• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 50 BMG & 300 winmag Scope. serious biz

Enki

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2012
Texas
Ok, serious question, I need an educated opinion... I have an AR50 that has a 4.5-14x50 leupold MK4 LR/T... I have a REM 700 SENDERO SFII that I need to mount a scope.. I also have a free 20x42 SWFA super sniper..
question:
It pains me to think about putting a 300 dollar scope on my 50 but the fact is that shots are going to likely be long range unless i need to disable a BMP... because I will be using the rem 700 more... which scope do you all think would be better suited for which rifle. I will probably be shooting matches with my sendero so do I stick with the fixed power SWFA or put the MK4 on it?

Re: 50 BMG & 300 winmag Scope. serious biz

thank you, I agree... it just stings a little bit to take from my 4 thousand dollar rifle... but really its more like a conversation piece... its hard to find a range that will le tme shoot it, and when i do its 200 yards... why would i want to shoot a 4 dollar bullet at the same range i shoot my.17HMR
thanks again!

For what it's worth I'm in almost exactly the same position: Leupold LR/T on my GPS Defense .308 and the SWFA on my BA50. I'm still going to upgrade the glass on the .50 and use the Super Sniper on something else, but I too had to decide which scope was going to actually get USED and not just "look right" on the rifles. We may both be wrong, but at least we're not alone :)

Just finished watching the Magpul Precicion Rifle series done by Todd Hodnett at Accuracy 1st in Texas. He's shooting a Larue QD scope mount. He recommends spending the money on one good scope and moving it between rifles rather than spending the equivalent on several mediocre scopes dedicated to one rifle each. He even had the shooters switch their scopes between each other, re-zero within a few shots and shoot a course of fire. Blew me away, but it's given me a new direction to look into, maybe one super high-end scope to move between rifles. I know that's sacrilege, but Todd made me a believer.

why not sell the AR50? oh you only have 2 posts. see you in 2 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not sell the AR50? oh you only have 2 posts. see you in 2 months.
</div></div>
Did you have an issue with a BA50 at some point? I only get back to the U.S. a few weeks a year, so I've gotten to do a fam-fire with mine but haven't gotten to really get serious with it yet. Something I should know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not sell the AR50? oh you only have 2 posts. see you in 2 months.
</div></div>

Whats this have to do with his question?? I would throw that 4-14 Mk IV on the Sendero. Would probably suit you better in matches. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Whats this have to do with his question?? I would throw that 4-14 Mk IV on the Sendero. Would probably suit you better in matches. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

you need 100 posts to post anything in the for sale section

get a good set of rings, log zero for each rifle with the leupold, and have at it.

I think he was trying to be mr funny man cause there are alot of Hodnett haters on here for some silly reason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Munson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think he was trying to be mr funny man cause there are alot of Hodnett haters on here for some silly reason</div></div>

Not so much Hodnett haters as much as haters of that Magpul Precision Rifle video.

If you're really set on using just those two scopes, I'd put the SWFA on the .50. If it were up to me, though, I'd sell it to fund another scope that you'll be happy with. Or I'd sell the .50. I don't see the point of having such an expensive rifle that isn't going to be shot.

I agree with Temp9. I had a 20xss on a 50, it worked for about 100 rounds. Then it required focus adjustment after each shot. I sent it back to swfa and got a mk4.