• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

44 mag plinking loads - anyone try Red Dot

corsair_001

Private
Minuteman
So I'm almost out of Unique, now I need another powder for my 44 mag plinker loads. Using 240 gr LSWC. Has anyone tried Red Dot with success? I ask cause I have a bunch of Red Dot and can't seem to find any other pistol powders in my area.
Thanks,
C1

So I'm almost out of Unique, now I need another powder for my 44 mag plinker loads. Using 240 gr LSWC. Has anyone tried Red Dot with success? I ask cause I have a bunch of Red Dot and can't seem to find any other pistol powders in my area.
Thanks,
C1

Trail Boss?
I've used Blue Dot and while not a powder puff, it was definitely reduced as compared to H110.

6.0 to about 7.5 Red Dot gets you between 800 and about 950fps, barrel length considered. Depends on how you'd define plinking. If you wanted to move up the scale a bit, Power Pistol has worked very well for me in 45 Colt with 260gr cast swc's. 231, AA5, Herco, 4756, Power Pistol, even 2400 in light doses. Again, depends a bit on desired velocity and how hard a cast bullet you're shooting. If pure lead swc's, keep velocity down, or you'll spend more time cleaning your bore than shooting, unless bore's been lapped. You've got lots of options, if you can find the powder.

Yep, going to chrono on Friday. Have 6.0, 6.2, and 6.5 of Red Dot to test in the morning. Also put together some 800X as I have about 3 pounds, and I've got a 1/2 pound of tite-group so trying a load there also. I'm really hoping the red dot does well so I can save what's remaining on my other powders. Just can't seem to find pistol powder around here these days. My all time favorite I was migrating to for most of my fun loads was HP-38 / 231.
Regards,
C1

Target velocity is 850-900.

Last edited:
Two things I'd also mention-both good no matter what you're loading. A solid crimp is good-and essential, but not to be overdone for target/midrange loads. Bullet pull of .002-.003 max for soft bullets will provide best ignition and lower SD/ES. Second is fit of bullet to cylinder throat, assuming barrel groove diameter is just slightly smaller than bullet, and bullet a snug, even but not overly tight fit to cylinder throats, and just a half thou above barrel groove diameter. .4305 throat, .430 bullet, .4295 barrel for example. Get those dimensions in line and your gun should shoot.

For a plinking load for my wife from my 29 I use a 200 grain cast flat nose round point and 3.5 grains of IMR 700X It's a light manageable load.