• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45gr Varget/175 SMK/LC Brass Too Hot for OBR??

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    Hey All -

I have posted a few different times RE: my load work up for my 18" OBR. Several of you have responded to these threads with helpful insight. I've taken advice about ladder tests, etc. and incorporated it into my work trying to find THE load for this rifle. It seems that all the data points to using the following:

175SMK
    LC LR Brass
    45.0 Varget
    FED210M

Some have noted that this sounds a bit too hot for an AR-type .308. I haven't seen any signs of it being over pressure, but I am new to reloading for a gasser.

QUESTION: Is this load too hot for a semi-auto?

Re: 45gr Varget/175 SMK/LC Brass Too Hot for OBR??

While that is a warm charge, I think it's wrong for someone to say, with no analysis, it's too warm for an AR.

Let the fired brass tell you...

Are you getting pressure signs? Case head growth?

Yeah little warmer than my 43.2 varget and 178amax but not to say that your rifle doesnt mind it. Could have a faster barrel.

That would be too hot for mine. I don't go over 44 with my LR-308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this load too hot for a semi-auto?</div></div>Only you will know: It's your rifle.

What you need to know is not whether the load is 'hot', but whether Varget is too slow for your gas gun.

I've tried that load in a 20" Criterion barreled AR, with Winchester brass instead of LC, and it seemed hot to me at times. Primer pockets of new brass were often loose, but that's the only sign that things were too hot. Quickload says it's warm in that gun when I put in all the gun's information, but it's nowhere near as hot as some of the other loads I made. I was getting about 2,575ish fps from it, and decent accuracy, too.

my 308 upper has the port 1.8" farther forward and that load works just fine for me in mine. I shot it for 3 years for palma untill I replaced it with a bolt gun.

My original .308 upper was a Eagle Arms and it didn't like 43gr of Varget with a 175. Each upper is different watch for preasure signs.