• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 4x4 Side-by-side

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm looking in to getting a 4x4 side-by-side (like the mule or teryx) and I'm looking for some info from guys who use them.

I've never used one before.

I'm looking for a 2 seater. My AO is Kentucky with some extremely rugged and wet terrain, ranging from mountains to nasty farm fields to old logging roads in severe disrepair. I'm looking to carry myself and a passenger as well as enough payload for a deer.

What is the price range I should expect for both used and new?
What are some things I should look for or avoid?
Any recommendations?

Re: 4x4 Side-by-side

Polaris ranger or razor.... both will get the job done.

rode in both, like them better than the kawasaki's

depends on year, condition etc. 8,500 to 10,000 for good new clean one.

ive had my mule in some nasty places, but i dont think it is as rugged as a razor or ranger, or even a rhino. something went bang in the tranny in oct, but i havent had time to see what yet. it happened on flat ground as well. hope that helps.

They are the main thing we use for ice fishing and out on the ranch here and either the polaris or the artic cat and even yamaha side by sides are much better choices than the two you have listed. After useing those 3 extensivly i would go polaris ranger for work and play the razor for play(scary fast) and little hauling, artic cat prowler would comein second followed by the yammi.

I have a 4x4 4 seater diesel Mule. Love it. If you are looking for a fast jump the bumps machine you will want something else. As a work/hunt platform that is tough and hauls a serious amount of gear it is perfect. Put on a lift, bigger tires and winch and it is damn near a goat. We go catfishing at the river and use it to pull a 6x8 trailer through the crap to get there with coolers, grill, etc. Here it is clean....which is rare.

mule.jpg

we have 1) Gator 1) Mule and 2) Rangers.....Rangers out shine the other by a long ways....Polaris Rangers are a cut above.

RZR's are NOT utility vehicles. They are a play bike and outshine all others in that department. The clutches and gearing are not made for slow work or for use in mountainous terrain. Its not if you burn up the tranny its when. We have them all. The Polaris Ranger is the standard for utility work and the yamaha Rhino is close behind if you want it in a slightly more compact package.

I really like the Rangers. I ended up going Mule for diesel (makes use of my farm tank) and the problems my neighbor had with his Polaris Ranger and ATV's. They are nice with features I like but his were always having issues. He is only one sampling though.....and I know when I went hunting in Canada they loved Polaris anything. In my area Polaris is not considered long term reliable but that is 95% ATV and not UTV. They all have tranny problems. I would have probably still bought one if I didnt want diesel because I need a 4 seater and choices are limited. They do pretty close to what my mule will do work wise and are a lot faster with a much better ride.

I'm runnning the 660 Rhino now & it's been great, +2700 miles & no worries, whether it's playin in the creek on the ranch, haulin a trailer full of fence posts or packed full of shit draggin a trailer full of shit (4x4 low gear) it has yet to fail; on the other hand, we've had to pull 2 Polaris Rangers off the Bighorns (elk camp) in the last 2 years, both shelled their transmissions & wouldn't move. For all I know it could have been operator error but I can't say, in the end most manufacturers make pretty good UTV's....but it does make me wonder... i hear the new CanAm is a feaking beast.

My hunting partner has a Polaris Ranger. I have never seen a vehicle go through mud like that Ranger. If I could afford one, that's what I would have.

Rob Opp

I have a polaris ranger, and I also ride in the mountains of Ky originally from Harlan County, acutally Evarts where the riding is mainly done. These are work horses, I like the ranger better than my brother-n-laws razor. The ranger will go where you want it to. I mean you cant go up hills nicknamed widowmaker or things like that but u know what i mean. Polaris ranger will take you where u want to go.

Ive had 2 Mules, 2 Rhinos, 1 Teryx, and are on the second Ranger. Mules are a workhorse but are slow and rough riding. Rhinos are pretty good but will catch on fire because of the extreme heat from the exhaust and buildup of weeds and grass behind the motor. The Teryx is nice too but similar to the Rhino, but without catching fire. I am not a Polaris fan, but I do have to say that they have the best overall work/play vehicle. They haul twice the payload of the others and are just as fast. The only thing that I will say about the Ranger is that you need to BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY. YOU WILL USE IT!

Havent had a Arctic Cat Prowler or one of the new Can-Ams though. They would be worth looking at also.

My 2 cents.

I will qualify my posistion by saying that I work at John Deere in the winter months... I have driven every one of these and I would say that the 855D Gator is going to be hard to beat! If you are looking for a fast toy, then the CanAm is my pick. The Gator is what I have and I never have been left wanting on any of my trips.

the ranger xp would be the best . just make sure you get the newer one with the a-arms up front . could carry 3 people and 2000# payload in the bed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balthasar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will qualify my posistion by saying that I work at John Deere in the winter months... I have driven every one of these and I would say that the 855D Gator is going to be hard to beat! If you are looking for a fast toy, then the CanAm is my pick. The Gator is what I have and I never have been left wanting on any of my trips. </div></div>

Does the JD still have a non watertight housing on the tranny belt that slips when it gets wet? Only bad part I have seen about them. They are pretty popular here because of the amount of farming but if that belt gets wet it is not going anywhere for a little while.

You might want to check out the new Can-Am series of side by sides. It appears as though they took a look at all of them and made one that is better in more than a few aspects.

We have a double cab mule and a ranger 400. They are two different machines for what I use it for the ranger is the one I like. It has enough power you can still have fun with it and is small enough that it goes where the mule wouldn't even think of. To be honest I don't have much use for the mule. I'm sure it could haul more weight but not sure with the size of the bed that's that's really Any ones main goal with one. It also takes a football field to turn it around. Looking into getting a double cab ranger 500 because the extra room is nice. Now there are others that are much faster and more "fun" but for my needs I love the ranger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Polaris ranger or razor.... both will get the job done.

rode in both, like them better than the kawasaki's

depends on year, condition etc. 8,500 to 10,000 for good new clean one. </div></div>
+1 on this... the polaris ranger gets it done... i got a Ranger 800 HD, WORKHORSE!!!
DSC08397.jpg

DSC08398.jpg

I have a 09 Rhino, 700cc i thinks its the best one, cause you can actually use it, its a work horse. I work at power company and we have one there, i seen it loaded up with so much old line hardware it was almost lifting the front end up. Not to mention it was in the mountains to boot. I have used mine hunting and playing and its tough as hell. I dont think you can go wrong with it. Plus its not fucking big like the other brands. You can get around in the forest better. i say rhino.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 09 Rhino, 700cc i thinks its the best one, cause you can actually use it, its a work horse. I work at power company and we have one there, i seen it loaded up with so much old line hardware it was almost lifting the front end up. Not to mention it was in the mountains to boot. I have used mine hunting and playing and its tough as hell. I dont think you can go wrong with it. Plus its not fucking big like the other brands. You can get around in the forest better. i say rhino. </div></div>
if your rhino was loaded with the ton of salt and mineral i pile on the back of my ranger your frame would bend!!! i haul 1800lbs on a 20mile round trip up and down canyons 3 times a week every week from may-oct... it'll do over 50 with a full load... if you tried this with your rhino you'd be high centered before you left your drive way!!!

nice rig buddy!!! just givin ya heck on the prev post, the op just needs to take a couple test drives and decide what he likes best, there's lots of good info here.

hell ya skinney, its all good. Dam your a dog slaying machine, nice bull too!!!

Nice rig, seeing all of the coyote pelts hanging reminds me of growing up in the Black Hills we ran a trap line with my stepdad, our job was helping him skin them and then de-fleshing the back of the hyde to remove all fat and tissue. We had a fur buyer who would come to our small town once a month and everyone would meet up at this little store in town and bargain with the fur buyer, pretty cool experience growing up!

I use a 700FI Rhino 4 days a week. It's a 2009 with 3400 miles on it.

Likes..
4wd with option for locking diff.
Will fit on 5' wide trailer and maneuver almost all 4 wheeler paths in the woods
pulled my 2wd F250 work truck out twice
Way smoother ride than my Foreman and Rancher

Dislikes..
Tire size and tread (need tallest that will fit, stuck mine today on the job)
We replace a CV boot about every 4 months (guys won't wash, mud dries and rubs)
PITA to change the oil
Power steering would be nice

I would not hesitate to get another Rhino over the Ranger simply because of the width.

In the end, whatever you buy will be the best. Get out and drive one off the pavement.

I will say that the Rhino absolutely DOMINATES in popularity and mostly performance at Louisiana Mudfest. The Arctic Cats and Teryx's follow closely behind. The Gators, Rangers, Mules, Kubotas, and Razors mostly stay out of the pits cruising one the roads.

IMHO you have basically two styles, work UTV's that are good IF you have mediocre ground or roads, or the smaller Rhino/Teryx style for full blown off road and less capacity.

I'll be looking at the Ranger very closely (it certainly seems to come with the most recommendations), plus there is a local dealer with a few in stock for me to check out. He also carries the Kawasakis as well.

Gotta love the brain trust.

my gfs parents use a 4 seater mule for their outfitting service. i know firsthand that with me(185#) and 3 women and 3 rifles, the clutch will be for mercy going up a decent slope. thats with zero payload in the bed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my gfs parents use a 4 seater mule for their outfitting service. i know firsthand that with me(185#) and 3 women and 3 rifles, the clutch will be for mercy going up a decent slope. thats with zero payload in the bed. </div></div>

Gas motor? No issues with the diesel....just slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hell ya skinney, its all good. </div></div>
right on buddy!!! most manufactures are making some good machines now days... but there is always the "chevy/ford" argument that will never end... another thing i like about polaris is the American flag on each machine they make... but you pay for!!!

One more vote for Rhino.
Rhino has never been in the shop one day.
I have owned Polaris and it spent most of its days broke down in some way or another. I had to replace the starter four times and got zero support from Polaris, even though they knew there was a manufacturer's issue.
PISS ON THEM!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more vote for Rhino.
Rhino has never been in the shop one day.
I have owned Polaris and it spent most of its days broke down in some way or another. I had to replace the starter four times and got zero support from Polaris, even though they knew there was a manufacturer's issue.
PISS ON THEM!!!! </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my gfs parents use a 4 seater mule for their outfitting service. i know firsthand that with me(185#) and 3 women and 3 rifles, the clutch will be for mercy going up a decent slope. thats with zero payload in the bed. </div></div>

Gas motor? No issues with the diesel....just slow.</div></div>

gas motor indeed. no experiance with diesel ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... but there is always the "chevy/ford" argument that will never end... </div></div>
No argument there - Ford is far superior!!!
wink.gif
As for the side by side, I would recommend the Rhino. The Ranger should come with a pair of comfortable shoes, cause the driver is going to end up walking at some point, or multiple points.

ELEAF
Get a 2010 or newer Polaris Ranger HD or XP with EPS, HD comes with electric power steering. HD has self leveling shocks in the rear,load on ,drive some distance and it raises back to level. Smooth ride, able to unlock the rear end to one wheel drive [turf friendly] or two ,or four wheel drive,bench seat , slide in and out with ease , not sit down,I mean down in to a bucket seat.50 to 50+ MPH.
I was not a Polaris fan,but when it came legal for us in WI.to be able to use UTV on trails,I studied the UTV'S
and two factors made my choice, BENCH SEAT AND ONE WHEEL DRIVE.
By the way I got a 2010 800 HD, the end of Sept. 2010 and I have over 1500 mi. on it already.
As you can guess, I love it!!
dr4pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr4pat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.50 to 50+ MPH.
</div></div>
hmmm... i've had mine over 60... then it governs, on a straight away mine will average 55 with a 1200lb load.

Ranger, my neighbor in Alaska had one and we put it through all kinds of stuff. The first time we took it out I didn't think it would work to well but I was wrong worked like a champ on everything from rocks to mud to standing water.

Yes they do work, and work well.

If you check on the 2010 HD they are rated at only 40 HP,
they have a restrictor plate in the intake side of the motor,
I think that is why they may be a little slower,they still go fast enough.[short wheelbase,quick steering=hang on for fun]
The XP were rated at 46 HP in 2010
ELEAF try a Ranger ya won't be disapointed.
dr4pat

Looked at a Ranger XP EPS today and REALLY dug it. After seeing many different brands all in one place, the Ranger is almost certainly the way to go for me.

I'm looking at the Browning edition which comes in camo, has a winch, gun racks and cases, and power steering. It's a nice looking unit.

Will take a test drive this week.

You will never regret a UTV....hardly ever use the 4 wheeler now! You will find uses you never thought of the longer you have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will take a test drive this week. </div></div>
once you take it for a test spin... i'm tellin ya, your sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will never regret a UTV....hardly ever use the 4 wheeler now! You will find uses you never thought of the longer you have it. </div></div>
exactly what i thought, i have no idea what i did without my rig!!!

OK. So many of you are praising the Polaris Ranger that you'd think it was the best UTV on the planet, bar none.
I know companies can change for the better and maybe Polaris has.
But, as I said before, I will never own another. My Sportsman 500 ATV was plagued with problems and there was zero help from the factory. I spent over $800 alone on starter issues that were an engineering design flaw. The Polaris dealer told me it was a constant issue but the factory stuck it's head in the sand about it. And I had to have the carb rebuilt twice too due to a dual jet design that had a very small idle jet that continually clogged. Again, I was told that it was a design issue by the dealer (two different dealers). The coolant hose blew off while it sitting at idle and there were belt issues too.
I have since owned two Yamaha products and have had zero problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. So many of you are praising the Polaris Ranger that you'd think it was the best UTV on the planet, bar none.
I know companies can change for the better and maybe Polaris has.
But, as I said before, I will never own another. My Sportsman 500 ATV was plagued with problems and there was zero help from the factory. I spent over $800 alone on starter issues that were an engineering design flaw. The Polaris dealer told me it was a constant issue but the factory stuck it's head in the sand about it. And I had to have the carb rebuilt twice too due to a dual jet design that had a very small idle jet that continually clogged. Again, I was told that it was a design issue by the dealer (two different dealers). The coolant hose blew off while it sitting at idle and there were belt issues too.
I have since owned two Yamaha products and have had zero problems.
</div></div>
bad luck... sucks!!!

Skinney, what track system is that on your Ranger?