what velocity are you getting?

Anybody try the lehigh bullets? They are about half the price and higher bc than the rocky mountains.

Re: 408 cheytac loads

You should be able to get 2800-2850 in the 408 and Bertram brass which is the equal of Lapua.

Loads will depend on the bullet you're using. I have no experience with the RockyMountain bullets, so you're best getting advice from them.

When the .408CT was starting to take off around 2006, the high performance bullet most were using was the LRBT 419gr copper/nickel alloy solid. I used to push it to 2900fps and get amazing performance beyond a mile (crushing .338LM). In 2007, LRBT went under and the equipment was bought by Hooker Tactical and Jamison (IIRC). Hooker charged more for the already expensive bullets and by 2008, Jamison was making them in bulk (but still expensive).

The Lehighs introduced a more economical option around 2009, but they were finicky from my experience. With the Jamison solids I would load them to kiss the lands, but the Lehighs needed more of a jump and finding the optimal amount was a struggle (for me). Also, I couldn't seem to get better performance out of them than the Jamisons beyond a mile, so they became a load I'd have saved up for when I took friends to the range with me. It didn't hurt as much shooting those into 600 yard targets
wink.gif

There are other .408 bullets out there now and apparently Cheytac is back in business making the 419gr solid, but I can't really attest to how any of them perform. Ultimately, most .408 shooters I know transitioned to the .375CT as it is ballistically superior and has more bullet options.

We are pushing the 420gr bullets close to 3000fps with 135gr of Retumbo, Jamison brass. Actually in 2 of our 408`s.

Are these bullets accurate beyond their supersonic range? If so, I suppose supersonic range and muzzle velocity is less important. I would love to see close to 3000 fps though.

- Jamison International: “419gr solid copper projectile”

- RL- 25 powder charge “125.0grs”

- Cartridge Overall Length max “4.307in”. Personal set length at “4.300in”

- Federal #215 Regular Magnum Large Rifle Primer

- Average Velocity: 2,886 to 2,900 FPS

- Ballistic Coefficient: 0.940 “ Average over 3,500 yards”

- Resized Jamison brass : “3.05in”

- Rocky Mountain: “420gr” projectile

- RL-25 powder charge :“126.0grs”

- Cartridge Overall Length max: “4.307in”. Personal set length “ 4.300in “

- Federal #215 Match Magnum Large Rifle Primer

- Velocity “ UNK “

- Ballistic Coefficient: “ 0.861”

- Resized Jamison brass: “3.05in”

Where are you getting the Jamison bullets? Or did you just stock up when they were still in business?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNENTHUSIAST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your saying Bertram is as good as lapua? </div></div>

Bertram is stronger than Jamison 408 brass

What powder charges are you guys using with 419 or 420 grain bullets and Retumbo? Also What muzzle velocity are you guys getting?

Thanks!

I was looking for anyone else to compare to yours. From what little I have seen out there, your loads seem a little beyond the norm.

136 grains of retumbo
cutting edge bullets
Jamison brass
2960 fps.

Ohio ain't that far from Virginia let's get together.

Thanks for the info. What length barrel are you using?
Sounds like a good time to me.

29" barrel. I ordered 31" from Lawton which went out of business so I had to get one from Benchmark. I ordered the same from them and waited for 3 months got mad and told them to send me what they had. I ended up with a 30" stainless which finished at 29. Since I wanted to shoot the solids I had to get the thinner rifling. I am very happy with it. Vestal's custom guns did a excellent job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNENTHUSIAST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

I'm about to start loading for my new windrunner in 408ct as soon as my dies arrive from ch4d. I picked up 100 pieces of Bertram brass, 100 rocky mountain bullets, federal 215m primers, and retumbo. Edm arms told me to load at 131 grains and call it a day. They told me that charge should get me 2725 fps. I was hoping for a lot more velocity than that.

What load is everyone else using and what velocity are you getting?

Anybody try the lehigh bullets? They are about half the price and higher bc than the rocky mountains.</div></div>

Check this out:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1716107

How are the cutting edge bullets performing for you? How far have you tested them? The Rocky Mountain bullets, while very accurate, are only showing supersonic to 2200 yards in my calculator due to their low .86 BC. That's just not going to cut it. I obviously need a higher BC bullet that is shot at least 2900 fps. That will give me a 2500+ yard supersonic range which is as far as I can shoot at the range I go to. 2200 yards barely beats a 338lm and that's not what I got a chey Tac for.

I have shot them out to 2030 yards with success. I have a Benchmark barrel with thiner rifling which is a must for the solids. We are planning on shooting out to 2700 in a week or so I'll let you know how we do. We are setting at 2300 feet and according to my shooter app I don't go subsonic until I hit the 2600 yardstick. I have shot my Lapua out to 2449 yards and it made the transition from super to sub with out any problems. I shoot Berger 300s in it and i expect the same performance out of my CT. It sounds like you have a great place to shoot but you are welcome to come shoot with us anytime. We have taken several hide members shooting and they have always been courteous and a plesure to shoot with...

FWIW I recieved a phone call last week from Jamison saying that they are back in business. Has anyone else heard anything?

Not necessarily. I would contact EDM and ask them your gun has the "Lost River Bore". If it does NOT you can still shoot them you just have to drop the powder due to pressure. But you will not be able to achieve the velocity you're wanting.

Yes, you can shoot solids out of the .408 EDM barrel - it was designed for that. For many years the only bullets designed for that cartridge were solids.

I'm glad to hear that. Is it true that Jamison is back in business? I might want to try their bullets.

There were rumors for the past few months that Jamison was in the process of being back up and running. I don't think anything is confirmed yet.

Lodi,

Did you guys make it out to 2700 yards last week like you mentioned? Just curious how it went?

Unfortunately we didn't get to go and this close to deer season we probably won't get to go back to that location due to the land owner's request. There is one more place we have access to with that distance but I'm not sure if we'll get to go there anytime soon. If we get the opportunity I'll let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lodi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately we didn't get to go and this close to deer season we probably won't get to go back to that location due to the land owner's request. There is one more place we have access to with that distance but I'm not sure if we'll get to go there anytime soon. If we get the opportunity I'll let you know. </div></div>

pm sent