• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5.56 AR Muzzle Device Suggestions - Rugged Suppressor-compatible Flash Hider vs Muzzle Brake

As such, would you recommend:

• A. Getting the flash hider suppressor mount, training with the single platform

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • B. Getting the 5.56 muzzle brake for an incremental benefit at infrequent local carbine competitions

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hi Y'all,

I finally took home a Rugged Radiant 7.62 suppressor (loving it) and I'm looking to try to maximize its mileage by getting a compatible muzzle device for my 5.56 AR-15. Rugged has a 2-port 5.56 muzzle brake as well as a 5.56 flash hider, and I'm intending to use the AR for maybe local 2-gun competitions and an event called the tactical games next spring.

Whereas the Tactical Games expressly does not allow muzzle brakes, I know tons of 3-Gun competitors use them even on soft-recoiling 5.56 platforms to eek out additional advantage. As such, would you recommend:
A. Getting the flash hider suppressor mount, training with the single platform, and not worry about changing my muzzle device to an A2 flash hider prior to the Tactical Games?
B. Getting the 5.56 muzzle brake for an incremental benefit at infrequent local carbine competitions, and changing it out for an A2 flash hider before the event where brakes are dissallowed?

Thank you!

What barrel length?

On shorter barrels I like a brake because it can be a sacrificial baffle. Concussion is miserable but that's what a suppressor is for... On non-SBR's I'll go with a flash hider all day.

16"; minimum 14.5" pinned in a future build. Sounds like the flash hider then?

As long as your rifle is gassed right, I'd think a 14.5" midlength should be a joy to shoot regardless of muzzle device. My 14.5" has a dead air flash hider on it and I love it

maximize its mileage by getting a compatible muzzle device

Two port Rugged brake no question. If they make a three port then that one.

But keep in mind, you're not gonna be swapping muzzle devices— at least if you install them correctly you REALLY won't want to.

Warcomp isn’t compatible with the rugged brand of suppressors.

Yeah, I was noticing that. Hah, the warcomp is specifically not allowed at the event too (considered a muzzle brake).

that event looks pretty cool... the rules for the event say they do not want muzzle brakes because it can effect shooters next to you when firing from a line.

HOWEVER they expressly state that suppressors are legal. why not just run the Radiant in short config? it would help with recoil better than a flash hider and doesn't weigh very much for a can.