• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40X repeater conversion

The Blackops conversion looked to be fairly straight forward, as far as machining the bottom of the action. It's the mags that will present a problem to someone looking to do this mod as well as someone who already has.

My thinking is that, since Black Ops already did this once, hopefully someone else with will come out with a conversion to fill the gap.

Winchester 52. All done for you. Before you say no aftermarket parts, I will say no need for them. One person does not live long enough to wear one out.

Kinda silly Remington doesn't put out a 40x 22rf repeater again..."for a reasonable price".

I'm not complaining. The current prices on new 40X centerfires is pretty crazy. I don't think I'd want to buy a new one. All I want is someone to do a conversion for the same price BlackOps Precision claimed.

Winchester 52. All done for you. Before you say no aftermarket parts, I will say no need for them. One person does not live long enough to wear one out.

Do you mean repair parts? I tend to think of "aftermarket" as upgrades or alterations to suit specific needs and preferences.

I am saying shoot it like it is. It needs no repair, no mod etc, just shoot it.

It seems like someone else was talking about doing conversions before BlackOps actually did it. I would swear there is another thread floating around this site on that subject as it was posted in a manner of, if I do this how many would order it? That being said, IIRC there was something along the lines of a $60k investment in injection molding for the magazines for the conversion. When the dust settles, and there is some form of re-organization maybe we'll see the conversions and magazines again. Not saying I would hold my breath very long though.

Personally, I think there was an opportunity that was missed. I think the conversion that needs to be built uses something like a PTG 40X bolt and a SA 700 receiver.

I think it was CDI that started the whole ball rolling. Then BO came along and made one or two rifles before he went under.

Dorgan has a BO conversion and it is very cool. But he only has the one magazine... One stinking mag.

I dont think there will ever be enough of a market for them for someone to spend big money tooling up. Maybe. Punching the hole in the receiver is the easy part, mags are the deal breaker.

The Black Ops Conversion was great. The did it smart and tooled up for it to do many at a time, but when their partnership or whatever caused them to collapse, it ended and they took their exclusive mags with them. It is not an easy conversion by any means and this is the reason why you see mostly pics with the people who did it saying the will not do another. The receiver metal is very hard and the bolt cuts are finicky, there there is the mag and feeding.

Wayne Juergens did some . Maybe he is still doing them.
Remington 40X Repeater - $2200

I sold mine and went back to a sako finnfire range. At least the mags are still out there.

I know that Stiller is working on a prototype of their 40X clone repeating action now, although they would not commit to a timeline for the actual product launch. Given how long it took from when BO announced to when they actually started doing the work, I think we are looking at a 1-2 year wait, but that is pure speculation on my part.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

I wonder how well it would work to skip the idea of bottom metal entirely. How about something along the lines of an aluminum block shaped to fit in the empty mag well of a Remington 700 inlet stock. Use the same hole that holds the ejector in place. Got plenty of space to work with. Use a aluminum BDL bottom metal and remove the floorplate. Make it use Marlin 795 magazines. If necessary, come up with a simple modification the magazines that can be done by a local smith or a dremel tool. Just throwing some ideas out there.

ETA: Such a conversion would also have the tertiary benefit of not screwing up the feeding when changing stocks. Any stock used would only require sufficient clearance of the magazine adapter block. Shouldn't even have to send in the stock when sending out the rifle for conversion.

Last edited:
If Remi relaunched to 40x in 22lr, and made it a repeater that was built to the same quality standards/materials as the 40x's built during the 60's..... It would be priced well north of 2k! No different than buying a Cooper or Annie. I doubt Remi could make a 40x to the same standards it did 50 years ago anyway!