• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45-70 1st Time Loading

SmithM21

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
This is the first time I ever loaded 45-70. I did 3 different loads, (29 grs, 30 grs, & 31 grs), using 4198 and 405gr coated lead round nose flat point bullets. These are light loads for my US Springfield 1884 Trapdoor Cadet Rifle.

I only have one turret die plate so I had to put my Lee Crimp Die on my MEC Marksman for the crimp stage. No big deal but I do need to purchase several more Redding Turret Die Plates. The other side of the turret head has my 45 Colt dies.

My first several crimps seemed too tight so I backed it off a little and then set the bullet another .005 into the case. That put the crimp grove on the bullet 3/4 down into the 45-70 case. I still think the crimp is a little to tight but I will see how they shoot at the range. I put tiny dots on my brass to separate the loads incase I loose my documentation.

So far I have loaded 45 Colt and 45-70. on my T7. My next project on the T7 will be making some 300 BO rounds for my son's AAC SB Upper. I do have a chop saw with a 300 BO Jig and dies to convert 223 cases into 300 BO cases. . I have never made or loaded 300 BO so this will be another venture with a caliber that I have never reloaded before like the 45 Colt & 45-70.

Heck, my recipe for 45-70 recipe just involved pouring something in until near full and hammering the bullet down till it looked close enough… still have the lead bricks for melting and casting!

All joking aside, nice job!

Used to cast most everything I shot in larger bore revolver calibers, and rifle for several including a single cavity 330gr Gould hollow point for an older Marlin 45-70. Netted around 345-350gr in my alloy and water dropped to about 20 BHN. 31ish of IMR4198 and some poly buffer and a tissue wad to fill powder gap was money at 100yds with a Merit disc rear peep sight. Fun to shoot, light recoil, accurate and deadly. Hard hollow point would shed and leave a .458 270gr wadcutter behind to find its final destination. Still have the Marlin and the molds, and still use 4198 for all of my loading. Great project you’ve got going there.

Reactions: camocorvette
I'm waiting, waiting and still waiting on a new Ruger Marlin 45-70. Based on my results with Steel Valley Castings .358 and .431 Hi-Tek coated bullets, I'll be trying their 405gr bullet in the new rifle. $68.00 shipped for 250 of them. Their 44 Mag 240 gr bullet (pictured left and middle) is my go-to round. Accurate and VERY good velocity. I can send you a few of the 405's to try since sadly I can't do anything with them at the moment.

1650251790761.png

Reactions: SmithM21
Have used Montana Bullet Works for years. Excellent quality and lots of options to dial in correct diameter and hardness for your rifle, pistol or revolver.

Reactions: Modoc
.45-70 is one of those really fun easy and satisfying cartridges to load. Nice job. Good powder choice too.

Now if you want to learn to start casting….

Sirhr
One of my shooting buddies just retired and purchase casting equipment. I plan to join him and learn how to cast bullets. It will be a learning experience for the both of us.

What happens if you don't fill the gap?
You want to have the powder stay towards the base when its turned horizontal and chambered and not let it all spill forward away from the primer otherwise you can have inconsistent ignition.

Reactions: SdotW
One reason I like 45-70 is it can be loaded from "mouse fart" to "moose knuckle". 14 grains of unique will push any 300-400 grains projectile as a reasonable plinking speed.

Reactions: SdotW
Ah I see. Didn't mean to dig up and old thread, I'm just doing a bit of research because I'm going to attempt reloading for the first time. Gaining the knowledge at the moment. Just bought a 1895 Trapper, and I plan to make those 325gr FTX as well as 400 grain+ subs.

You want to have the powder stay towards the base when its turned horizontal and chambered and not let it all spill forward away from the primer otherwise you can have inconsistent ignition.

What do you use as "tissue"? I've always thought about getting into something like a 45-70, but it seems to be a whole other ballgame.