• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: 460 Rowland ?

I've got one of the Clark conversions on a 1911. I thought I just had to have one about 4yrs ago. I also purchased 500rds of 185 grainers from Georgia Ammo. The compensator up front is effective and needed. It's a hell of a round and supposedly brings the .45 close to par with the .44 mag(factory loads anyway).

I haven't shot it for a couple yrs. I had a problem with the slide nosing the rounds down into the feed ramp and seating the bullets deeper into the case. I tried a variety of recoil springs and crimped the sh*t out the bullets too. I never hand-loaded for it, I just crimped the Georgia ammo with a Lee FCD. Never did alleviate the problem either. Burned up approx. 200rds in the process.

As far as fit and finish go, this is the first Clark product I've owned, the sides of the comp are at a slight cant, and even if I were to rotate the comp, it would still not sit flush with the slide of my 1911. I may have some work done on it and mill it so works for me. Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it. It does bother me a little though.

If you end up getting one, I doubt you'd regret it. Definitely has some added punch. Skip it if you don't handload.

In my quest for more power, I also ended up with a .400 Corbon barrel and a set of dies. Made some of my own brass for that and found some loaded ammo at a gun show. May build a whole pistol around that round someday. . .

Hope I helped ya out a little.

The conversion process is relatively simple on a Glock 21.

You need to cut the chamber 1/32 deeper to accomodate the longer case of the .460 Rowland (a set of go/no-go gauges required)

Then get an aftermarket recoil spring setup with a heavier spring or dual spring setup.

If you want to add a comp (recommended) you will want to get an aftermarket threaded barrel, cut the chamber deeper add the spring set up and your done.

I would not recommend using a factory glock barrel for a conversion due to the overly generous throating on the feed ramp. The Storm Lake barrel supports more of the case to prevent a rupture and allows you to add a compensator. Johnny Rowland now offers kits for Glock and XD/XDm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot it for a couple yrs. I had a problem with the slide nosing the rounds down into the feed ramp and seating the bullets deeper into the case. I tried a variety of recoil springs and crimped the sh*t out the bullets too. I never hand-loaded for it, I just crimped the Georgia ammo with a Lee FCD. Never did alleviate the problem either. Burned up approx. 200rds in the process.
</div></div>
The most common cause of this is the use of eight round magazines. They typically have a short follower that offers little to no support to the front of the cartridge. This is especially critical when feeding the longer 460 rounds. The seven round mags that use the follower that has the skirt around the front worked best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPAWoodwalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saito,
Does your 460 Rowland have a ramped barrel and can the comp be removed?
Thanks, Mike </div></div>

It doesn't have a ramped barrel like the wilson/nowlin or clark designs, just a good 'ol JBM design. The comp is threaded on and I don't think it was intended to come off. .460 Rowland runs ALOT higher pressures than .45 ACP, so I think running a stock glock bbl reamed out would be a bad idea. Gonna have to look and see what separates the .45 Super from the Rowland now. . .

.460 Rowland conversion kits for 1911-style pistols are sold by Brownells. Rowland's recommendation, years ago, was to use a Kimber frame with the kit. The conversion kit came with a compensator attached. The one I have works extremely well. No feeding problems, and more than accurate enough to hunt with.

I'm thinking of doing a Glock, next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend using a factory glock barrel for a conversion due to the overly generous throating on the feed ramp. The Storm Lake barrel supports more of the case to prevent a rupture and alloys you to add a compensator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot it for a couple yrs. I had a problem with the slide nosing the rounds down into the feed ramp and seating the bullets deeper into the case. I tried a variety of recoil springs and crimped the sh*t out the bullets too. I never hand-loaded for it, I just crimped the Georgia ammo with a Lee FCD. Never did alleviate the problem either. Burned up approx. 200rds in the process.
</div></div>
The most common cause of this is the use of eight round magazines. They typically have a short follower that offers little to no support to the front of the cartridge. This is especially critical when feeding the longer 460 rounds. The seven round mags that use the follower that has the skirt around the front worked best. </div></div>

Huh. Well if that works you may have just resurrected my interest in this cartridge. I may have ditched all of my 7 rounders, but they could still be in the factory boxes for my pistols? MCM power mags may work too. I think I only used Wilson mags when I was test firing it yrs ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend using a factory glock barrel for a conversion due to the overly generous throating on the feed ramp. The Storm Lake barrel supports more of the case to prevent a rupture and alloys you to add a compensator. Johnny Rowland now offers kits for Glock and XD/XDm. </div></div>

Yes, thanks. Just to clarify we only convert aftermarket barrles and have used the KKM Precision barrels with very good results.

Schuemann has made me up some integrally ported barrels for our 1911 Tactical Trail pistol in .460 Rowland which are performing impressivly as well.

I see no need for an actual Rowland chamber. As COAL is limited to mag length, the only thing the longer Rowland brass achieves is prevention of chambering Rowland cartridges in a non-rowland capable pistol.

Starline 45 super and 460rowland brass is the SAME, except for length.

Thus, you can simply buy a quality, fully supported 45acp barrel, and run 45super brass loaded to 460 specs.

I have done this with a G21C, fitted with a 23lb recoil spring. 12gr longshot and a 185xtp worked sweet. 10gr Lon shot and 230xtp left horrible "Glock smiles". This was with the OEM barrel.

I highly recommend a fully supported barrel!

Also ran these loads through a stock HK USP45 expert. Lots of fun.

Had to run out and put 50rds through the .460 due to this thread coming up.

IMG_0505-1.jpg

10 round CMC power mags seem to function just fine. I couldn't be happier.

IMG_0502-1.jpg

50rd group at 10yds.

CopyofIMG_0504.jpg

Need to drift the front sight a little. I've got a shit ton of .45 cal bullets so there's a possibility of some hand loads in the future.

Thanks to SANDRAT, I'm in love with my .460 Rowland again
smile.gif

Great Info from everyone who posted.Only problem is,I can see I'm going to need to spend some $$$$$ on a 460 Rowland as soon as I get off this hitch out in the bush.Sounds like the ticket for a Semi-auto in bear country !!
grin.gif

Well, are you gonna pull the trigger and get a .460 R? ? You should. I'm in love with mine now. Just need a few more mags that'll work with it and hold less than 10rds . . .