• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 45 Suppressor

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Thinking of purchasing a 45 can. Would be using it on a few subguns, and a few handguns. Anyone have any opinions on the cans available today.

Thanks,
    Sheepdog

Yep. I do the same with my Rugged Obsidian 45!! LOVE it. Run it on G19, P229 9mm, Custom 1911, and custom built AR9 and AR45.

Fully modular, can fully dissasemble, 9mm or 45 end caps, very quite, very accurate, unconditional lifetime warranty, full auto machine gun rated up to 300blk subsonic..

I love how its modular, can run in the short config on pistols and long config on subguns. I own the entire Rugged line and love them. Excellent customer service.

Here a video I took letting a guy at the range shoot it on my custom RMR G19 with my 165gr 9mm subsonic handloads. He never shot a suppressed gun before and had a smile from ear to ear.

+1 on the Obsidian .45. Have one in jail right now, anticipating getting the stamp in the next 30 days “or so”......:unsure:

If I’m out in the woods shooting alone, I’ll shoot my Osprey .45 without ear pro. Indoor ranges (with other shooters), not possible.

OBTW........the SiCo pistons work in the Obsidian. But not the other way around. The Sico pistons have a small longitudinal slot machined in their exterior that matches with a small "tooth" on the SiCo adapter. The Obsidian pistons don't have the slot, so they can't be used in the SiCo/Osprey. It was a big bonus for me that my inventory of various SiCo pistons could be used in the Obsidian. Saved me 3 or 4 pistons worth of additional expenditure ($350 to $450).

And........gift to those who have Ospreys (pistons) or Obsidians (pistons);

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051Y1U0Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
    OP I just got an Osprey45. I went with it mostly because it looks like it was modeled after the body style of my Mark23, but also sounds great too. IMO, there are so many 45 cans out there now that are just great, it's really just personal preference at this point.

I have a dead air ghost 45 & love it. I have only shot it on a 9mms but it sounds great.

Rugged obsidian,ghost 45,osprey 45 and a sick hybrid 46 would be all my top contenders in no particular order. I will say I'm a huge fan of swappable encaps. They really make a difference from 45 to 9mm in tone with supersonic loads in my experience.

There are several that fit the bill. Dead Air Ghost 45m, Silencerco Octane 45, Silencerco Omega 45k, Rugged Obsidian, etc. I have several of these models in stock if you need pricing.

I have a silencerco hybrid that sounds really good on a .45 but it's a heavy beast. If you are looking at the hybrid just know you are going to have to think about changing sighting options due to the can diameter. Some of my suppressor height sights won't even clear it. I'm going to go the RMR route at some point.

That said, hybrid is a great option for suppressing a wide variety of hosts--pistol, rifle, sub gun (I'm waiting on my 1/2x28 9mm ASR FH now). The versatility once you get setup with all the pistol & rifle accoutrements is real nice. I bought mine and, while waiting for the stamp to come back, bought 1 piston or mount a month till it arrived. I've shot it on just about everything, though found myself keeping it on rifles due to the size issue.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    My ti-rant is gtg has been for years, no earpro needed with it in 45 adjustable poi works well.

Horror stories of AAC cs, sent my m4-1000 5.56 can with a strike to the front cap at the least into them.
    Can came back looking like new in less than 2 weeks, will shoot it today.
    This was from a june 2018 service request.

Remington has taken over the service requests as far as I can tell and said to me that they intend to uphold warranties.

Reactions: Dan M
    I have a rugged obsidian .45 in jail. The shop has a range so I've been able to shoot it. Unfortunately its indoor only and another guy was shooting so I still wore ear pro. I was still amazed by how quiet it was. The other guy was shooting a .22lr revolver, it sounded much louder than my glock 21 with the suppressor.

A quick note on suppressed handguns: the difference between suppressed and unsuppressed is not nearly what it is with rifles. A suppressed 1911 in 45 (subsonic round) is maybe ear safe in a very open environment, but often not.

I have a Yankee Hills sidewinder in 45 and it runs very well, but isn't ear-safe on much.

They also run super dirty and blow plenty of crap back in your face.

All that said, they are great fun. Mine stays on a 9mm Sig MPX SBR most of the time, running 147s, it is pretty quiet, definitely ear safe, but running an 8" barrel.

I have a full size 45 Osprey and Rugged Obsidian 45 as well as Liberty Mystic 9mm and Dead Air Wolf 9sd. If I were to buy today it would be an Obsidian. It's very versatile, small but very quiet even in the short configuration. I shoot it on Glock 21, 19, and FNX Tactical mostly but I also three lugged it for 9mm carbine rifles too. Super versatile.

I have a full size 45 Osprey and Rugged Obsidian 45 as well as Liberty Mystic 9mm and Dead Air Wolf 9sd. If I were to buy today it would be an Obsidian. It's very versatile, small but very quiet even in the short configuration. I shoot it on Glock 21, 19, and FNX Tactical mostly but I also three lugged it for 9mm carbine rifles too. Super versatile.

Interesting coincidence.....I just got my Obsidian .45 out of jail TOday. Very happy about that. One of the first things I noticed is that the Obsidian is noticeably heavier than my Osprey .45, when mounted on my P226. I won't be able to shoot again until midweek at the earliest, but I am curious about the behaviour and performance of each can, vs the weight.

Any particular three lug you would reccomend? I want to get one for my ruger carbine.

My ti-rant is gtg has been for years, no earpro needed with it in 45 adjustable poi works well.

Horror stories of AAC cs, sent my m4-1000 5.56 can with a strike to the front cap at the least into them.
    Can came back looking like new in less than 2 weeks, will shoot it today.
    This was from a june 2018 service request.

Remington has taken over the service requests as far as I can tell and said to me that they intend to uphold warranties.

Remington through the Freedom Group is who you unfortunately get when you call AAC and select sales or info. Select repairs on the recorded menu or it may be tech support and you will speak to a guy on the floor at AAC instead of a kid at Remington who just can't possibly know everything about Remington rifles and shotguns and AAC suppressors. I even place orders through the tech support people at AAC and they just cc big Rem. I have had fantastic customer support with my two returns. One was a baffle strike, my fault, didn't use Vibra-Tite.. my favorite barrel thread coating. AAC took care of me and mailed the Tirant-M back. Free repair, free shipping. In another instance I had my AAC well used SR-5 (a great can... sounds like my Recce 5) and I managed to get the 90 tooth flash hider stuck inside the can. I used it like that for a year and then decided to get it fixed and mailed it in. I had tried everything to get that thing out including taking apart the latching assembly and running Kroil down everything and letting it soak overnight with no luck. The guys got it apart, gave me a new flash hider for free as I had beat up the wrench flats AND re Cerakoted the can for free! That is above and beyond what I expected since I had not used the included Rocksett to firmly mount the flash hider to the gun barrel. To give you an idea of how rugged their SR-5 can is... I used it only on my 14.5" M4 style upper on my registered select fire lower and did a lot of burst and a couple of mag dumps, which I usually don't do. Shot cases of Wolf, Remington and mostly Federal and PMC green tip. It just makes AR's run better... that and a quality slippery bolt carrier. Probably 8,500 to 9,500 rounds usually shot accurately but quickly with optics and as I said earlier, frequent two to four round controlled bursts. Much easier to do with the suppressor as it kind of slows things down... that and possibly the Gemtech suppressor bolt carrier. I wouldn't buy the bootleg version because it doesn't stand up to fast aimed semi-auto fire or short full auto bursts, or a Fostech for that matter.
    I have two 45 Tirant-M's and the 9mm Tirant-M. The 9 is simply shorter than the 45 and works well but the 45 works on 9 even better with the metric left hand adapter for Sig's. IMHO, the Tirant 45 is every bit as quiet as all the newer cans. To me has a better tone than the Obsidian, which sounds sharp to me. I use ablatives from Rem-Oil to low temp wire pulling gel cause I shoot in the winter in Alaska.

Sorry for the long answer but I've had too much coffee....

George from Alaska
    "I have a pocket protector"

Hey, looks good ! I'll keep you in mind next time I'm looking for some, Thx.

Well guys (@HansohnBrothers).......ya got me and you got me quick. Bought a TBAC 22 Takedown from you acouple of weeks ago. Lightning Quick shipping and I just couldn't ignore the temptation. Thanks again and I look forward to buying more from you in the future !

Last edited:
    Reactions: HansohnBrothers