• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.416 Barrett Custom Rifle Being Built, Suggestions

mmtuning

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
Coshocton Ohio
Hello All,
I am getting a 416 Barrett built on a McMillan Action, Jewell Trigger, Mcmillan Tac50 stock in woodland, and wanted some sort of 5r barrel but not sure on which brand. This is an odd caliber and not sure if anyone has any wisdom to throw my way before I order these parts. Thanks in advance!

Re: .416 Barrett Custom Rifle Being Built, Suggestions

Looking to use it for long range target and possibly big game hunting. I like the flat shooting characteristics, superior bc, and how the cartridge is designed. Also, it is somewhat of a wildcat but ammo is still commercially avail from Barrett.

Have you guys ever heard of a 416b having overpressure and extractor issues? Another member on here pm'd me sugg I should look into the 375viersco, but this is waaaayyy too experimental for my tastes, also wanting a repeater action, NOT single shot. Has anyone ever heard of Brux barrels?

Have you looked into 375 Cheytac?

I've been reading this forum for years.Unless I missed it somewhere I haven't read of anybody having great success with 416B.

The 375CT has been around a few years,is proven and capable of sending 350 grainers with a 1+BC at 3100 fps very accurately.With a heavy rifle and muzzle brake the recoil is tame.

Thats interesting. Is this round based off the 50bmg platform? I will have to do some research as to its long range capabilities

Jamison international is making 375CT headstamp brass now but formerly it was necked down from 408CT.

I've thought about selling mine a few times cause I don't shoot it as much as warranted but then when shot against other long range cartridges at 2000+ yards the extra speed and BC becomes apparent and then I end up keeping it
grin.gif

Here's some pics of steel at various distances and my rifle.

1000Y with some different loads.I chose the load/4 shot group at the top right of the plate.
DSC00119.jpg

1450 yards.A little windy that day.The small splats are the 375CT.
DSC00178.jpg

2000 and 2500Y from mine and friends 375CT'S
DSC00140.jpg

The rifle has a Lawton 8000 action,40MOA base,old style Mcrees stock,HEAVY steel forend I machined myself,rifle basics trigger,setup weighs 34 lbs.NF 5.5-22x56 mil/mil.

DSC00132.jpg

Good shooting. The 375 and 408 are considerably smaller than the 416b so it must be inherit in the design to be able to maintain higher bc and velocitys out to that range. What costs are associated with the ammo and how avail is it?

It's mostly because of the high BC especially with the 375CT.

I couldn't tell you anything about factory ammo.I've always done my own handloads.I think Cheytac,the company is out of business now.You could call Jamison to find out about availability of ammo and components.There's some custom handloading businesses here on the Hide that would likely load for you,not sure though.

Some of the lathe turned solid projectile manufacturers are designing 400+ grain .375 solids that have a near 1.25 BC.I don't think that there are any that are 100% proven yet but when they make one that works reliably it should be sonic to around 3100Y.

For reloading...The brass is about $2.50 a piece and so are the solid projo's.I use 132.5 grains of Retumbo behind the 350's to give you an idea of powder capacity.

The new Hornady.416 450grn match projos may be the answer for the 416 Barrett.
Time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new Hornady.416 450grn match projos may be the answer for the 416 Barrett.
Time will tell.
</div></div>
I heard that barrett has gone from using the bronze lathed bullets to using these new Hornady 450 grainers. Anyone know more about this?

For that action i highly recommend the XLR chassis. My review of it is in this forum.
About the same price as the TAC 50, less than half of the wait to get it built, and an overall better design.

.408 CheyTac > .416 Barrett. You're already spending a considerable amount- might as well get the current accuracy record holder in a caliber that has the bugs worked out. It usually comes in a more portable weapon system- important if you're an actual hunter, but of course meaningless if you're a benchrest/road hunter.

However, if you aren't already trained in using such a weapon, I would start with a 7.62 NATO or 300 Win Mag rifle, fire a few thousand rounds until you're proficient, then move on up.

I just got the Model 99 bolt in .416 Barrett and have been shooting the 450 grain. I haven't shot more than 20 rnds yet but haven't seen a single sign of cratered primers, highly polished extractor marks, or difficulty unlocking the bolt. You should hear those clang on 500-600 yd plates!
smile.gif
I'll post a photo of the fired brass in a bit. btw, I can barely pick it up haha. The effective range for hunting could make for some kind of drag! btw what looks like a small dimple in the primers is a reflection of the flash in the center.
fired_416_brass.jpg

How is that Tac 416 working out for you? I am building a custom barrett M99 myself. The McMillans are more expensive and not in my budget at this time. Curious as to what all you've had done to you .416 and how it is performing for you.

The problem with the 416 is lack of suitable powder. US 869 is what Barrett uses and it is temp sensitive. Until a better powder and bullet comes out, the 408 and 375 beats the 416.

excaliber:

RL50 is suppose to be quite temp insensitive. The issue before last of <span style="font-style: italic">Very High Power</span> had an article that included raves about it - from a guy who recently shot an FCSA record with it.

If a person is willing to experiment with the big 416, it definitely has potential. Maybe say, duplex loads, and/or turned bullets, or ????. If somebody is willing to pay for the testing, I`ll do it for them.