• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 at 1,000 yards

Austin2512

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
Not sure if this would be the right thread to ask but I’ve been thinking about building a long range gun, I’ve shot .308 out to 1,200 yards before but was thinking about doing a 5.56 build. Had anyone ever shot that round out to 1,000 yards ? And if so was there anything special about the rifle ie. barrel, hand load or factory loaded ammo, muzzle brake, trigger etc. any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Plain jane AR15 service rifle with 7.7 twist Kreiger barrel for the 77gr SMK from Blackhills ammunition; leather sling, open sights, heavy trigger, lol

Sincerely,
Theis
Why a heavy trigger ? When I had the .308 I used a 1.5lbs timney trigger

5.56 at 1000 is a lot of fun. I have done it with an AR and a bolt action.

The difficult part is seeing or hearing the hits on steel at that distance.
That's why you use hit indicators. Not sure what guys did before these. Argue a lot I assume. 😁

I have a .223 Wylde, 16” bolt gun. I run 75 grain ELDs out to 1k. It is a lot of fun, and way cheaper to shoot than anything else I’ve got. Easy on the shoulder, so my wife and kids love it too. I’m really glad I did it. I will second that it’s harder to see and hear impacts, but I always have at least a spotter or 2 along. I guess I’m a social shooter lol.

Reactions: Biscuits
yea...I've shot some 16" AR's and some 24" bolt guns to 1k in .223...you just gotta do it on a calm wind day.

223, 20", 80 gr eld-m's. No wind, ~100% on a 12" plate, and ~70% on a 5" plate. Wind, sometimes 10-20% on the 12" plate. Super fun while wind allows hitting >50%.

Super easy. My favourite when there’s no wind.
DTA SAC 223 22.5” barrel
Using either 80 SMK or 80 ELD-M @ 2.525” at 2875 fps
No recoil, cheap, lot of fun. Easy to spot your own hits.

That's why you use hit indicators. Not sure what guys did before these. Argue a lot I assume. 😁
I believe a device like this was used to increase sight and hearing.

Screenshot_20210615-101922_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
75 Gr ELD, FC brass, 2.47 oal (not magazine suitable); 24.2 Varget (per Hodgdon 25 is max), 24" Varmint bull barrel AR. 1200 yards with no to < 10 mph wind is doable.
2900 fps; 12 SD. 1000 yard milk gallon is fun. However once the wind starts 600-800 is the norm.

Reactions: st1650
done it with an 18" DD mk12 and an eotech

prefer my mausingfield with 75 JLKs at 3k fps

Spotted for a guy shooting 90 grain pills from a service rifle at 1K, iron sights. I think it was a Kreiger 1/7...he shot quite well but when that wind caught him...it caught all of us that day...my wide 9's were a scratch 6 for him. Only AR platform I saw that day.