• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

50 BMG Projectiles LC pulled or SA new

Triggerhappy

General Nuscience
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2009
    Calif., MO
    I see an AR50 in my future and want to know if anyone has an opinion on what is the best for the money. I will get match grade stuff too but want something to play with and give friends something to shoot that is cheaper.

New South African 690gr -OR- Lake City Pulled.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8557&dir=278|281|303

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000458&dir=278|281|303

I have no problem sizing the LC I cast bullets and am used to sizing bullets.
    Any experienced input would be appreciated.

Re: 50 BMG Projectiles LC pulled or SA new

Thanks,I will likely get some of those but I normally shoot steel and do not want to eat it up any faster than I have to.

The 690gr ball SA pills have a mild steel core so you may not want to shoot them at your steel targets (depends on distance and thickness/hardness of your steel). Not the most accurate bullets, they are good for 2 MOA.

I bought a bunch of them from Wideners a couple of years ago. I load them up in LC brass and 230 gr of H50 BMG and CCI 35 primers.

I was getting average of 2977 fps out of my 29" bbl Barret M99.

Another small problem with the 690gr SA pills is the weight variation. I sorted all 2000 or so of mine into 680 - 685, 686 - 690, 691 - 695...etc all the way up to 715gr. There were very few though that weighed at the extremes of low and high with the majority of them in two separate lots of 685 and 695.

But like you said, great for plinking with the friends and just getting some Big Fifty trigger time. Always puts a smile on everyones face!!

50 bmg supply has a decent looking selection of goodies for the cannons.

Gunauction.com has some cases of federal 660gr ball ammo that have been going for around $2.50/round

That's my current best find for .50 plinking ammo.

I have been wondering how accurate the ammo is out of the box, though as I caught myself chasing my tail one day adjusting the scope too often.

HotsunTX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBL202</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 690gr ball SA pills have a mild steel core so you may not want to shoot them at your steel targets (depends on distance and thickness/hardness of your steel). Not the most accurate bullets, they are good for 2 MOA.</div></div>

I am shooting AR500 Steel and will be getting 5/8'-3/4" for the 50bmg @ over 500yds closer to 900-1200yds.

I have been loading the 690AP for several years. As long as it is resized it shoots GREAT.
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793
    Pretty much does not matter what you shoot it is going to mess up your targets. But that is what you got a .50 for right? Nothing like 700 grains at 2400fps to make swiss cheese outa' your steel.
    As said above contact THE SENTINAL he has a lot of projo's for sale and he is a stand up great guy to deal with.