• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 AMAX or 53?

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I have shot a lot of P Dogs with 50gr. amax and ballistic tip B.H. loads. A lot. Remington 12 twist factory rifles.[223].
My current rifle is a 24" 9 twist 5r. I am loading my own now and have been shooting 69 Sierras, honing my skills loading.
My question is should I be looking at rthese new 53's with the little boat tail or stick with the flat base bullets. I would like to find a accurate load 3200fps.
Sure have enjoyed terminal ballistics to 300 or so with the 50's just not sure which to try to hunt down. That is a new calculation I [we] have not had to concider before.

I have wondered the same, except I was comparing the 55gr vmax flat base and the newer 53gr vmax boat tail. The 53's coefficient should make it excel.

Midway had some 53gr V-Max's on blemish. Picked up 500 to give it a try. Currently use the 50gr Z-Max/V-Max and it works pretty well for me. The extra 50 points in BC will add some to its ability to buck the wind a little longer.

53 AMAX's are very accurate out of my AR-15 SBR. I put a scope on it just to accuracy test and they ran about 1/2" at 100 yds. Might as well give them a try and see. The Z-max's on the other hand gave acceptable accuracy, but not exception.

Since you have an acceptable twist for them, I say go with the 53gr. Slightly lower velocity, with slightly greater BC...but a lot nicer to seat the bullets with the boat tail! That's what clinched it for me.

I made the switch from the other side, 55gr v-max to the 53gr. Performance on prairie dogs was the same amazing effect you've come to love about v-maxs (it's only 2 grains after all). Now, it might very well have just been the fact that I KNEW it had a better BC (albeit not much) so I THOUGHT I observed it doing better, but there seemed to be less wind drift. I shot all 55s one year, came back with all 53s the next, and there was several times the first day where I overcompensated for the wind. That could also be attested to just being out of practice.

Anyways, you will lose nothing by switching, but gain easier seating while loading.

I just started shooting 60gr vmax NON-boat tail and they are shooting much better than my 55grn vmax boat tail by far. This is out of a 18" 1:8 twist tho.

I'm talking 100 to 300 yrd. shoots mostly & I have no prejudices against the Flat-backs & accuracy . The 50 Vmax's have always treated me good on the varmint . I tried-53's out . I know the vmax 53's have & do carry a little bit better on holdover & windhold . but I really I think I get better accuracy with the 50 vmax . They have always been pretty easy to blaze with the Vel. & stack tight groups .

I just started shooting 60gr vmax NON-boat tail and they are shooting much better than my 55grn vmax boat tail by far. This is out of a 18" 1:8 twist tho.

I have found this also with the 60 vmax . I shoot them with all my 223 bolts and semis for varmints. The 50-53's I use in .221fb and .222 rifles.