• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

44 Special reloading question

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
Looking to load some 44spl for plinking but hotter is funner of course. Have a ton of 240gr JHP, and CDE Pistol powder. Lyman manual doesn't list that powder but shows a range of 600 to 760fps with various Powders. Hodgdon website says 794 to 898fps. Seems awful fast. What say yall?

Sierra Manual shows CFE in 44 Mag. W/ 240 JHP starting @ 9.2 grs. to a max of 11. grs. @ 1300 FPS. If you're using a 44 Mag Firearm, looks like you can go up to 11.4 grs without blowing your face off.

44 Special data shows 5.3 CFE W/ 240 JHP to a max of 6.7 @ 850 FPS. Your choice.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Yes CFE Pistol. Sorry for the typo. I went for the min charge of 5.6gr. The max charge gets solidly in the magnum range of velocities. I'm thinkin CFE Pistol powder is pretty great. Loaded a ton of 9mm and 45acp with it. Unique was my goto powder before it became scarce.

So my son and I took the min-charged 44spcl and max-charged 44mags to the range. Magnums were 12gr CFE Pistol, 240jhp, large magnum primers. His ported Taurus 5shot and my scoped 7.5 inch Redhawk. The Taurus was a fun handful with the magnums but pretty comfy with the specials. I wouldn't want to shoot a ton of magnums through the Taurus even being ported. My Redhawk digested both loads as expected. Grouped the magnums well at 25 yards. 6 rounds into about an inch I would guess.

CFE Pistol seems to be a good all-around powder and available. Cleans up easy too. Meters well. Not much muzzle flash or smoke even in the 4inch barrel.

Reactions: Makinchips208