• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 SOCOM issue

Dailyj38

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
I have been reloading for about a year and have an issue I need some help with. I built a Tromix 458 SOCOM upper and I bought some Black Butterfly ammo. I finally found everything I need to reload, Starline brass, Berrys 350gr bullets, SBR Socom powder and Winchester primers. I also bought the case gauge from Tromix, the issue that I am having is the rounds, dummy to start with, will fit in the case gauge fine and the come out just fine, no force required to remove from the case gauge. But when I try to chamber one of my rounds they don't want to eject, I have bang the stock of the rifle on the ground to eject it. The Black Butterfly ammo will chamber and eject just fine. I am using Redding dies and my RCBS Rockchucker press.

I have been reloading for about a year and have an issue I need some help with. I built a Tromix 458 SOCOM upper and I bought some Black Butterfly ammo. I finally found everything I need to reload, Starline brass, Berrys 350gr bullets, SBR Socom powder and Winchester primers. I also bought the case gauge from Tromix, the issue that I am having is the rounds, dummy to start with, will fit in the case gauge fine and the come out just fine, no force required to remove from the case gauge. But when I try to chamber one of my rounds they don't want to eject, I have bang the stock of the rifle on the ground to eject it. The Black Butterfly ammo will chamber and eject just fine. I am using Redding dies and my RCBS Rockchucker press.

Dailyj38, sounds like your chamber is rough. I have a 458 SOCOM from BCA that did the same thing. I had to bang it on the ground to eject. Over a few hundred rounds it got better. I do not have the issue anymore. I would reach out to Tromix and see if they are willing to lap/polish the chamber for you, or roll the dice and find out if it gets better over time like I did.

The thing with 458 SOCOM is that it is not a SAAMI approved cartridge. So it is not standardized. This is why Hornady and others do not make brass for the cartridge. Everyone who makes rounds, barrels, bolts, etc.. are all giving it a best estimate of the cartridge dimensions. The dimensions they choose are really form lessons learned rather than from a spec sheet like other SAAMI approved cartridges.

It would be great if a manufacturer would push this cartridge through SAAMI. It would make a world of difference for the cartridge in future once manufacturers got on board with it. Not only that, other big names would start making reloading components for it.

If it is a Tromix factory upper, give them a call. I am sure they will be more than happy to help you out. Have you tried seating the bullet slightly deeper to see if it is a short chamber issue? Any marks on the bullet after you get it pounded out?

Tromix is good to go. I'm sure they will fix ya up. I'm not sure if this helps, but I used to have a Tromix 458 upper... it was awesome, but I ALWAYS had to run new brass through the full length sizer adjusted all the way to touch the shell holder before loading them the first time. Starline brass, only one I ever used.

Unfortunately I did not have that case gauge... that would have been handy. If your rounds pass it, then I bet you're on the right track being curious about the chamber.

I never ran any factory cartridges through mine, but it did seem to be a tight chamber for what little it's worth.

Following!
The 458 is my first rifle and interested in anything that makes it tick.
Also accumulating equipment to put all the freedom pills together.
New to the group.
That is literally all i have to add to your problem but im hear for encouraging words. Get to caliper'n ?
Keep us posted

What is your load that is sticking? What does your case head's look like after firing?

Make sure you are full length resizing so the shoulder is pushed back to spec.