• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

458 socom load data?

Beadlocked450r

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
Why is there minimal info on load data for this? Hodgdon app has nothing, my lee 2nd edition doesnt have anything either.

Please excuse my ignorance, why are manual loads terrible? I'm fairly new to reloading in general and just decided to buy a 458 and now I need to feed it. How do you figure out which loads are better then others?

Between teppo, Nosler, Lyman you should be on the way. The FTX is a nice round. Lee reloading dies come with crap for data. At least they did when I got mine. Take the published stuff and cross reference it with posted loads. Load development like normal. I think I’ve posted a few loads on this forum. Search 458 socom and my posts. Should pull up something.

Yup. Pulled the barrel off the upper and installed a Tromix barrel and bolt. Had zero issues after that. Also got the Tromix case gauge. After I rebuilt the upper, I had a long conversation with the owner of Black Butterfly ammo, one Sunday. The Radical barrel came up. Seems that a bunch had bad chambers. He was getting calls that his ammo was not feeding in guns. Chambers were cut wrong. I still have some of their ammo. Won’t fit into the radical chamber. Yet fits perfectly in the Tromix.

Yup. Pulled the barrel off the upper and installed a Tromix barrel and bolt. Had zero issues after that. Also got the Tromix case gauge. After I rebuilt the upper, I had a long conversation with the owner of Black Butterfly ammo, one Sunday. The Radical barrel came up. Seems that a bunch had bad chambers. He was getting calls that his ammo was not feeding in guns. Chambers were cut wrong. I still have some of their ammo. Won’t fit into the radical chamber. Yet fits perfectly in the Tromix.

Glad that is the happy ending man. The reason they were cut wrong was they didn't have the licensed reamer from PTG and Tromix and a good number of reputable outfits are. ? I usually only recommend Tromix when people ask me about getting into the 458 SOCOM game.