• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

50, 408 or 416 which one would you pick

Re: 50, 408 or 416 which one would you pick

I prefer the .50 for many reasons... but the main reason being commercial availability of ammo. Cheap Milsurp as low as $1.75/rd all the way up to Hornady Amax @ $6/rd... along with a gazillion reloading combinations.

Each has its own "special" applications. It's all depending on your flavor. Depending on how far you want to push it. I think the 408 and 416 are great if you can consistently shoot beyond 2500 yards. For me plinking with my Windrunner is fun enough for any distances. If loaded with the proper projos, you can certainly push it out beyond 2000 yards as well. IMHO, the components for reloading a 50 BMG is a bit cheaper and easier to find.

None of the above.

There is all kinds of information here - those who take the time to search are often rewarded.

The distance king is the 375CT a 408 wildcat, and you can still carry it. Some are shooting .338/408CT. CT rifles can be made about 15 pounds. Anything 50 or 416 based have actions too heavy for most to carry enough to hunt with - while works great if drive to where you are shooting from. Also, the 416 based on the 50 both use primers not as good for accuracy, build for quantity instead of quality. CT company is not around so much anymore quit communicating with customers - others like Jamison are handing CT things these days for them it seems. Hard to predict the future. The 375VM 408 CT wildcat looks interesting for the future, is just going through initial testing by its creators.

The ultimate hunting gun money no object right now to me would be a .338/408CT for now due to bullet selection with the most powder capacity. Still heavy at 12-17 pounds. Less kick than a 408 or 375 in same brass case. When gets figured out could re-barrel to shoot in one of the 375CT flavors like the 375VM, if ever better than a 338 to hunt with. 375 CT wildcats have proven so far may fly best, while the guys here who are shooting them are making the future happen now. Money to buy and shoot enough to be practiced is a factor for most.

A more affordable lighter rifle easier to carry to hunt anything is the 338 Lapua Magnum. The 338LM will handle any realistic hunting situation. Flies similar to the flat 7mmRM then beyond with gobs more energy - the heavier 338LM bullets have more momentum and fight wind better than most as well. 338LM has much longer barrel life than a 338/408CT. The 338LM is the global standard and NATO sniper round. As so many countries have will be around. Recently set longest kill record for a man. Savage is coming out with a new model, the 10 FCP HS a lot of gun for the money at $1300 list (hear shipping in August, so too early to say what street price will be, should shoot sub MOA).

When going for live animals hunt at distances you practice and shoot often with hunting bullets (not FMJ/Match usually illegal). I am comfortable with my 3006 and backup 3006 out to 500yds in the right situations - for example no wind broadside standing when have a rest. Get lots. Seems most of my kills happen 300yds and less. When squeeze the trigger know it is going down or don't shoot. With a Lapua or CT-flavor I could get comfortable shooting further depending on lots of factors. Being able to afford to practice enough at the same distances to be comfortable is huge. Only take a shot at game if know through regular practice it is going to happen. Work up to it. Think how bad would feel if wound it. They eat better when go down fast so make it happen that way.

Hope this helps you dream then have a new gun to have more fun.

.50 BMG. I can't see hunting with a 17 pound rifle any more than I can see hunting with a 28 pound rifle. .50 BMG costs less to shoot than any of the real exotics, has long barrel life and an abundance of components and, at the end of the day, throws a good deal more lead (or soft steel wrapped in copper, if you want to be picky).

Cost makes a big difference. At $1-$4 a shot (reloading) the .50 is far from inexpensive, but the .375, .408 and .416 require semi-custom bullets that cost significantly more than .50 bullets. You can also get a good single-shot .50 in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000.

Maybe someday I will be a good enough shot to have to worry about reaching 2000+ yards. Until then, the .50 makes far and away the most sense for me.

I have a Windrunner 50 currently and before that a State Arms.Love the round, it's fun, accurate,reasonably priced if you reload.I don't hunt so can't comment on the practicality, though I'd believe it's effective but unwieldy.The other rounds offer options based on your needs, but for me the "fifty" is where it's at, just nothing like the blast and ejecting that dog turd sized piece of brass....
OH YAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 50 AMAX and had 408 CT, no 416. Hunted Elk with the 50 and worked well as long as you can drive up, set up and glass. Most 50's too heavy to piss ant around same with 408 for me, I'm no young buck. If I extreme LR hunted now it would be with a 338 LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the above.

There is all kinds of information here - those who take the time to search are often rewarded.

The distance king is the 375CT a 408 wildcat, and you can still carry it. Some are shooting .338/408CT. CT rifles can be made about 15 pounds. Anything 50 or 416 based have actions too heavy for most to carry enough to hunt with - while works great if drive to where you are shooting from. Also, the 416 based on the 50 both use primers not as good for accuracy, build for quantity instead of quality. CT company is not around so much anymore quit communicating with customers - others like Jamison are handing CT things these days for them it seems. Hard to predict the future. The 375VM 408 CT wildcat looks interesting for the future, is just going through initial testing by its creators.

The ultimate hunting gun money no object right now to me would be a .338/408CT for now due to bullet selection with the most powder capacity. Still heavy at 12-17 pounds. Less kick than a 408 or 375 in same brass case. When gets figured out could re-barrel to shoot in one of the 375CT flavors like the 375VM, if ever better than a 338 to hunt with. 375 CT wildcats have proven so far may fly best, while the guys here who are shooting them are making the future happen now. Money to buy and shoot enough to be practiced is a factor for most.

A more affordable lighter rifle easier to carry to hunt anything is the 338 Lapua Magnum. The 338LM will handle any realistic hunting situation. Flies similar to the flat 7mmRM then beyond with gobs more energy - the heavier 338LM bullets have more momentum and fight wind better than most as well. 338LM has much longer barrel life than a 338/408CT. The 338LM is the global standard and NATO sniper round. As so many countries have will be around. Recently set longest kill record for a man. Savage is coming out with a new model, the 10 FCP HS a lot of gun for the money at $1300 list (hear shipping in August, so too early to say what street price will be, should shoot sub MOA).

When going for live animals hunt at distances you practice and shoot often with hunting bullets (not FMJ/Match usually illegal). I am comfortable with my 3006 and backup 3006 out to 500yds in the right situations - for example no wind broadside standing when have a rest. Get lots. Seems most of my kills happen 300yds and less. When squeeze the trigger know it is going down or don't shoot. With a Lapua or CT-flavor I could get comfortable shooting further depending on lots of factors. Being able to afford to practice enough at the same distances to be comfortable is huge. Only take a shot at game if know through regular practice it is going to happen. Work up to it. Think how bad would feel if wound it. They eat better when go down fast so make it happen that way.

Hope this helps you dream then have a new gun to have more fun.
</div></div>

What about the 338 Edge? I am thinking about rebarreling my 300RUM to an edge. they say you can throw a 300gr SMK at 2900fps. Have any of you ever shot one or know someone who has?

I would have to agree with the 50 crowd , all the reasons given
already . Tell most anyone you have a 50bmg and they want to shoot it ! They dont say ( you got what ?)

if you are hunting with a .50 bmg, you aren't really there for the prestige. the .50 is not king of the hill in ballistic performance, nor is the 408 CheyTac, or 375 CheyTac (anymore). the 375 Viersco is the new king by a large stretch on ballistics (1.4+ estimated BC at 3200-3400fps). the Viersco is NOT a CheyTac wildcat, but a brand new round rather, developed from the ground up. it actually makes a 408 round look small. in reality, who is going to hunt at 2000-3000 yards? not many. I'm curious where they got their info on that link that was posted

I've owned a .408 Cheytac and spent last weekend shooting a Bushmaster .50 caliber BMG.

BCW3M-30-50BMGLW.jpg

Here's my take on the big bore issue.

Unless you have very deep pockets and can afford to spend a bucket load of money on each reloading order, stay away from the "exotic" calibers.

The least expensive of the big-bore calibers is the .50 BMG. They are big and heavy, but commercial and surplus ammo is available so you can shoot 20 rounds for under $100.

But if you just have to be the baddest guy on the block, I'd check out the .375 Viersco Magnum.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...288#Post2230288

375VM-338_Lapua-compare.jpg

410gr.jpg

Just my opinion. That and $2.50 just might get you a cup of coffee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about the 338 Edge? I am thinking about rebarreling my 300RUM to an edge. they say you can throw a 300gr SMK at 2900fps. Have any of you ever shot one or know someone who has? </div></div>

Look in the 338 Edge page in the reloading subforum.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2408065#Post2408065

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about the 338 Edge? I am thinking about rebarreling my 300RUM to an edge. they say you can throw a 300gr SMK at 2900fps. Have any of you ever shot one or know someone who has? </div></div>
Your 300RUM is a great start. Many here shoot the EDGE and have friends with them at the gun club. The EDGE is a good idea worth strong consideration. A top of the heap hunting rifle can carry and shoot as far as can see very similar to the 338 Lapua Magnum. They say the EDGE has slightly larger powder capacity than the Lapua while too close to call, basically the same. Hear sometimes EDGE numbers quoted slightly faster, 100fps or so if that. You can use the same bolt for an EDGE all you would need is a barrel swap. The EDGE is a necked up 300 RUM so can get brass cheap and fire form. Your rifle with a different bolt / barrel could also become a 338 Lapua. There are pluses and minuses to both camps. EDGE is for hand loaders only and a true wildcat where ammo is not on the shelf. Some say EDGE less expensive to shoot. Lapua has good factory ammo more expensive to shoot so everything is a trade off (Serbian and other lower cost Lapua brass options available makes the 338LM more affordable to shoot than many think possible). Is a coin flip. Both awesome.

Take the time to figure out how to do searches and you will be rewarded. You can get far with the box in the upper left put the + sign in front of everything you list. There is also a custom search some of the guys have if you watch for it.

Here are just a few quick threads found doing quick searches to get you started ...

One comparing the 338 Lapua to the 338 EDGE:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2223710

Some other EDGE threads include:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2202368

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2197474

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1751840

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2167019

Building a Lapua:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2337500

Aftermarket bolt to help make a Remington Model 700 into a 338LM:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1969298

338LM Load Data:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2539933

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2530323

Further information on the 375VM (expensive while may be the best so deserves to stay in the conversation as an awesome gun to dream about for lottery winners and government application):

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2230288

Hope that helps you get started in the right direction. A 300RUM is no slouch, while when re-barrel would go to one of the 338s that can carry farther with more energy in the same platform. Lapua is the NATO standard with government continued investment. Lapua has more shooters to gain information from, while there are plenty of EDGE operators around also. Both are are identical in performance. Probably go 1 in 9 twist for either 338 to better fly the 300g projectiles. Sako recently changed from 1 in 10 to 1 in 9 as their 338LM standard. There is also a 338LM Improved wildcat but then back to hand load only:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2470815

Lots of shooters here of all kinds to help you. This can be a great place to gain first hand information from people who know from doing. Those who look around and prove try to find answers seem to be rewarded the most when ask questions. Take your time and do research and the people here on the Hide will help you spend your money in the best way possible.