• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.460 Rowland and bullet setback

EMorr

I need a nap
Minuteman
Okay I know this is a precision rifle forum so I may not get many responses here but I wanted to hedge my bets and ask on a few different forums. As a new .460 Rowland conversion owner maybe I am being a little paranoid but considering the max pressure is almost twice that of a standard .45 ACP I think being a little paranoid is somewhat acceptable.

I just started load development and made up a dummy round and regardless of how much or in reality how little case flare I use to assist with the seating of the bullet when I drop the slide from slide lock to test chamber the round and check functionality I end up with about 0.025" of bullet set back. Now from the get go I expected more set back due to the much more powerful recoil spring but I was not expecting a 10X increase in setback over what I was seeing with .45 ACP and a standard recoil spring. Are those of you who are reloading for this caliber seeing similar setback? Or do I have some exceptionally weak brass that is not holding it's neck tension? The brass is virgin Starline that has been FL re-sized with virtually no flare added to the neck, the finished round measures 0.465" at the neck with no crimp and 0.463" after a minimal crimp. The bullet is a 0.451" 230 Remington Golden Sabre.

I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking this and worrying about something that I don't need to as long as I start low, work up slowly and be very careful in watching for pressure signs as I go, However I will feel a lot better knowing the setback I am seeing is not atypical for a .460 Rowland cartridge in a 1911. Thanks in advance for any advice.