• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

416 barrett ammo

RWSGunsmithing

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2006
    Manning, Iowa
    www.rwsgunsmithing.com
    So I have a customer who wants to build a 416 barrett but I'm having troubles finding ammo for the thing. Looking for around 200 rounds. If someone could PM me in the direction to find some I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

Have you contacted Randy at Thunder Ammo? He may either have some loaded already and/or may have components to load some for your pretty fast.

Southern Arms Company website shows they have 20 boxes of 10 in stock too.

You may also want to check with Lehigh Defense and Cutting Edge to see if they have enough components to load some for you.

Sincerely,
    THEIS

Last edited:
    Unless your customer can load his own he may want to consider a different caliber. Barrett 416 brass is scarce & loaded ammo ever scarcer. Everyone I know shooting that caliber loads their own and makes tbeir brass from cut down & necked 50 caliber brass.

The best bullet for the 416 Barrett is the Cutting Edge 472 MTAC. The ONLY brass worth using is available from Barrett and is manufactured by Ruag. All other brass is manufactured by PPU.

Necking down or whatever is not going to give you the best brass. New box Ammo Barrett is selling has the new ruag brass and a cutting edge bullet. It is still a caliber that needs to be hand loaded.

Typically with a 472 grain bullet .... Accuracy is found 3160-3170 fps.
    Good luck.
    Chris Schmidt

Reactions: Northman623
    What is involved in forming brass for it?

I dont make it myself but have friends that do. They have had good success with making the brass and Lehigh bullets. They do complain about how much work & time it takes forming the brass though. But it shoots well.

I am new to this forum and could not find anything too recent about the 416 B and thought I'd post this here in case you can give me some advice.

I am not new to reloading, but I just started reloading for the 416 Barrett (Barrett M99). In 2009, I started reloading match ammo for my Barrett M99 50 BMG and bought a NECO concentricity gauge. My match reloads were very concentric (bullet runout, neck runout, banana bend, etc). However, I am using the "bells and whistle's" reloading tools and dies for the 50 BMG. I just cannot find these types of reloading tools for the 416 Barrett. I full length sized the 416B brass and seated the bullets with an RCBS 416 B die set. I measured the concentricity of the loaded cartridges and decided to invest in a 416 B bullet puller since the cartridges were so out of concentricity, it will not be worth shooting them. A lot of bullet runout causing significant banana bend. I saw articles on rotating the cartridge as the bullet is seated. Does anyone have success with this technique? I'll likely invest in an RCBS neck sizer as well to see if that helps and turn my necks next go-around. Looks like only Lee and RCBS make dies for the 416 B with not too many "bells and whistles". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am trying to work a load for the Cutting Edge 452 MTAC. Wasn't worth wasting the money by shooting these loads.

I am new to this forum and could not find anything too recent about the 416 B and thought I'd post this here in case you can give me some advice.

I am not new to reloading, but I just started reloading for the 416 Barrett (Barrett M99). In 2009, I started reloading match ammo for my Barrett M99 50 BMG and bought a NECO concentricity gauge. My match reloads were very concentric (bullet runout, neck runout, banana bend, etc). However, I am using the "bells and whistle's" reloading tools and dies for the 50 BMG. I just cannot find these types of reloading tools for the 416 Barrett. I full length sized the 416B brass and seated the bullets with an RCBS 416 B die set. I measured the concentricity of the loaded cartridges and decided to invest in a 416 B bullet puller since the cartridges were so out of concentricity, it will not be worth shooting them. A lot of bullet runout causing significant banana bend. I saw articles on rotating the cartridge as the bullet is seated. Does anyone have success with this technique? I'll likely invest in an RCBS neck sizer as well to see if that helps and turn my necks next go-around. Looks like only Lee and RCBS make dies for the 416 B with not too many "bells and whistles". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am trying to work a load for the Cutting Edge 452 MTAC. Wasn't worth wasting the money by shooting these loads.

Don't turn your necks. Waste of time. I have enjoyed a significant amount of time testing, shooting and recently competing with a M99 416.
    The M99 likes light neck tension. Invest in a K&M mandrel. I would, also, invest in good brass and not use the older PPU brass.
    Neck sizing is not needed.
    FL size the brass.
    Good Shooting
    Chris Schmidt

Thanks for the information. I have never used mandrels but just researched the topic and it makes sense. I also saw Sinclair has a mandrel that is constructed in a way that the mandrel "floats" to help find the exact centerline of the case. I do use K&M products and I don't take your advice lightly since you have the experience, but after reading Sinclairs information on their mandrel, I'm on the fence which one to buy. Have you tried Sinclairs mandrel or know someone with experience with it to give an opinion either way? Also, the brass I am using for the 416 is from loaded factory ammo I bought from Barrett in 2011 loaded with hornandy's 450 BTHP I am currently still shooting. I am not sure who manufactured the brass. It's headstamp reads simply ".416" and "Barrett". Not sure if its PPU.

Thanks for the information. I have never used mandrels but just researched the topic and it makes sense. I also saw Sinclair has a mandrel that is constructed in a way that the mandrel "floats" to help find the exact centerline of the case. I do use K&M products and I don't take your advice lightly since you have the experience, but after reading Sinclairs information on their mandrel, I'm on the fence which one to buy. Have you tried Sinclairs mandrel or know someone with experience with it to give an opinion either way? Also, the brass I am using for the 416 is from loaded factory ammo I bought from Barrett in 2011 loaded with hornandy's 450 BTHP I am currently still shooting. I am not sure who manufactured the brass. It's headstamp reads simply ".416" and "Barrett". Not sure if its PPU.

I FL sized the brass then used a K&M mandrel right before I seated a Cutting Edge bullet. Yes sir, you are definitely using PPU brass. You will be amazed at the difference when you get some of the new Ruag brass.
    Anneal the brass after each firing. I got 5 firings from the brass, but we push the 472's fairly hard.
    Good luck brother.
    Chris Schmidt

The PPU brass's head stamp says "BARRETT 416" and the new RAUG brass says "BARRETT 416 BARRETT". I agree no neck turning needed with RAUG, and I use a busing die. Shooting the 472 also at 3120 (ish). Getting about 6-7 firings before the pockets are gone. Beltram is prototyping some new brass, that is much tougher. I have a few pieces, gonna let her rip this weekend.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716401015333728/ (416 Barrett Rifles) quite a few of us over there sharing information.

Thanks for all the advice guys!! And I took it. I just purchased RUAG brass and the K&M mandrel. The wait will seem like a year before they get here. Cutting Edge recommended to use RL-50, at least for the 452 MTAC. Out of curiosity, what powders are you using for the big 472?

Thanks for all the advice guys!! And I took it. I just purchased RUAG brass and the K&M mandrel. The wait will seem like a year before they get here. Cutting Edge recommended to use RL-50, at least for the 452 MTAC. Out of curiosity, what powders are you using for the big 472?

I consider Dan and Trap at Cutting Edge friends, and either will provide you with "honest broker" advice.
    I used Reloader 50 last year in the Ko2m, and the 472 grain MTAC. The BC of the larger bullet was required for those distances. We were hunting for every bit of help we could get, and the 472 really does well.

I, in my humble opinion, believe you will appreciate the mandrel. I tried it last year and found the mandrel step very beneficial. Others may find additional ways to accurately reload it.

The M99 is a tank and one tough SOB. Enjoy my friend.
    Chris Schmidt

The bullets from RMBULLETS have a higher Bc than cutting edge.

Aluminum tipped hunting/match 450 grain .905 and their solid copper is 450 grain 1.002

George told me that McMillan was using his bullet at an NRA event shooting the hunting/match bullet hitting 1moa at 3,600 yards repetitiously. This was several years ago he told me that.
    I have used the hunt/match alot, seem to be very nice.

I assume most have seen them, so why don't you use them? I don't think I found a bullet that 2k shooter hasn't already tried so I am thinking maybe there is something about the round that's no good maybe? Thoughts?

It took a bit of trigger work on my M99 to get it sub moa. Polishing, trigger pull length, and my shooting position. But the accuracy I am getting from mine is way under that of manufacturers claims..

I called the tech line and asked tons of questions about it.
    He had said the barrel will last several thousand rounds before needing changed and expect about 1.5 moa accuracy

He also said that the barrel being changed is an expensive ordeal

Last edited:
    The bullets from RMBULLETS have a higher Bc than cutting edge.

Aluminum tipped hunting/match 450 grain .905 and their solid copper is 450 grain 1.002

George told me that McMillan was using his bullet at an NRA event shooting the hunting/match bullet hitting 1moa at 3,600 yards repetitious lyrics. This was several years ago he told me that.
    I have used the hunt/match alot, seem to be very nice.

I assume most have seen them, so why don't you use them? I don't think I found a bullet that 2k shooter hasn't already tried so I am thinking maybe there is something about the round that's no good maybe? Thoughts?

It took a bit of trigger work on my M99 to get it sub moa. Polishing, trigger pull length, and my shooting position. But the accuracy I am getting from mine is way under that of manufacturers claims..

I called the tech line and asked tons of questions about it.
    He had said the barrel will last several thousand rounds before needing changed and expect about 1.5 moa accuracy

He also said that the barrel being changed is an expensive ordeal

The barrel I have on mine is a Krieger unlined/or not chrome lined. It was pressed into the M99, and yes I understand it is a costly thing to change barrels.
    As for my round count .... Maybe 1200 max. I have 650 ish on my barrel, but I will not be using it in competitions this year.
    Yes, it does take a considerable amount of work to get the trigger manageable.
    Cutting Edge makes the best bullet.... That is my opinion but I will qualify my statement by saying I received support from the company.
    The 416..... Again in my humble opinion really needs a long long barrel to squeeze every ounce of BC out of that bullet. 32" isn't long enough for a KO2M type event. That being said .... A 100% stock m99 finished 2nd last year. It is a accurate system. Ronnie performed very well with it.
    The M99 can be made very accurate with quality components and time behind the complete system. I am a fan of my M99, but chose a custom built by Mitch Fitzpatrick built specifically for ELR/ULR competitions..... A lot of thought went into the change..... Several months of thought.
    Good luck my friend
    Chris Schmidt

Cant really compare the ELR bullet's ballistic coefficient in a G1 or G7 drag model, between projectiles. The drag models dont come close to modeling real downrange performance, and as such the coefficient into the model is equally misleading to accurately assesses overall performance, especially out past 1000 yards. The best comparison metric Ive seen so far is AB custom drag models, and the 4DOF looks promising but very limited in projectiles.

Im sure the RMBullets are great bullets but its an unfair comparison to say one has a higher BC than the other, so it must be a better bullet. For example for the 472 MTAC I've modeled the G7 coefficients as @900 .59 G7, @1550 .51 G7, @2100 .44 G7. So what number does someone say the bullet is?

The barrel I have on mine is a Krieger unlined/or not chrome lined. It was pressed into the M99, and yes I understand it is a costly thing to change barrels.
    As for my round count .... Maybe 1200 max. I have 650 ish on my barrel, but I will not be using it in competitions this year.
    Yes, it does take a considerable amount of work to get the trigger manageable.
    Cutting Edge makes the best bullet.... That is my opinion but I will qualify my statement by saying I received support from the company.
    The 416..... Again in my humble opinion really needs a long long barrel to squeeze every ounce of BC out of that bullet. 32" isn't long enough for a KO2M type event. That being said .... A 100% stock m99 finished 2nd last year. It is a accurate system. Ronnie performed very well with it.
    The M99 can be made very accurate with quality components and time behind the complete system. I am a fan of my M99, but chose a custom built by Mitch Fitzpatrick built specifically for ELR/ULR competitions..... A lot of thought went into the change..... Several months of thought.
    Good luck my friend
    Chris Schmidt

Hey Chris, Im happy to hear about another person who has agonized over the thoughts of re-barreling the m99 :) . Its such a sweet package with the interrupted thread bolt, bullpup, and overall light weight. Would you be willing to share some more info about your m99 build, ie barrel length, twist, velocity, load data? Im getting close to finalizing my next 416 build. Thanks!

Has anyone else tried them?
    I did not say they are a better bullet. when I first started sourcing bullets, looking at specs, and comparing them to others, I found these to have the higher Bc. I think that is the best way to start testing is with the manufacturers stated specs.

So, what is the real world testing say about these? The 472g wasn't around when I was getting into this.

Hey Chris, Im happy to hear about another person who has agonized over the thoughts of re-barreling the m99 :) . Its such a sweet package with the interrupted thread bolt, bullpup, and overall light weight. Would you be willing to share some more info about your m99 build, ie barrel length, twist, velocity, load data? Im getting close to finalizing my next 416 build. Thanks!

My barrel is a 12 twist like all of the M99's. 32". The velocity band using reloader 50 and cutting edge 472 grain bullet is 3160-3170 fps. It is a pressured load and was tested for pressure in Barrett's tunnel. I don't suggest over pressuring a load, but we were looking for that proven accuracy band. The new ruag brass will allow you to do it. Using the old brass and you would need a hammer to open the bolt.

I tested several powders and reloader 50 seemed the best for the CE bullet. I would be afraid to give my exact charge weight for fear of someone doing something stupid, plus the powder lots vary greatly. I was in the high 180's with one lot, and middle 190's in another lot. Same reloading practice, same dimensions and same brass. Go figure.

If I were building a 416, I would get a 40" finished bartlein barrel and use one of CE's new lazer single feeds.

The CE 375 400 grain laser and the 472 grain MTAC are curiosly close to the same BC. Maybe the new CE 472 laser will have a even higher affected BC. Great bullet, great company and two of the finest individuals you will ever meet (Dan and Trap)

My barrel is a 12 twist like all of the M99's. 32". The velocity band using reloader 50 and cutting edge 472 grain bullet is 3160-3170 fps. It is a pressured load and was tested for pressure in Barrett's tunnel. I don't suggest over pressuring a load, but we were looking for that proven accuracy band. The new ruag brass will allow you to do it. Using the old brass and you would need a hammer to open the bolt.

I tested several powders and reloader 50 seemed the best for the CE bullet. I would be afraid to give my exact charge weight for fear of someone doing something stupid, plus the powder lots vary greatly. I was in the high 180's with one lot, and middle 190's in another lot. Same reloading practice, same dimensions and same brass. Go figure.

If I were building a 416, I would get a 40" finished bartlein barrel and use one of CE's new lazer single feeds.

The CE 375 400 grain laser and the 472 grain MTAC are curiosly close to the same BC. Maybe the new CE 472 laser will have a even higher affected BC. Great bullet, great company and two of the finest individuals you will ever meet (Dan and Trap)

Gotcha thanks for the info, I assumed you re-barreled with something other then a 32 1:12. I'm currently running a 32 1:10 with the hopes of running the heavier projectiles (525 gr), but pressures were too high with RE50 and H50 and US869 did not launch fast enough out of the 32 inch to better the 472gr& re50 at 3125-3160 ish. We are in the same range with re50, mtac 472s and Raug brass. Im looking hard at a 38-40 in barrel, and the new 500 - 525 ish CE bullets, or turning my own. But unsure about twist, I see the .375 guys are doing 7-8 twist, for bullets in the same bc/caliber class. That just seems soo fast for such a big projectile.

Thanks again!

Gotcha thanks for the info, I assumed you re-barreled with something other then a 32 1:12. I'm currently running a 32 1:10 with the hopes of running the heavier projectiles (525 gr), but pressures were too high with RE50 and H50 and US869 did not launch fast enough out of the 32 inch to better the 472gr& re50 at 3125-3160 ish. We are in the same range with re50, mtac 472s and Raug brass. Im looking hard at a 38-40 in barrel, and the new 500 - 525 ish CE bullets, or turning my own. But unsure about twist, I see the .375 guys are doing 7-8 twist, for bullets in the same bc/caliber class. That just seems soo fast for such a big projectile.

Thanks again!

The 500 grain CE bullet would be awesome with a truck axle for a barrel. I would think that would work well..... Seriously, I would have done that myself but the availability of the barrel was a mystery.
    I changed or will receive my new rifle in the next few weeks that utilizes a 7 twist on a long barrel 375 (JJ Rock action and McMillan beast). It seems there are two paths to follow ... 375 or a 416. Both great calibers but both go about it two different ways. We shall see how well it goes.
    I know that I enjoyed the 416 and had a great experience with it.

The PPU brass's head stamp says "BARRETT 416" and the new RAUG brass says "BARRETT 416 BARRETT". I agree no neck turning needed with RAUG, and I use a busing die. Shooting the 472 also at 3120 (ish). Getting about 6-7 firings before the pockets are gone. Beltram is prototyping some new brass, that is much tougher. I have a few pieces, gonna let her rip this weekend.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716401015333728/ (416 Barrett Rifles) quite a few of us over there sharing information.

I'm assuming you mean Bertram. Is that the brass that Ed Hubel has been trying to get for his 416 HSM cartridge or one of Mark Fox/Pro's cartridges?

I'm assuming you mean Bertram. Is that the brass that Ed Hubel has been trying to get for his 416 HSM cartridge or one of Mark Fox/Pro's cartridges?

Hi,

I doubt it is for either of those. Bruce is looking at increasing his business by testing waters to see if he can spin up one of his larger machines for larger brass such as 416B. I have a few of them for testing too. I can send you one if you would like.

Sincerely,
    THEIS

Has there been any field testing on Ed's 416 HSM? If that can handle another 10k psi its a pretty big step forward for the 416.