• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 45 carry ammo

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I bought a springfield trp a few months ago and have shot 300 rounds wwb box out of it but haven't tried any better carry ammo. Just figured I'd post this to see if there are any that are recommended more than others for carry purposes. I know ultimately it will come down to what my gun likes, but just getting a general idea on some to try.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: 45 carry ammo

I'm a personal fan of 230gr Speer Gold Dots and Federal Tactical Bonded 230 gr

If you hunt around at ammunitiontogo.com you can sometimes find boxes of 50 for around $35ish. Or if you can order from police distributors you can get the box of 50 for around $30ish. Thats a lot better than buying the overpriced boxes of 20 that are available for the general public for the same amount

Id also try Winchester Ranger ammo in standard and +P pressures in addition the above ammo. CDNN is pretty reasonable on Ranger ammo also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id also try Winchester Ranger ammo in standard and +P pressures in addition the above ammo. CDNN is pretty reasonable on Ranger ammo also</div></div> I carry Black Talon which is more or less rebranded as Winchester Ranger SXT because they were too "scary" with the media duping them Cop Killa bullets <--- stooopid.

Otherwise, I would just carry the Ranger SXT, we did a test at night last year shooting various PD loads and the Ranger SXT was the best for maintaining your natural night vision since it didn't produce a fireball off the muzzle.

I've used Federal HSTs in 1911s and Glocks without any issues, those are what I recommend. They're shaped more like 45 hardball instead of the conic shape found in many other designs. I've found that the HST's expand consistently and retain most of its weight. The downside is that they're still expensive(pre-Obama they were $25 or less per box of 50). I run at least 200 rounds of carry ammo to see how well it functions, this gets pricey especially when trying to find ammo that expands well and functions properly.

Here are a couple vids that may help you with your choice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gULaSslSvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDwQ2HdsgI

I've tried a few others, I also like the gold dots(short barrel version), but they're more expensive than the HSTs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I run at least 200 rounds of carry ammo to see how well it functions, this gets pricey especially when trying to find ammo that expands well and functions properly.</div></div> For the win...pay attention and do the above. I've had some HP ammo that came to a screeching halt on the ramp of some guns. Spend the money and shoot whatever you think you'll go with to make sure that your gun will eat it.

Thanks..that answers my next question of how many rounds should be fired for that ammo choice to be considered G2G for carry purposes.

Alan

Even if its slightly dated, Evan Marshall's data collected from actual police shootings reported the "best" one shot drop in .45 was the Fed 230 hydroshock in the low 90's%. Surpisingly, the one shot (to the torso) drop was only 67% with .45 hardball. Best overall was 125 .357 Fed HP in the mid 90's %. Bullet placement still counts!

Another vote for the SXT. I stocked up on both standard 230 and the +p variant and my limited tests have shown very reliable expansion, they do exactly what winchester claims they do with respect to shape and weight retention. RA45TP is the model number.

Now out of a real short barrel I like the 165 gr +p powerball from corbon. Pricey, but it feeds great in my glock 36 and seems to shoot a little better through the 3.7" barrel than the 230 stuff.

200 Gr. + P Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger SXT same bullet desgin as the Black Talon minus the name and the bullet coating. Hornady or even gold old Remington 185 + P have allways shot good out of my all my .45's

A friend of mine who was/is a handgun instructor for DEA and Army use to have all sorts of data about the 38 being very efficient in LE shootings, what he still carries to this day. He also promoted 357.

My youngest son and I ran about 1000 rounds of sorted ammo first day with my XD. Ran a couple hundred more beforing carry ammo. I ran 300 rounds of HST through my XD before settling on HST.
Like DocV says, not quite shaped like a hollow point, more like ball for feeding. When it expands it is designed to cut and slice for bleed out at more than double its original diameter.

But agreed as almost everybody does, shot placement is paramount no matter what bullet and caliber is used. A true self defense encounter happens at lightning speed and closer than those who have never had one think. For me, I like 45s, not the best, not the worst just what I like and want and train and shoot.

DHS switched from Gold Dot to HST, but I am confident this was based on contract price not performance.

I am a huge fan of bonded bullets for anything shot into meat and bone since these are the most reliable penetrators, and penetration is what kills in the end since there is really no such thing as "incapacitating shock" in a handgun, personally I think it is debatable even in rifles. CNS hits excepted of course.

So, I carry standard 230 grain Gold Dot, I prefer it over +P for faster follow up. I dont think +P would produce noticeable differences in effect on target worth the extra recoil. For the OP if you dont have a lot of experience shooting handguns then go with standard pressure for sure. I did pick up some 230gr HST from Kieslers at $21/box of 50, and did some non scientific penetration "tests" for fun using water as a medium. Penetrated about 25 inches of water in a thin plastic box before denting but not penetrating a 2x6. Bullet expansion was very impressive, looked just like the picture on the box, just under an inch, fully double diameter. One of them shed the jacket and thus lost a little weight but did not lose any weight from the lead core, jacket and cup still measured 230 grains.

I have heard that HST has good performance through glass even though it isnt bonded. I dont know what lead alloy they are using but it is impressive, and I may make an exception to my "bonded" rule in HST's case, not sure yet.

I use bonded in my 308 deer hunting (165 Nosler Accubonds) and have yet to have a round stay in the deer even on angled shots, and from the impressive exit wounds all have expanded nicely. Match grade accuracy too! But I digress...

I carry Gold Sabers. The primary reason is that is what the local PD uses. I figure if I'm ever involved in a defensive shooting, using the same ammo as the cops is just one less thing for the DA to attack me on.

Fortunately, they feed well and are adequately accurate out of my Wilson.

We currently run 230gr HST +P for work.

I still carry 230gr Hydrashok in my off-duty 1911. It's a little easier on the handgun and it's still extremely effective. We have had several OIS to demonstrate that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I run at least 200 rounds of carry ammo to see how well it functions, this gets pricey especially when trying to find ammo that expands well and functions properly.</div></div> For the win...pay attention and do the above. I've had some HP ammo that came to a screeching halt on the ramp of some guns. Spend the money and shoot whatever you think you'll go with to make sure that your gun will eat it.</div></div>

I do the same test, at least 200 rounds of each ammo. I have no failures whatsever with my Kimber and Springfield XD with either the Speer 230gr gold dots and the federal +P tactical bonded 230gr.

I have had approximately 2/100 failures with Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr ammo. In my XD that ammo dimples the magazines for whatever reason and prevents them from dropping free. A call to Springfield revealed that numerous folks have problems with Ranger ammo, for whatever reason in XD pistols.

Doing the testing above, I have confirmed that Rangers are not %100 reliable in my guns, and the other 2 are, so thats my opinion and recommendation, but you should still accomplish extensive testing in your gun, before making a decision.

I carry the Federal 230g hydrashock ammo. So far so good. I like that it expands fast, therefore having less of a chance to go through and through (like a FMJ will).

SS

My current carry is 230 gr hollow points havent had the chance to try em out yet here in the hood but if I do I will post pics
of the results..

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr +P
Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P
Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P
Hornady TAP 200gr +P
Corbon JHP 165gr +P

Those are all the hardest hitters that particular manufacturer makes in reasonably priced production ammo. They all have right at, or above 500ft/lbs of muzzle energy and have a muzzle velocity ranging from 990-1250 fps. No Federal offerings were listed, as I see plenty of examples in the posts above.

MidwayUSA, The Sportsman's Guide, Able's Ammo, Ammunition To Go, Presto Store are some good sites to check out for pretty much the lowest prices on those rounds.

Kelly

Ranger Ts, is what I like/carry, they are the newest in the black talon line.

IMG00022-20090916-1208.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

I shoot 230 gr Hornady Tap and Speer Gold Dot. Both bullets are available as a reloading component and I like to be able to shoot my carry bullet in my reloads for practice and function verification.

carry: Winchester Ranger/Bonded/230gr.

had only one fail to feed partially up the ramp(polished ramp on an FNP .45) and upon inspection, the bullet had a flat spot in it. Not sure if it happened from the factory or if the bullet hit something while in the mag(first round up), but I've never had that happen and was glad to see it was the shape of the bullet that made it not feed.

Regardless, it's worth going through a good amount of rounds to make sure your pistol accepts them reliably. Your life and others' can depend on it.

Mike

CCI /Lawman 200 grain flying ash tray (hollow point looks like a shot glass). All the Corbon and hydrashock ammo is good stuff also.

i'll vote for corbon's DPX 185gr +p.

200 grain Gold Dot +P.

Performs on tissue after penetrating intervening materials (auto glass, sheet rock, etc.). Seems to be the most likely to expand even if it has to go through heavy clothing as well. It absolutely <span style="font-style: italic">wrecked</span> a big Nubian goat I shot with one...pulverized the onside shoulder blade, pulped the top of the lungs, and broke the off shoulder. That is extraordinary penetration for a 200 grain slug.

It has also functioned 100% in my Kimber and my Springfield XD (although the above advice about putting a couple hundred of your selected defense rounds down the barrel of <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> gun is extremely sound) and punches groups that are as small as any factory ammo I've fed them.

I feel very confident trusting my life and my loved ones' lives to the Gold Dots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 230 gr Hornady Tap and Speer Gold Dot. Both bullets are available as a reloading component and I like to be able to shoot my carry bullet in my reloads for practice and function verification. </div></div>

Where can I get TAP bullets for reloading?

Where I work we use 230 grain non +P Speer Gold Dots.
At least that what they issue for now.

JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 230 gr Hornady Tap and Speer Gold Dot. Both bullets are available as a reloading component and I like to be able to shoot my carry bullet in my reloads for practice and function verification. </div></div>

Where can I get TAP bullets for reloading? </div></div>

I use the old style TAP. Bought a lot of it after it shot good in my carry gun. It uses the XTP vs the new bullet with the polymer insert..

I use Winchester Ranger T series in both of my 1911's. my Para likes them, put down several ferral hogs in the 150lb range with them. also my kimber likes them, put down several more hogs about the same size with that combo too.

Ranger SXT 230s +p in mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry Gold Sabers. The primary reason is that is what the local PD uses. I figure if I'm ever involved in a defensive shooting, using the same ammo as the cops is just one less thing for the DA to attack me on.

Fortunately, they feed well and are adequately accurate out of my Wilson. </div></div>

+1 on checking out what your local PD uses. Chances are that they have good data to justify their particular choice. If you have to use your carry gun, you will end up in court (civil, at least). Being able to say that you used the same ammo as the Police use to protect the citizens of your town can be helpful. Of course, as stated above, you need to make sure that whatever it is, it runs in your carry gun.

In my case it's Winchester SXT's

Who offers teh heaviest, fattest hollow point that opens up to ungodly dimensions these days?
Back in the day a Federal Hydrashok was my favorite defense load, and I loved the 230sjkhp's in +P+(Flying Ashtrays). I really need to step into the 21st century for when my handguns get here from CA

I'm not here to start a debate, but......

Many well-respected shooting instructors recommend FMJ's for a reason.

I have seen a few deer dispatched by municipal .45 hollowpoints......with horrid and disappointing results.

While I am not dissuaded in the least as to the effectiveness of hollow point ammo, it does support my overall theory:

Be fully aware of what your brand/type of ammo you carry is and is NOT capable of. Know how different types of media effect your round. And most importantly get out and practice with it! A gunfight is not the time to find that your pistol just doesn't like Ranger/SXT/Hydroshock/etc.

I shot a deer a few weeks ago that was inside my electric fence.
What I had was my 1911 with 185 grain Silvertips.
The deer expired but the bullet did not make it through the shoulder.
The shoulder was ruined and I found two broken ribs when I gutted it.

I would imagine there are several differences between the effects of the round on deer and on humans. I will assume he is asking about carry ammo that will probably not be used on game. Choose appropriately.

Kelly

A pistol of any caliber is nothing more than a remote-controlled high-speed drill. The bullets it fires make holes. In most pistols, the bullet velocity is insufficient to even think about the kind of hydrostatic shock a rifle would produce. Therefore, you want a bullet that will make the biggest possible hole, and thereby destroys the most tissue. This is why we use .45 ACPs. The simple fact is that hollowpoints of any type sometimes penetrate, but fail to expand (especially those fired at low velocity, such as in a .45ACP, compared to, for example, those from a .357 Magnum), and sometimes expand too much, and penetrate too little. Even if they perform as advertised most of the time, you may or may not want to stake your life on those odds.

The problem with most test media, including ballistic gelatin, is that people and animals are not homogeneous, and almost all of the test media are homogeneous. So testing with ballistic gelatin, water, sand, etc. will only give information related to the bullet's performance in ballistic gelatin, water, sand, etc. Correlations between such tests and one-shot stops in actual shootings, no matter how good the figures appear, are therefore only partially useful in trying to determine what your gun and bullet will do at the time you pull the trigger. Let's not forget that a heart-shot (with a RIFLE) deer will sometimes run many tens of yards before falling down, so your pistol (no matter what you load it with) might not be as likely to immediately stop your attacker with one torso-shot as you might think.

Testing bullets on game animals is only part of the answer, because a lot of the time, game animals are shot in the chest, from the side, and the bullet therefore goes through both lungs. In defensive shootings, people are usually shot from the front, so the bullet only goes through one lung. To further complicate matters, a bullet used in game shooting or defensive shooting will have to pass through skin, fat, and muscle, and may have to pass through bone, as well. Obviously, any hollowpoint will perform differently in each of these tissue types, so from one shot to the next, you really have no way of knowing exactly what the bullet will do. FMJs will solve that problem to a much greater extent than any hollowpoint, but also have a much greater chance of overpenetration and ricochet. You pay your money and you take your choice.

Decades ago, I got myself a large shoulder roast, hung it from a tree branch with a hillside behind it, and shot it with an assortment of pistols (using hollowpoints), including .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .44 Special, and .44 Magnum (we did not have the 10mm or the .40 S&W that long ago). All of these rounds made holes in the shoulder roast, but did nothing especially meaningful in terms of causing it to move, or come apart. A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 3-0 buckshot blew the roast apart. I understand that that was nowhere near a definitive test of anything, but it did not increase my faith in any pistol bullets' ability to reliably stop someone with just one shot.

For these reasons, if I had to choose a hollowpoint in .45ACP, I would want one of the more stoutly constructed ones, such as the Remington 230 grain Golden Saber. I would accept the fact that the bullet might not expand properly in fat, in exchange for a better chance of penetrating, for example, a rib. Personally, I would prefer the .45 Super. Or, better still, a shotgun.

Obviously, if you don't practice enough to be able to reliably put the bullets where you want them (which means much more than just the number of rounds required to see that the gun will function with them), none of the above will matter.

Does anyone know what the FBI is carrying these days? I know they do a lot of testing before they change from one round to another.

I have shot deer broadside at close range with 230 grain Gold Dot and 230 grain HST. Both were standard velocity. Both were behind the shoulder, chest cavity shots and both expanded fully and exited.

Seems most Gold Dots dont expand quite as much as the HST, so that may be your choice if you were worried about overexpansion.

Of course, deer are much tougher to incapacitate than two legged predators, and I would be comfortable carrying either Gold Dot or HST. Either is much preferable to FMJ, as long as your weapon is reliable with them.

Kelly,
That is obvious.
The underpenetration should make a statement to anyone interested in shooting anything other than paper.

I think the penetration factor would be different for man and beast. For carry/protection I want a round that will cause the most amount of trauma to the body without exiting and going who knows where. It's all about stopping the man, and a clean kill of the beast........If I have to use it, I'm not giving a shit about what shape he is in, as long as his body temperature is rapidly decreasing lol! I see what you are driving at though.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I run at least 200 rounds of carry ammo to see how well it functions, this gets pricey especially when trying to find ammo that expands well and functions properly.</div></div> For the win...pay attention and do the above. I've had some HP ammo that came to a screeching halt on the ramp of some guns. Spend the money and shoot whatever you think you'll go with to make sure that your gun will eat it. </div></div>

Lots of good bullets, make sure its a bonded bullet. I prefer Speer Gold Dot HP's in 230 grn. I was lucky enough to get a case of them from a guy here for about $200.00

I use the Federal 230 gr. HST HPs because they give great expansion, perform like a bonded bullet and have been 100% reliable in my Kimber Custom Tactical. One test showed expansion averaging 1.190" - over an inch - in bare gelatin and still exceeding the 12" penetration required to meet FBI minimum requirements. These cost about $22.00 for a box of 50 at the local police supply house (carries full line of Federal, Speer and Remington) compared to $26.00/box for Speer Gold Dots or $19.00/box for most brands of U.S. commercial hardball.

The last defensive ammo article I read on AR15.com showed the best defensive rounds for the .45 ACP to be any of the following: Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr. JHP and JHP +P, Federal 230 gr. HST JHP and HST JHP +P, Federal Tactical 230 gr. JHP (LE45T1), Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. JHP, and Corbon's loading of the Barnes XPB 185 gr. HP. The article found fault with both the Hydra-Shock and Golden Sabre designs, primarily due to jacket separation issues. Before changing to the Federal HSTs, I liked the Golden Sabre's for high velocity, big wound cavity loads, and I have some on hand to reload for my 9mm and .357 Magnum.

FYI, here is the link to the entire article: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Win Ranger is a dirtier round but does give good penetration.

Federal Hydroshok is my vote.

Federal classic hollow points and Speer Gold Dot are both carry ammo for several LE agencies. I have heard good reviews on them both.

I have heard good things about several others mentioned above (CorBon, Hornady, Magtech...) but then again, I do not have any personal experience with them. Personally, I would not carry FMJ just because I want something that will give some shock value, open up and decelerate a little.