• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 value scopes image quality comparison

Bmghunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Usa
Since no one asked for this, I thought I'd take some time to take some photos through these value oriented scopes.
Arken ep4
Arken ep5
Arken sh4 g2
Athlon argos g1
Bushnell MPO ED

One thing I noticed as I did this was that all the arkens require I readjust the camera focus for each magnification. This phenomenon is less an issue while using the scope, but through a camera lens was a big issue. I took time using an external large screen to view the camera output to adjust the focus properly. The Bushnell and athlon did not exhibit this issue.
I took these using a Nikon d600 with a 50mm f1.8 lens. Distance was about 75 yards. Images downscaled to this resolution from 24mp.
I hope these images do the scopes justice and that this post is useful to someone.
Bushnell 30x
mpoed-30x Large.png

Bushnell 24x
mpoed-24x Large.png

Arken ep5 25x
ep5-25x Large.png

Arken ep5 24x
ep5-24x Large.png

Arken ep4 24x
ep4-24x Large.png

Arken sh4 g2 24x
sh4g2-24x Large.png

Athlon argos g1 24x
argos-g1-24x Large.png

Bushnell 18x
mpoed-18x Large.png

Ep5 18x
ep5-18x Large.png

Ep4 18x
ep4-18x Large.png

Sh4g1 18x
sh4g2-18x Large.png

Argos g1 18x

argos-g1-18x Large.png

Bushnell 10x
mpoed-10x Large.png

Ep5 10x
ep5-10x Large.png

Ep4 10x
ep4-10x Large.png

Sh4g2 10x
sh4g2-10x Large.png

Argos g1 10x
argos-g1-10x Large.png

Bushnell 6x
mpoed-6x Large.png

Ep5 6x
ep5-6x Large.png

Ep4 6x
ep4-6x Large.png

Sh4g2 6x
sh4g2-6x Large.png

Argos g1 6x
argos-g1-6x Large.png

Bushnell 5x
mpoed-5x Large.png

Ep5 5x
ep5-5x Large.png

Last edited:
A little constructive criticism. It looks like there are dark spots on some of the images from having an obstruction in the extreme foreground. You could fix this by moving slightly to the left when taking the images,
Otherwise, it looks like a good project. Thanks.

Yeah my backyard doesn't have lots of medium distance unobstructed objects to view. Some day I might do this at another location. Something im trying to figure out is how to get perfect alignment between the camera and the scope easily.

Is the difference in resolution the same was when looking through the scopes? Basically, do these images represent/correlate to real IQ?

As a relative comparison yes. I do think the scopes all look better through the eyes than the camera makes them out to be. As for the milkiness on them, definitely not there through my eyes.

I like how much more bold the Athlon Argos reticle is compared to all the others. How would you rank the scopes optically from best to worst?