• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 45lc catastrophic failure 45lc pic heavy

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
yesterday i had a catastrophic failure of my pride and joy mu Taurus 45lc, Taurus told me their was no problem and they would replace due to the fact its a life time warranty. thank god no one was hurt. a guy behind me said the back strap missed my head by inches.

i have shoot this gun 100's of times and it "was" a very very good gun, i was shooting factory win ammo so becarefull

no one was hurt in this thank god their was 2 guy's with in 5 ft of me and 8-10 with in 10 feet.

win was cool about it as well, i shot 12 rounds loaded up the 5th shot was a mis fire the 6th the failure, i believe the round went off the cylinder gave way discharging the 5th round resulting in these pics, the cylinder center pin was a "b" to get out but range master had to verify clear and safe, and who knows i could have missed counted, but alls well no one was hurt, i received a small nick on my left knuckle about 1/8 x 1/8 very lucky day

IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg

Re: 45lc catastrophic failure 45lc pic heavy

How long between the misfire and the next shot? I am thinking maybe a hang fire after you rotated the cylinder??

i waited maybie 15-20 seconds i dont know it very well could have been. i wish i could have found the cylinder parts and the brass that was in the cylinder, all i found was the back-strap.

it literately through my hand down. and as you can see from the back strap, the force was a little strong.

Lucky...I had my Walther P22 come apart and the slide came back and hit me. Walther fixed everything.

That is clearly a casting failure. You should only buy firearms that aren't made from cast pot metal. Forging the frame and making quality innards ain't cheap. Neither are your ONLY two eyes...or fingers. I would not, nor ever will, buy and shoot guns from third world countries whose main claim to fame is copying other country's guns. JMHO

Sounds like a classic squib. The misfire left a bullet in the barrel, and the next round blew it up.

When you say "Backstrap" are you referring to the topstrap? I only ask because the backstrap seems to be in place.

I found the problem.

"Taurus"

Buy junk, you get junk. Owner at the shop I work at refuses to retail anything Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a classic squib. The misfire left a bullet in the barrel, and the next round blew it up. </div></div>

This would be my opinion too. If that wasn't the case then I would speculate a hang fire. I'm perplexed on the cylinder issue as one would think that the pressure would escape out the sides, between the barrel and cylinder, however that's alot of pressure and fire at that time so who knows. Lucky nobody got hurt and it's cool that they'll take care of it.

Taurus is the issue. The frame should not have come appart after a squib. A quality gun would have stacked them into the barrel, not blown up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a classic squib. The misfire left a bullet in the barrel, and the next round blew it up. </div></div>

I agree, the 5th shot pushed the bullet into the forcing cone of the barrel, you thought it was a dud but probably was little or no powder just enough for the bullet to clear the cylinder, then the next round comes in behind and with the obstructed barrel, well we see what happened.

I tend to no suspect Squib, as generally in my experiences with squibs in single actions especially the barrel suffers greatly. From the look of the parts, I'd say a piss poor casting, and then case color hardening a cast part ( I also know this from experience- sore subject)makes for potential disaster even if the round were a 'little' hot.
I feel the fact that they are so quick to go ahead and replace it is proof they know they made shiite. PLUS I saw the exact same catastrophic failure in a Taurus Judge with a factory .45 LC load- except the top strap held.

Backstrap- maybe had fresh venison on the mind?
smile.gif

Taurus has a great warranty, unfortunately you will have to use it eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taurus is the issue. The frame should not have come appart after a squib. A quality gun would have stacked them into the barrel, not blown up. </div></div>

I've never seen any gun take a squib and another round and not blow up in some degree! I'm just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taurus is the issue. The frame should not have come appart after a squib. A quality gun would have stacked them into the barrel, not blown up. </div></div>

I've never seen any gun take a squib and another round and not blow up in some degree! I'm just sayin </div></div>

The two guys on TV that do the tortue test and wear lab coats (Shooting USA I think) loaded up a 1911 and stacked three or so in the barrel right on top of each other. Bulged the barrel, thats it. Thats all I'm saying.

Touche! All I'm saying is I've never seen it. I've seen those guys do some torture test stuff and they do a pretty good job on things!

First of all, im glad to hear no one was hurt. That could have been lethal.

I recall a gun that S&W had at a show... .357 Mag with a blank (solid) barrel that was shot in their lab. It forced 100% of the bullet out of the 0.006" gap between the barrel and the cylinder. It did not effect the gun at all. I would have never believed it didn't at least crack the cylinder! It is nice to have that kind of confidence because my side arm when I hunt or am in the woods is a Dan Wesson shooting a 125 gr. .357 had load That chronos just over 1700 fps out of a 4" barrel. I would never try that load in a Taurus.

Well, I was going to save my first post for an intro after I take some pics of the rifle next week, but I just had to chime in here.

Again, glad everyone that was around Is ok.

-Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taurus is the issue. The frame should not have come appart after a squib. A quality gun would have stacked them into the barrel, not blown up. </div></div>

I've never seen any gun take a squib and another round and not blow up in some degree! I'm just sayin </div></div>

The two guys on TV that do the tortue test and wear lab coats (Shooting USA I think) loaded up a 1911 and stacked three or so in the barrel right on top of each other. Bulged the barrel, thats it. Thats all I'm saying. </div></div>

Yup, I tested a Ruger Security Six and you would not have believed the abuse it took before it finally gave way. And it only blew the cylinder apart AFTER I had to finally smash the end of the bbl shut! I stacked bullets, loaded rounds slam full of powder, etc and it just kept spitting the bullets out. I finally lodged a slug in the bbl after I smashed it shut and the 2nd one after it finally busted the cylinder, bent the top strap, but didnt break it. All of those loads were full cases of N320 (or one of the VV powders I had on hand). Real guns will take a surprising amount of real abuse.

Did you send the pictures and info to the ammo manufacture? I have seen manufacturers send a free case of ammo in instances like this.

Wow very lucky no one was hurt. Yes call the ammo manufacturer. Let the ammo manufacturer and the gun manufacturer know the make bullet weight and lot number. This could have been caused by the ammo or the gun but more likely the ammo.

I always use factory ammo in my carry gun.......
now Im having second thoughts........

How many Springfield 1911's have Brazil on the side of them these days? Wonder where Taurus is located?

Just sayin

When I was a kid I fired an old navy double action into the air on New Years. Two
rounds fired and then the chamber locked. The first two bullets lodged in the barrel
and the third stuck between the chamber and forcing cone. No damage to the gun
or me. Spaniards are not know for great firearms. Even the spanish mauser actions
are known for bad heat treating. Parker Hale used them so it's pretty well documented. (And yea, I know lumping all the latin nations together isn't fair. But
I will put Spain, Argentina and Brasil in a handbasket on this one)

You were lucky.

That's Taurus for you..... Junk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long between the misfire and the next shot? I am thinking maybe a hang fire after you rotated the cylinder?? </div></div>

This is how it happens in a revolver.

There was nothing wrong with the ammo other than the hangfire which could have been the gun itself. Rule of thumb especially with a revolver; when you have a failure to fire wait a reasonable amount of time and clear the weapon of that round.
My theory:
Round 5 had a light primer strike and the recoil of #6 round finished the job somehow.

I have seen Rugers, Smiths, and Colts blown to bits like this. You guys can get off your high horse about the spanish made crap. It happens and surprisingly, rarely results in serious injury.

I've seen plenty of Colts with the top strap peeled up or just plain missing, same with a couple of Smith 29s. What was the ammo that was being used? Problem with the 45 Colt is that the case walls are pretty thin as are the chamber walls of most SAs and if it was a double charge(which is what this looks like) it was sure to let go

Glad you still have your hand function and sight. Is that cylinder really cast?

i know what really happened, there was a rabbit that stuck its finger in your barrel, where you hunting wabbits?

alright finally an update, I talked with a rep (I will not be using names in this, i believe it is not kosher) she said that the warranty will stand and that they will be assessing the gun to see if it can be repaired and if not i will be receiving a phone call from on of their reps with in 2-3 weeks. if they had to replace the gun witch of their current models would i be interested in?, i stated that the 1911or the judge would be a nice replacement but i would rather have my 45lc back.

well the day before Taurus went on Xmas holiday 2 weeks after the 1st contact, I revived a call from a rep, he stated that they would honer the warranty, but they do not make that model now and have no major parts. with that said i can choose "any gun they offer", with the exception of the 1911 or the judge because the cost difference is to grate,how about a melunimum 9mm.... My emediant response was ill take a "RAGING BULL MODEL 454 CASULL REVOLVER". then i tank god, our lord he reached down and hit me in the back of the head, WTF i cant have a 1911??? their gun blew up in my face?? i can have anything i want. And WTH am i going to do with a 454??? i got a 30/30 hunting pistol???

so with in seconds i said "hold up??" i cant have a 1911 or a judge becouse of what???. I have a gun, or had a gun that i bought bran new, no one had it before no one with the except my son has ever shot ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CeAW7jRTM ) (i felt like crap after doing that, it was a full load i ment for him to shoot a 1/2) anyway back to the storie.

I told the rep, you go tell your boss, I want a custom 1911 stainless steel, ran through their custom shop match trigger and barrel and trace grips and a tack light Matter fact i want 2 of them to match!!(I was steady on the CPU looking at their catalog hen making this statement. My budy LR-WSM on here (no no names rember) was steady telling me how it was, is, and should be), or send me my gun back witch i have many pics of and i talk to my local gun shop for a good attorney. The rep said he couldn't agree to that but he would pass it on to his manager. I said "ok, im leaving for my parents and i want to know today if my guns coming back or whats going on!". The reps reply was no problem ill send it up. i tank him for his time, he was very nice and realy kept his head about him when i went off.

about 2 maybe 3 hrs later i got a call from a rep stating he was a manager and has my request, e talked to his boss and they would be willing to resolve this matter with a single 1911 ss. can have it shipped to me tomorrow ill have it as soon as fedex drops it off to my ffl. he could and would not do 2 guns, he would be willing to send me 2 stock f92's blued but not the 1911 in SS. I replied " Nope send me my gun back or send me the exact gun your IDPA team shoots!(I didnt know if they had a team and still dont) o send me my gun back, he said he would have to get back to me.

about 15 mins later i got a call from a rep that worked in the custom shop stating he was with the custom shop and has a order for a PT 1911 AR SS with a tac rail custom grips tritron sights and custom carrying case,is this correct?? i said i would have to check with rep #3 to be sure that doesn't sound correct. I called rep #3 execution he picked up answering Customer Service manager, I explained my previous phone call. He said he couldn't give me 2 but he will go all out on the one 1911, hand fitted slide, custom rose wood "Bull Head" grips, adjustable match trigger and hand fitted barrel full SS parts no miss matching blued and polymer parts to make this situation a good deal for me and the company. i said what about the Trace grips and the light they have in the catalog. he said he couldn't do that. im going from a 300 dollar gun to a 1000$ gun, i replied, your going from a lawsuit to a gun. but im tired and i want thins done. he transferred me to the custom shop and i talked with the rep again, and agreed to the order. Te rep told me it would be approx 7-10 bissness days for the build to be complete.

30 mins later the manager call me and informed me their was a frame and slide that was just finished being fitted and he should have it shipped to me by Friday this was Wednesday, and i would revive on Monday at my ffl.

Friday i got call from local FFl this showed up

IMG_1051.jpg

bd3b2ce0.jpg

949d661e.jpg

i cant find the shot card for it, i pulled it to show my friend, its some where on my desk but ive have not scene it i got it on the 27th and it runs like a typewriter

if you have any problems and have to talk to Taurus give me a pm ill tell you the ppl i talked to

respectfully

Seems like you got a good deal out of a bad situation. I would be happy with that.

Crazy story, hard to read but looks like you ended up ahead and alive to boot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Says a lot about both parties involved, that's for sure. </div></div>

what you mean says alot about both partys??? please do explain your self?? if you can be so kind. if not make all the opinions about the gun you want keep your mouth shut about people you never met

Your a lucky man and I am glad to hear you and everyone else are ok!

It worked out about the gun wasn't really expecting them to send what they did. It was a good thing no one got hurt. The shooting lane was damaged by shrapnal the cup pile of people to the left and right where scared to death lol. I would have been happy with just a regular gun but the reps have to keep it as cheep as possible. I wasn't looking to bring a law suite as said before no one got hurt. Spence the failure it seams Taurus have paired out becouse of that weapon a few times much more than some would believe. It's all good, I did get upset when the rep said he was sorry about the gun but I couldn't pick whatever. I understood his position in the matter but as per my ffl Taurus paired out 278k to an owner who lost 2 fingers from same model I think my little gun for something that resulted in no harm isn't a big deal.

Sorry for the hard reads I have hard time with the English language lol expeicaly typing it down. Sucks having to go through and spell check and gramer check everything when if u don't some ass starts talking shit becouse he know a period goes here not their. But I'm sure it's easy to read when it's not jumbled up

I'm sure theirs members here that will agree you shouldn't be allowed to post here unless u are higher educated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> WTF i cant have a 1911??? their gun blew up in my face?? <span style="font-weight: bold">i can have anything i want</span>. And WTH am i going to do with a 454??? i got a 30/30 hunting pistol???
</div></div>
I think this is what he's referring to.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Says a lot about both parties involved, that's for sure. </div></div>
The gun they built blew up, sure, that may or may not be their fault. But that certainly doesn't entitle you to<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anything i want </div></div> Its this same attitude that has made us into a sue happy society, my coffee's too hot, my car crashed itself I need 10 billion dollar settlement I barely survived, what could have happened to me OH THE MENTAL ANGUISH I suffer from every day!

Sorry to hear about your Taurus, but at least nobody got seriously hurt.

FWIW, I helped a friends wife buy a Taurus PT45 he'd asked for for his B-day. After we got it and he shot it, we found it wouldn't cycle properly, due to a chamber obstruction.The obstruction was a bubble inside the chamber, an actual metal bump inside the chamber that you had to push the round past to fire it. I called Taurus and told them what was wrong, the D-bag said it was the ammo, That we should have used good ammo. He didn't wanna hear me that there was a bump inside the chamber. Finally he agreed to look at it if I sent it back, they did, and I expected them to send a new barrel back. They didn't, they sent the same shitty one back, unchanged, and said there was nothing wrong with it.

No more Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> WTF i cant have a 1911??? their gun blew up in my face?? <span style="font-weight: bold">i can have anything i want</span>. And WTH am i going to do with a 454??? i got a 30/30 hunting pistol???
</div></div>
I think this is what he's referring to.
The gun they built blew up, sure, that may or may not be their fault. But that certainly doesn't entitle you to<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anything i want </div></div> Its this same attitude that has made us into a sue happy society, my coffee's too hot, my car crashed itself I need 10 billion dollar settlement I barely survived, what could have happened to me OH THE MENTAL ANGUISH I suffer from every day!

</div></div>

Absolutely right Coldboremiracle.

Ur right my son fired the gun exactly 27 rounds before be what do you think would have happen if it happen when he was holding it. Im guessing you haven't had one pop in your hand before. But ur right u all are the experts I should have filed lawsuit I wonder how many people would have taken the 1st thing given or just tossed it in trash and forgot about the whole thing.

I love how some one else gets on here and make explations for some one else becouse their smarter than everyone else

Anyway Taurus sent a very fine gun in replacement I'm very happy and I would buy from them agin although I will be carefully researching the purchase. I had that gun for a good long time. And would recommend the customer service as well but you can't be a push over hippy you got to stand ur ground unforantly but when is it you don't have to or get run over all the time. But their are those that believe nice guys don't finish last I'm not one

Cowboy...don't sweat the comments about your writing or language usage. Remember that a lot of us shooters are OCD super perfectionists that weigh out the last kernel of Varget. That attitude carries over in to some folks everyday lives. Glad you are okay. By the way...Ruger casts its frames and as pointed out are "hell fer stout". Technique and quality control are paramount. I think I'd sell that Taurus 1911. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cowboy...don't sweat the comments about your writing or language usage. Remember that a lot of us shooters are OCD super perfectionists that weigh out the last kernel of Varget. That attitude carries over in to some folks everyday lives. Glad you are okay. By the way...Ruger casts its frames and as pointed out are "hell fer stout". Technique and quality control are paramount. I think I'd sell that Taurus 1911. JMHO </div></div>

Funny u should say that I got 2 offers already lol

He just upset I had a good experiance he didn't

If I had a gun, shooting factory ammo, nuke in my hand I'd have done the same thing. I'm not about sueing companies either, but damn, if they're making guns that won't hold up to factory ammo and it puts my well being at risk then I'm not going to settle for the same peice of shit that just went "pop" in my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

win was cool about it as well, i shot 12 rounds loaded up the 5th shot was a mis fire the 6th the failure, i believe the round went off the cylinder gave way discharging the 5th round resulting in these pics
</div></div>

Sounds like you kept pulling the trigger after the misfire, which was was left in the cylinder. You have no way of proving which round detonated the cylinder, as IMHO, it is likely the 5th round that set things off (maybe lite primer strike, or faulty primer). IDK, maybe I am missing something here but it sounds like you are to blame for this mess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He just upset I had a good experiance he didn't </div></div>

If you wanna call this experience a good one, I guess you can, but it sounds to me like a nightmare. And we'll never know for sure what was to blame for the gun's demise. Whether it was your fault or not, calling Taurus and making up shit and demanding not just one but two guns, or you'd call your lawyer sure seems like a cunty thing to do even if it was their fault. At best I'd expect them to replace the gun with one similar,or maybe even better to help smooth it over, and a sincear apology. Had someone been injured that would be a different story I suppose, but even then I dont think it would be easy to prove in court that it was their fault alone.
What's more, gun manufacturers have a hard enough time fighting lawyers over other petty shit, we dont need to add to the fire. You can be damn sure they will pass these additional cost's on to us consumers driving the cost of guns up just like frivolous lawsuits drive up health care cost's.
It's worth repeating again, it says alot about you.

''Taurus'', say no more , glad no one was hurt !

I told the rep, <span style="font-weight: bold">you go tell your boss, I want a custom 1911 stainless steel, ran through their custom shop match trigger and barrel and trace grips and a tack light Matter fact i want 2 of them to match</span>!!(I was steady on the CPU looking at their catalog hen making this statement. My budy LR-WSM on here (no no names rember) was steady telling me how it was, is, and should be), <span style="font-weight: bold">or send me my gun back witch i have many pics of and i talk to my local gun shop for a good attorney. </span>.... im going from a 300 dollar gun to a 1000$ gun, i replied, your going from a lawsuit to a gun. but im tired and i want thins done.

</div></div>

I find it interesting that they caved in like that and gave in to your demands.
They probably have lawyers on retainer so your taking them to court wouldn’t have cost them much, if anything, and I honestly can’t see where you would have any legal grounds as far as a lawsuit.
I think it shows they wanted to go above and beyond to treat their customer right. So kudos to them.
But,
No one was injured (No grounds to sue there); they offered to give you an item of greater value to start with (No reason to sue after that) and you only threatened to sue if they didn’t give you what could be argued unreasonable compensation given the price of the firearm that failed and therefore the value of your perceived damages.

Had you gone to court, you would have had to prove that the weapon failed as the result of being defective rather than abused.
Given your tale of how this unfolded, it would be very hard to prove the gun was defective when, as you claim, you had a misfire just before this happened.
It’s more than likely that you had a slug inside the barrel when you fired that last shot. If that’s the case, the failure was your own fault.

As a side note, they might have been able to bring a harassment claim against you because of a threat to sue if you didn’t get your way when from the sounds of it they were being reasonable from the start. It might have also cost you their legal expenses if the judge deemed the suit frivolous. Which could have been a reasonable counter claim considering Taurus offered you fair compensation from the get go.

Basically,
Anyone reading this story and thinking that making absurd demands and threats like this might be a good way to handle a similar situation best be prepared to lawyer up.
This guy got lucky....Twice