• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$5 Bolt knob

The weld will do anything you want. It's going to be up to you to have a good enough eye to sand it round. I also considered a clamp on "form" for lack of a better term, but ditched that idea as it went nowhere. May work for you though....

I'm thinking the same. If one can make a mold of different shape that you can clamp on to the bolt and then fill it up with epoxy.

Just got finished helping my brother build a 7 mag on a remington action. He said he would like a bolt knob, guess I know how we are going to accomplish that. Thanks for the great ideas guys.

I did the same thing on my Savage Axis...

and in the rifle...

here is a clearer pic of it in the rifle (before changing stocks)

Last edited:
Could this be removed if you messed up or, for some reason, decided you didn't want it anymore? I'm just curious before I make my first attempt at it.

You could probably get it off but its not gonna be easy if your worried about messing up just try it on a piece of wood or something and see what you think. Once its set it'll be a pain to get it off

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

just started doing this on a 6.5x 55 mauser I have it looks greats so far. still have sanding to do but very happy with the results thus far. such a awesome idea

ya know, i bet a guy could put a release agent on a bolt head (like nightforce scope rings) and press it into the end of the bolt, so you could essentially pull your bolt out and use it as a wrench in a needed situation... i may do this today.

Might try this to beef up the skinny knob handle on my TRG42.

The skinny handle this robust rifle does look odd, I have done a few mods on them .

knobsTRGH.jpg

The skinny handle this robust rifle does look odd, I have done a few mods on them .

Not sure what Sako was thinking on the bolt knob......

Now that I've seen this I'm gonna change it, fo sho! I want to end up with something along these lines....

Attachments

• knobs.jpg
    knobs.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
el gordo2....I sent you a PM (a couple of times) but it doesnt show up in my PM sent box for some reason. Not sure if you got it (them) or not....but have some questions.

You've made a few of these knobs and handles....do you sell them? I'd be more interested in that than JB weld.

el gordo2....I sent you a PM (a couple of times) but it doesnt show up in my PM sent box for some reason. Not sure if you got it (them) or not....but have some questions.

You've made a few of these knobs and handles....do you sell them? I'd be more interested in that than JB weld.

He does. I just ordered one! He answered my PM right away. I'd say try it again.

going to make a test run tommorrow, got an idea on how to make the indented rings using solder, will let everyone know and post pics tommorow sometime. would start tonight but don't feel like going to get a tube of jb.

super idea though and thanks. just as an fyi they use to give us this stuff in a BDAR kit, otherwise names battle damage assesment and repair. the jb has made many a quik fix's in battle, we were told we were only limited by our imagination.

That looks perfect pharmer jon. If I ever ditch the ol' KRG BOLT LIFT I'll definitely consider this approach!

My little brother inherited an older Rem 700 in .270 from his father in law. He wanted it upgraded on the cheap so guess who got to work on it! :)

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get him a 'tactical' (I'd say practical) bolt knob for $6 (damn inflation!)

Initial progress...
9qfodj.jpg

j6gxtf.jpg

Then glob some more on:
hx91lj.jpg

I rough shaped with every home gunsmith's favorite tool, THE DREMEL!
Then sanded with 220, then 400 or 600, then final buff with 1000.
Then tape off, brake clean it, and painted with Rustoleum Engine Enamel (black) ~4 coats.
33nb8z5.jpg

Another angle.
b67d5l.jpg

Hope he likes it!

well i got the jb stick today and this is how it turned out.
let me know what you guy's think. also i used a dewalt da sander with 100 grit, put it on my bench and rotated while sanding, flattened the end then ran it around till it looked ok to me. primed, then krylon flat black camo painted. much cheaper then sending out for bolt knob mod :D

kenny

Attachments

• DSC_0549.JPG
    DSC_0549.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0550.JPG
    DSC_0550.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0554.JPG
    DSC_0554.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
Anyone run into the finished product rotating slightly? Was sanding down to final shape and it felt loose. Maybe I just didn't form it tightly enough when I was applying the JB weld. Regardless, its pretty easy to remove with a dremmel cutoff tool.

Anyone run into the finished product rotating slightly? Was sanding down to final shape and it felt loose. Maybe I just didn't form it tightly enough when I was applying the JB weld. Regardless, its pretty easy to remove with a dremmel cutoff tool.

Didn't happen to me but I know what you are talking about. Sometimes its easy for JB Weld to stick to your fingers more than what you're trying to apply it to, so when you're molding it creates gaps. If you spit on your fingers before you start molding it it wont stick to them.

I just did this to my CZ 452. Ground down the bolt handle, added some grooves for "grip" and globbed the putty. Instead of paint, I used Tool-Dip for a grippy surface. I'm tempted to Tool Dip all my bolt handles now.

Think this is about to happen a few of my toys, SUB 2000 and 308 Ruger American

There are plenty of other places I can post things for sale, i.e. Armslist, gunbroker or 1000 other forums that don't require a post count. But anyways, I was actually thinking about increasing the size of the charging knob on the latest addition to my gun family, my Sub 2000, because it is very small and uncomfortable as well adding a tube cover to reduce felt recoil and increase comfort and adding a buffer tube insert to reduce recoil. Prefer to DIY things.

Looks great. Anyone tried to make a custom hand stop for a rail?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is a great DIY idea! Thanks for posting. Here's my shot on my little rascal's Savage rascal.

Havent done one in a while but heres another. Did it quick so i was surprised the way it was coming out

Attachments

• 20171007_125855.jpg
    20171007_125855.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20171007_125848.jpg
    20171007_125848.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20171007_125823.jpg
    20171007_125823.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 80
Split piece of pic with a pipe clamp might help you get a nicer start. here's how I've Done my tikkas for a while.

Attachments

• 20180219_122959.jpg
    20180219_122959.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180219_150027.jpg
    20180219_150027.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180219_150110.jpg
    20180219_150110.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180220_095321.jpg
    20180220_095321.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: PowellSixO
That's a nice little jig to get it started. How's the durability on the bolt knob?

got 3 years on my first (1200rnds) 2 years on my second(1600rnds) and now this third one(already has 400 on it!). All look just like they did when i made them!

got 3 years on my first (1200rnds) 2 years on my second(1600rnds) and now this third one(already has 400 on it!). All look just like they did when i made them!

Question before I start doing this, do I need any kind of release agent on the inside of the pvc pipe or will it come off without any?

Split piece of pic with a pipe clamp might help you get a nicer start. here's how I've Done my tikkas for a while.

Can I see a picture with the bolt on the rifle? Thanks. I like the contour, cause lifting the bolt its often just the side of my finger, and that looks like the purpose of the knob.