• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 Socom

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
I bit the bullet and now am going to start loading for .458 Socom

Found a seller selling 200 brass, 500 350 grain copper jacketed projectiles, Dies, Crimping Die, Bullet mold, 500 primers and a few pounds of powder for $200

So Now I am looking to see if anyone loads for the Socom?

Tips/ advice/ suggestions?

First post here. I have 3 458socom, 1 16" and 2 10.5". I have only worked up loads for the 16 and jus fire them through the other 2. For specifics the 458socom forums is the way to go. One thing I can tell you right up front. Do not chase speed with the socom. It is such a low pressure round that once pressure signs begin to show you are way over the 35k prescribed. Work up carefully and enjoy the thump.

I always get funny looks when I fire mine. They have a.much deeper sound than a 556. And the 10.5s throw a 3' fireball. Too much fun.

I chased cycling issues with Lil Gun powder. Went with IMR4198 and a Hornady 325gr FTX and it became a very reliable thumper.

Make sure you get a carbine length gas system. For a 16" barrel. Mid length systems have been known to have problems cycling and run at slower speeds. The 458 was not designed as a mid length system. Also it was designed to run with standard buffer and spring. Don't change them unless you are having problems to begin with. All 3 of mine run great with standard buffer and spring. Though my 10.5s are pistol gas.

I have some data for 300gr pills I'll go find it for you great round I killed many of hogs with the socom