• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5-H or Super Cal?

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey all, need some bipod input. Wanting to grab a dedicated bipod for my .338LM (Just long range stuff, no PRS, etc.) and have been looking at the 5-H and the Super Cal. I'm running a MDT ACC chassis so I need an ARCA clamp (adding a pic rail seems like it would defeat the purpose) so which is a better option? I know if I go 5-H I'll need something like the Area 419 Spigot mount adapter so I'm leaning towards the Super CAL as it doesn't pan but I wanted to ask if I was missing something. Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Elite iron revolution and never look back.
    93449464-FACC-4AA4-B7D6-5F2C15E56CE1.gif

I really like my SCAL but absolutely love my Elite Iron.

• Haha
    Reactions: R-B and nikonNUT
    The 5H is fundamentally more stable because the axis of revolution is above the center of mass. That makes it self centering. Go with that or the Elite Iron.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Look at the ACCU-TAC FC-4 G2 that's what I have on my .338 and love it.
    in cart price 304.85

Had s-cal on my 338. Purchased 5H, and found the 5H to tame 338 a little better.
    The 5H is fundamentally more stable because the axis of revolution is above the center of mass. That makes it self centering. Go with that or the Elite Iron.
    So here’s my question about the 5-H. With an ARCA clamp (Area 419) I will need a spigot adapter (also would be Area 419) so I add the adapter which adds height and bolt the ARCA clamp to that. At this point have I elevated that barrel out of the stability triangle or gotten close to the same position as the Super CAL defeating the purpose of the 5-H all the while adding another variable (aka pan) to the system? My question certainly lends itself to grabbing the elite iron unit but I didn’t see an ARCA option available.

So here’s my question about the 5-H. With an ARCA clamp (Area 419) I will need a spigot adapter (also would be Area 419) so I add the adapter which adds height and bolt the ARCA clamp to that. At this point have I elevated that barrel out of the stability triangle or gotten close to the same position as the Super CAL defeating the purpose of the 5-H all the while adding another variable (aka pan) to the system? My question certainly lends itself to grabbing the elite iron unit but I didn’t see an ARCA option available.
    From photos I’ve seen of the adaptors I think the 5H will still be ahead. I suspect the Elite Iron will still beat anything but an F class type setup, but I don’t know if they have an Arca mount. I would call. They do a lot of custom stuff.

In retrospect (wide awake at 2:00 A.M.), an ARCA rail is probably worth butkis to me. It's not like I'll be moving my bipod around after (or mid) stage or shooting competitively in general so a pic rail section should be good and eliminates all my issues. I'll pull the Amazon trick and order both, see what I like better and maybe put the other one on the AR-10. Definitely going to chat up Elite Iron as well. I think there is an even bigger rifle in my future (.375 Chey-Tac) so I'll need ANOTHER bipod soon enough! :lol: Thank ya'll for the the insights and opinions! Very much appreciated!

In retrospect (wide awake at 2:00 A.M.), an ARCA rail is probably worth butkis to me. It's not like I'll be moving my bipod around after (or mid) stage or shooting competitively in general so a pic rail section should be good and eliminates all my issues. I'll pull the Amazon trick and order both, see what I like better and maybe put the other one on the AR-10. Definitely going to chat up Elite Iron as well. I think there is an even bigger rifle in my future (.375 Chey-Tac) so I'll need ANOTHER bipod soon enough! :lol: Thank ya'll for the the insights and opinions! Very much appreciated!
    One of the cool things about the Elite iron is how compact it is when folded.
    No need to take it off unlike the 5-H and SCAL.

Look at the ACCU-TAC FC-4 G2 that's what I have on my .338 and love it.
    in cart price 304.85
    they make an arca version as well.

I use the Accu-Tac WB5 on my AI-338 and AX 6.5works great and is not to high when shooting of a bench or prone. Legs have plenty of travel.

Last edited:
    To give you a visual, here’s what my 5H looks like on the ACC. I did need the Area 419 spigot extension. The scope hadn’t arrived before I deployed, so was unable to shoot it and give any real feedback. Also, don’t have any of the other bipods discussed to compare it to. Cheers!
    A5F7FB05-8AEB-4157-B600-852AB30ECB41.jpeg

• Love
    To give you a visual, here’s what my 5H looks like on the ACC. I did need the Area 419 spigot extension. The scope hadn’t arrived before I deployed, so was unable to shoot it and give any real feedback. Also, don’t have any of the other bipods discussed to compare it to. Cheers!
    View attachment 7386340
    Very nice! So how do you like the spigot extension? To my eye it looks like the spigot adapter/ARCA clamp sits lower that a QD/pic rail set-up. Also, it is pretty stiff? No worries about breaking the spigot adapter loading the bipod?

Spigot adapter is a solid piece of steel, I can’t see ever having any issues. With the milled out slots on the spigot adapter it sits about as close to the forearm as you could want without rubbing while you slide it. This is due to the milled out offset slots for the bipod and clamp. Overall I was very pleased with the extension, clamp, and bipod combo. They work together very well. If you install a pic rail instead of the spigot your bipod would be farther away from rail due to not being offset like the spigot adapter is (I’m assuming as I didn’t try this). The extra 1.25” length also seems nice. That’s a 25” barrel for comparison, look how close the bipod can come to the muzzle. It’s much more stable than when I put this BT-46 on there.
    A6438AC9-F377-4547-A8E7-9D0CB89C401A.jpeg

Spigot adapter is a solid piece of steel, I can’t see ever having any issues. With the milled out slots on the spigot adapter it sits about as close to the forearm as you could want without rubbing while you slide it. This is due to the milled out offset slots for the bipod and clamp. Overall I was very pleased with the extension, clamp, and bipod combo. They work together very well. If you install a pic rail instead of the spigot your bipod would be farther away from rail due to not being offset like the spigot adapter is (I’m assuming as I didn’t try this). The extra 1.25” length also seems nice. That’s a 25” barrel for comparison, look how close the bipod can come to the muzzle. It’s much more stable than when I put this BT-46 on there.View attachment 7386453
    So you inspired me to experiment! The 5-H was waiting on me when I got home (Gotta love free overnight) so I grabbed a pic rail adapter, slapped it on the MDT and drew. If the spigot adapter drops the rifle into the cradle more then wow! If not I think I'm still golden!
    ELR RigII.jpg

And yes, my drawing sucks! :lol:

So you inspired me to experiment! The 5-H was waiting on me when I got home (Gotta love free overnight) so I grabbed a pic rail adapter, slapped it on the MDT and drew. If the spigot adapter drops the rifle into the cradle more then wow! If not I think I'm still golden!
    View attachment 7386552

And yes, my drawing sucks! :lol:
    That looks pretty good! Let us know how it compares once you get the spigot adapter. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. If I was home I’d take a similar pic for you.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing.

I might prefer a 5-H a bit because of pivot point of cant is a bit higher than SCAL. That point has nothing to do with leg angle but the radius of round rail where the mount sits.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing.

I might prefer a 5-H a bit because of pivot point of cant is a bit higher than SCAL. That point has nothing to do with leg angle but the radius of round rail where the mount sits.
    I went with the 5-H in the end. The rifle bore sits much lower in the stability triangle than it does sitting on the Super CAL.

Reactions: tna9001