• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

40x question

Hoier

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Peyton, CO
Hey guys I just picked a 40x that I bought, and it looks like it's never been fired. I know that it was built in 1965 and it's a CMP but has a matching bolt. Do you guys have any idea what this thing could be worth?

I was told when I got mine if it had had a matching bolt it'd be $800-1000 depending on condition. Mine was a barreled action only. I found the bolt but the guy that had it wouldn't trade it for a new PTG bolt. His loss. Six years later it kicks ass. Anyway, if it's really nice about a grand or so. At least that's what I've been told. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I started shooting it and it shoots great so I don't care what it's worth. Haha. Hopefully this off season I can send it off to Jonathan for the conversion.

A "US Property" stamp can add to the price if it has one. I think '65 may be a bit late for it, but if it's a "USMC Property" rifle then they tend to command a bit better price.
As with any of our toys, it comes down to how it shoots, what condition it's in, and what someone will pay for it you move on. I just mention those receiver stamps because they can bump the value a bit from the base 40X

It doesn't say "USMC property" it just has US marked above where it says 22 long rifle and the serial number.

It doesn't say "USMC property" it just has US marked above where it says 22 long rifle and the serial number.

Still a nice find. US marked 40X's are sought after and typically command a higher price.

I wouldn't take less than $800 for mine. Std weigh barrel, parkerized finish, after market adjustable butt plate added, non matching bolt. When I first got it from the CMP I was going to send it back because it looked so bad. Cleaned the bore well and shot some groups, accurate, so I kept it and cleaned it up.
You might want to reconsider cutting it up.

You don't really have to 'cut it up' to do RAVAGE88's repeater conversion. Yes, there's a rectangular mag well cut into the bottom of the receiver for the magazine top to fit up into, and the feed tray/ejector gets shortened/modified to work around the mag well, but if you were to want to convert it back to a single shot, all you'd need would be another stock feed tray/ejector to replace the one modified for the repeater conversion. The work done on the bolt nose for the repeater won't keep it from working as a single shot, either.

I had Jonathan convert my old 722-style CMP 40X first, mostly because it was in a lot rougher condition than the remaining 40XB I bought through the CMP. In fact, the 40XB was in pretty good shape, maybe very good to excellent depending on who grades it. However, I pulled the factory truck axle bbl & replaced it with a Krieger in sendero contour that I fitted & chambered with a PTG EPS reamer while waiting on Jonathan to get ready to do another run of repeater conversions. It's a hammer with a couple of lots of SK Rifle Match - in fact, I've yet to find a lot# of Lapua Center-X that will shoot better than either of the lots of SK in the Krieger. So I'm very much looking forward to getting it sent off to Jonathan so I can get it bedded in a stock & CeraKoted after getting it back. Though I kind of wanted to keep this 40XB in restored stock condition just so I'd have examples of two of the premier U.S.- made smallbore target rifles (I restored a nice Win 52D purchased from CMP) I knew I wouldn't be shooting it much in prone with that heavy bbl. So off came the OEM bbl & stock, and I'll be shooting it tons as a repeater in a good tactical stock.

Magazine cut in 40X Single Shot as part of the Repeater Conversion:

20z1f7l.jpg

As Flat stated, the remainder of the work involves machining or replacing the OEM Bolt Nose and Feed/Ejector tray. I now make the Repeater Ejector and Bolt Noses, so the need to machine the OEM parts is not required.

MB

Magazine cut in 40X Single Shot as part of the Repeater Conversion:

20z1f7l.jpg

As Flat stated, the remainder of the work involves machining or replacing the OEM Bolt Nose and Feed/Ejector tray. I now make the Repeater Ejector and Bolt Noses, so the need to machine the OEM parts is not required.

MB

That's a lot less.....invasive than I imagined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The repeater solution is as elegant as I can make it. Aside from the magazine cut, the counterbore for the new ejector screw is machined a little larger, but that's all the work required to the receiver.

MB

Last edited: