• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50 BMG

mrkfilip

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Texas
I'm starting to get a stock pile of .50 BMG Brass just because its readily available where I work. I'm wanting to start to handload the brass but haven't decided on a weapon to feed it through yet. Just looking for some suggestions on a single shot, bolt action rifle at a mid-level price. Somewhere around the 4's to 5's is where I'm trying to keep it. Looking for any suggestions.Thanks everyone

Re: .50 BMG

I've had a Barrett M99 for sometime and have been pleased with it. It isn't the prettiest thing to look at, but it is rugged, reliable, and accurate. The M99 will cut the OAL of the rifle down due to being a bull-pup style rifle. There are other options, but my vote goes for the Barrett.

+1 for the barrett M99. I've had one for several years now and love it. They are between $3500 and 4500 brand new. Just make sure you go with a good scope. I have a nightforce 8-32x56nxs on mine, makes a pretty good combo.

Strongly recommend the Barrett M99. I had one, very accurate single shot. It is bombproof. Very sturdy indeed. The trigger can be a bit better, but other than that, I have no complaint.

For the money the Serbu BFG-50's are great, I really don't think you can beat it for the price (but then I'm a fan of the Serbu).

If you don't mind spending a bit of cash then I would suggest a McMillan or a Windrunner (the EDM Windrunner is my dream rifle).

From there an AR-50 and then maybe a Barret M99.

Do you want to get rid of any of that brass? I have some API, Spotter Tracer, Amax, Lapua projectiles that need loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite AR-50 </div></div>

I own a M82a1 and while I love everything about my Barrett this would be my choice for a single shot rifle. There are cheaper options out there but you have to remember you are basically touching off a small grenade next to your face,.. Do you really want to skimp on the engineering & build quality to save a few bucks?

For what your looking for either the Armalite AR-50 or Barrett M99.

The ones that come to mind are the Armalite, Barrett, ALS, Serbu, EDM(discontinued I think), and Ferret 50. They're all within your budget, but I'd opt for the Ferret. You have options at the time of ordering like rail taper, bbl length, and Chrome or SS, and it can be mated to an existing AR15 lower.

The ferret50 and the barrett 99 were two of the rifles I was really looking into. The M107 leaves a little sour taste in my mouth after shooting it(accuracy wise)so I've been a little sketchy about going with Barrett and I've really never talked to anyone who has shot the ferret50 or seen any groups produced out of it. Anyone shooting the ferrett50 can share any info on it?

this is a sickness....and boy you got it bad!!!!

one that gets brass for zip then ......wants the gun to shoot it is just plain 'ole sick............

If I dfo come across a lot more of that brass, Stefan73, you'll definately be one of the first to know. Boltripper is right. I do have the sickness. I shoot my 300win at 600-1000 and its not really that fun anymore. time to upgrade and stretch the legs out a bit further

I also got the sickness a while back, I was thinking that I really wanted to start shooting “Some Serious Long Range”, and nothing would do that more definitively than a .50 BMG.

I checked around the .50 BMG community and found that most winning competitive shooters using bolt action factory rifles were shooting an AR-50. Great accuracy out of the box, good design, very reliable.
I picked one up and shot it for around a year, won some matches and placed top 3 in a number of them, but was never able to make it to nationals at Raton, NM.

While it was a “good experience”, I sold my rifle and I have never looked back. Reasoning behind that was:

- If you check around you will see that there have been a number of “.50 BMG incidents” over the last couple of years. If you have seen what a .50 BMG Out-of-Battery Firing will do to someone when everything goes boom, you will probably think twice about ever firing a .50 BMG. Plenty of people have fired thousands of .50 BMG rounds without incident, but if there is a problem, per the post above you are facing the power of a hand grenade.

- When you have to start paying $2-$5 dollars every time you pull the trigger, unless you are “independently wealthy” then it starts to seriously get into your wallet really quickly. Reality is, nothing about a .50 BMG is cheap, and you are going to have to continually make a serious financial output if you are going to actually shoot one versus just letting it set in the safe.

- Reality is, a .50 BMG is not really an effective long range platform unless you are trying to hit large or area targets at extreme ranges. I can easily take a .300 or .338 and outshoot a .50 BMG out to a mile. In a number of matches, I was actually shooting both my .50 BMG and my .300 WM, and my .300 scores were always better than my .50 BMG scores. It is much more practical to “tune” something like a .300 for long range accuracy than it is a .50 BMG.

Sorry, I am not trying to rain on your parade, but hopefully provide some insight from someone who has been there done that and chucked a lot of time and money into doing it to just end up walking away from it all in the end.

There are some hard core .50 BMG shooters who are really pushing the art and science behind shooting the .50 BMG, but I would bet 50%-70% of the .50 BMG shooters out there shoot them just because of the “cool factor”.

If you do decide to go for it, make sure that you check out:

50 Cal Shooters Assoc

North Coast Shooters Assoc

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Reactions: j-huskey

I know a few guys who are really into the art. Newman who was in Dallas TX (I haven't heard from him in a long time and a few others). The fifty is fun, its big, mean and loud!
The AR-50 is by far the loadest with the most effective muzzle break that I have experienced (it is really comfortable to shoot).
I think you can tune up the fifty also but it is a bit more challenging putting as many rounds down range like you would with other calibers. Cost, recoil, concussion/muzzle blast all take a toll and makes it a bit more challenging. But, and this is a big but, the fifty is the easiest weapon I have seen peg 1500 meter e-types consistently and that was with ball ammo!

The other thing about the fifty which I enjoy is some of the sexier ammunition! Spotter tracer, it is an absolute hoot to shoot!!! Nothing like sending a 800grn dual tracer element into a hard target, or a soft target for some fun!

The fifty is a blast!!! Literally

Reactions: deersniper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also got the sickness a while back, I was thinking that I really wanted to start shooting “Some Serious Long Range”, and nothing would do that more definitively than a .50 BMG.

I checked around the .50 BMG community and found that most winning competitive shooters using bolt action factory rifles were shooting an AR-50. Great accuracy out of the box, good design, very reliable.
I picked one up and shot it for around a year, won some matches and placed top 3 in a number of them, but was never able to make it to nationals at Raton, NM.

While it was a “good experience”, I sold my rifle and I have never looked back. Reasoning behind that was:

- If you check around you will see that there have been a number of “.50 BMG incidents” over the last couple of years. If you have seen what a .50 BMG Out-of-Battery Firing will do to someone when everything goes boom, you will probably think twice about ever firing a .50 BMG. Plenty of people have fired thousands of .50 BMG rounds without incident, but if there is a problem, per the post above you are facing the power of a hand grenade.

- When you have to start paying $2-$5 dollars every time you pull the trigger, unless you are “independently wealthy” then it starts to seriously get into your wallet really quickly. Reality is, nothing about a .50 BMG is cheap, and you are going to have to continually make a serious financial output if you are going to actually shoot one versus just letting it set in the safe.

- Reality is, a .50 BMG is not really an effective long range platform unless you are trying to hit large or area targets at extreme ranges. I can easily take a .300 or .338 and outshoot a .50 BMG out to a mile. In a number of matches, I was actually shooting both my .50 BMG and my .300 WM, and my .300 scores were always better than my .50 BMG scores. It is much more practical to “tune” something like a .300 for long range accuracy than it is a .50 BMG.

Sorry, I am not trying to rain on your parade, but hopefully provide some insight from someone who has been there done that and chucked a lot of time and money into doing it to just end up walking away from it all in the end.

There are some hard core .50 BMG shooters who are really pushing the art and science behind shooting the .50 BMG, but I would bet 50%-70% of the .50 BMG shooters out there shoot them just because of the “cool factor”.

If you do decide to go for it, make sure that you check out:

50 Cal Shooters Assoc

North Coast Shooters Assoc

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Lots of good info to think about here,.. I think I drag my 82 out maybe two or three times a year,.. But I rarely get out to shoot as much as I want anymore. Then again I am far from "independently wealthy"

I would also suggest the FCSA.

For the semi autos (M82/M107's) it comes down to the ammo being the limiting factor,.. With XM33 I can still hit at 1000+,... not going to get a 10x kinda score,. But it will hit just the same
wink.gif

I'm definately going to check into what captrichardson had to say and look into it. I'm currently running a 6.5x284 and have two built 300win's. I'm really looking into that little bit more range and since I do have .50BMG cases readily available I figured i would go there. Still a little new to the reloading scene but can I neck down that brass to maybe something smaller...possibly 416 or something else along those lines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine.
CarRegistration054.jpg
</div></div>

Love my Windrunner too.

I'd say the AR50 is worth a good look, They are very accurate, have pretty much the lightest recoil of any of the 50s and can be had for good prices (around $2500 give or take). The down side is a 60" rifle!

The EDM ones are well built, rugged and can be packed into a much smaller case for carry since the Barrel comes off, but they usually go in the 5k to 6k range easily.

The AI 50 is a nice rifle but a bit on the expensive side, more of a thing to have a matching rifle to go with the AW etc. The suppressed AI 50s are nice in that they sound more like a normal .308 going off, but with a suppressor instead of a brake, they kick like a mule.

Barrett Semi auto 50 is way up there on the fun / cool scale but for target shooting, the bolt action ones will out shoot it.

I shot a few different 50's before I purchased my TAC 50. The Barrett did not impress me at all since I was looking for a very accurate rifle. Even the single shot did not perform as I thought it should but that may have been just that rifle. The TAC50 loves the factory Hornady rounds with the 750A-Max. So far I have been very impressed with the product overall. Mine has the round muzzle brake instead of the big flat one.

It's a expensive one to feed though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knesek Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the EDM bandwagon, the ability to have the .408 conversion is what does it for me </div></div>

You guys rock! ( I got my m82 from y'all )

There was a EDM in one of the local fun stores a few months back,.. The owner of the store ended up keeping it for himself for the same reason.

There are positives and negatives with any rifle caliber.One is always better than the other,or more accurate than the other,or cheaper to shoot than the other.I have alot of rifles and three 50's.One AR50,a Tac50 and a shorty shellholder.I compete with the AR and compete/hunt with the Tac50 amd hunt with the shorty.As far as ammo cost goes,take a look at the price for a box of any decent factory ammo.Even berdan primed surplus is up 100% in cost.I couldn't afford to shoot any of my rifles,if I didn't reload.If a 50bmg is what you want,then go for it.Shellholders are cheaper,but they take more time to reload the rifle.The "upper" style's(ferret/safety harbor/bohica/zel..others)let you use an already existing AR lower,but you have to upgrade the hammer and hammer spring for reliable firing.One other plus,is they don't require any paperwork to buy them.The other major manufacturers are out of your price range.
I reccommend the AR50.It shoots great,it's accurate and it's very reliable.Thats why I own one.
Have fun,
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine.
CarRegistration054.jpg
</div></div>

Love my Windrunner too.</div></div>

^^^^ What he said!!!

For all the comments on ammo cost, it's also worth bringing up the question of just how often you go to the range.

If you're burdened with having your own private range in the backyard, and shoot on a daily basis, then yeah - ammo costs of even .22 LR will pile up quick.

On the other hand, if you typically go to the range once or twice a month, remember that you're not going to go blasting the same number of rounds downrange with a .50 as you would a 7.62x39 AK. I can burn 200 rounds of .308 in a carbine match (at $.40-50/apiece), but wouldn't likely shoot more than 50 rounds of .50 BMG in a day. The former might cost $80-100, but the latter is going to be closer to $100-150 at $2-3 apiece (reloaded or surplus). Net effect, you wind up spending roughly the same amount of money either way. Unless you're only shooting .22LR, then if you're like most shooters I know and go out to the range for the purpose of <span style="font-style: italic">shooting</span> your weapons, you're going to spend money in ammo one way or another.

Barrett makes good weapons, but realize that most people say "Barrett!!!" only because of the king's ransoms that Ronnie spends every year on advertising. There are plenty of other companies out there making equally high-quality rifles that simply don't advertise outside of Very High Power and SHOT Show.

As far as the out-of-battery issue goes, if you're going to give up shooting because of it then you might as well go back to playing with Ruger 10/22s. I absolutely guarantee that there have been more catastrophic failures (kabooms, in the parlance) of centerfire .22-.30 caliber rifles over the past half century than there have been with .50 BMG bolt guns. The odds are vanishingly rare, and the results of a true failure - .50 BMG, 5.56, 7.62, or otherwise - have a strong chance of being medically serious regardless of caliber. Maintain your equipment, don't buy products <span style="font-weight: bold">known</span> to have issues, and pay attention to what you're doing (particularly when reloading).

And more importantly than all of that, take care when driving to and from the range - because your odds of dying are wildly higher behind a car than they are behind a rifle on a square range.

Thanks to all. Lots of sound advice that I will definately take into consideration for the next build. I just have to weight the pros and cons, then decide on what i will suit me best. Thanks to all who posted.

Love a lot of them have a BA-50 which I will post some detailed photos of later. Love the EDM and will have one shipping soon,also on the lower price the Surbu. There are as said many uppers and a few really good ones. On my way to the Funeral and then to the shop so give me a few hr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite AR-50 </div></div>

I own a M82a1 and while I love everything about my Barrett this would be my choice for a single shot rifle. There are cheaper options out there but you have to remember you are basically touching off a small grenade next to your face,.. Do you really want to skimp on the engineering & build quality to save a few bucks?

For what your looking for either the Armalite AR-50 or Barrett M99. </div></div>

the 50 BMG cartridge has less chamber pressure than a 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite AR-50 </div></div>

For what your looking for either the Armalite AR-50 or Barrett M99. </div></div>

the 50 BMG cartridge has less chamber pressure than a 5.56.</div></div>
If you have seen an OOB in a .50 you will agree it is like a hand grenade going off next to your face. Comparing cartridges in the 20 to 30 grain range to one with 230 by saying it has more pressure seems a bit juvenile even if "factually" correct.

I love my EDM

3.jpg

I also own a Bluegrass armory .50 but am selling soon.

I reload my own .50 ammo and after doing a lot of shooting here are my oppinions of shooting this round.

Ammo is expensive but reloading your own helps. But I really only shoot my edm a few times a year when I shoot mile plus distances. (I don't shoot at bottles and such)
P1000569.jpg

(My last shooting trip at 2300 yards)

Whenever I go to the range I always have someone who wants to shoot it.

Mine is accurate and it likes the 750 a max.
You have to get all new scaled up reloading gear (new press dies trimmers primers etc... so be ready to spend the money)

To sum it up I am getting rid of my Bluegrass because I just don't shoot it anymore since I got my EDM. I wish I just spent the money up front and got what I really wanted the first time out. It is a lot of money to shoot but again I only go out a few times a year. I would say I shoot approx 100-130 rounds a year and if you reload your own that costs approx $400 a year to shoot the good stuff.

I will never get rid of my EDM and I like it so much I am thinking of getting a .416 barrett barrell for it in the future.

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
50bmg.jpg

Sorry took so long been moving. Enjoy what ever one you get</div></div>
Nice shooter.
smile.gif

If you hurry there is a EDM ss99 on gunbroker for $3950 (not mine and I have no affiliation with the seller). Or if you are patient Bill sells his dealer samples for around $5000 for an EDM M96.

The Mechanic she loves to shoot among other things
smile.gif

To the OP The BA-50 has left handed bolt and right hand ejection with ten round mag.Can be had in the price range you stated. I find it very nice to shoot. It is my fav. gun.shoots like a dream.just got to get my night force on it.

The edm is a great weapon and if it is a little out of your price range that's ok as they have $1,000 down and unlimited time to pay it off layaway plan at this time. You might have the cash but thought I let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 BMG cartridge has less chamber pressure than a 5.56.</div></div>

Where did that information come from? I contacted Hornady when I first got into 50BMGs in 2007, and while I don't remember the exact chamber pressure numbers(for different temps), their loads were well over 60,000 PSI. Based on the reloading manuals I have, the 223 can get to about 55,000 PSI, the 5.56 is a bit higher than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hurry there is a EDM ss99 on gunbroker for $3950 (not mine and I have no affiliation with the seller). Or if you are patient Bill sells his dealer samples for around $5000 for an EDM M96.</div></div>

I didn't realize the cost was $6000 for a new M96 now. RogueActual, since your budget is $4000-5000, consider saving up for that. I humped one around for about 100yds before shooting it a few months ago. That small package makes it easier to put in and take out of the trunk of a car, it makes the weight more manageable, and it's comfortable to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine.
CarRegistration054.jpg
</div></div>

Love my Windrunner too. </div></div>

Hey Machanic, The wind was really kicking up in there! That wind flag your EDM indicates a tail wind at 5:00.
wink.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine.
CarRegistration054.jpg
</div></div>

Love my Windrunner too. </div></div>

Hey Mechanic, The wind was really kicking up in there! That wind flag your EDM indicates a tail wind at 5:00.
wink.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>
That's the price tag. So high it defies gravity.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 BMG cartridge has less chamber pressure than a 5.56.</div></div>

Where did that information come from? I contacted Hornady when I first got into 50BMGs in 2007, and while I don't remember the exact chamber pressure numbers(for different temps), their loads were well over 60,000 PSI. Based on the reloading manuals I have, the 223 can get to about 55,000 PSI, the 5.56 is a bit higher than that.
</div></div>

I don't have any reloading manuals in front of me, but as a highly unreliable point of reference, Wikipedia lists .50 BMG at 54.8k PSI, and 5.56 at 62k PSI.

I've heard some good things about the Truvello 12.7x99,
It's a .50BMG but for licencing reasons they call it a 12.7x99... I'm standing under correction, but think it's sub 3000$...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 BMG cartridge has less chamber pressure than a 5.56.</div></div>

</div></div>

I don't have any reloading manuals in front of me, but as a highly unreliable point of reference, Wikipedia lists .50 BMG at 54.8k PSI, and 5.56 at 62k PSI. </div></div>

I had a memory lapse...that "over 60,000 PSI" figure I was given was a max value for the 50BMG, not their loads.

A few sources, including wiki, state "max pressure" as ~55,000 PSI. I won't refute that, my figures are based on what I read. However, in an article regarding a 50BMG action, Daniel Lilja writes:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we plug a peak chamber pressure of 65,000 PSI into the formula to simulate a fairly stiff handload, we find that the amount of bolt thrust generated is about 23,610 pounds.</div></div>
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/50calibre/mcbros_50_bmg_action.htm
That's about the same value I was given for max pressure.

Going back to why chamber pressure was brought up, a 5.56 may or many not generate more pressure than a 50BMG. But as The Mechanic pointed out, that doesn't change the fact that an OOBD with a 50BMG can occur, and this <link> can be the end result. Looking at those pictures, the "grenade" analogy seems fitting.

Interesting link about the Barrett ka-boom, DocV.

It also reminds me about one of my rules of thumb:
Don't use ammo from a country where you wouldn't drink their water.

Not getting a 50 anytime soon but that EDM sure is nice! Has a MUCH better looking muzzle break that that huge rectangle looking piece on the Bushmaster.

I bought an AR50 four years ago. I shot a couple hundred rounds through it the first year and haven't shot it this year since febuary. I bought a Lee reloading kit, Lyman case trimmer, and then the powder and primer grabbing started. I've not resized the first piece of brass. I have my own farm that I can shoot as far as I can see and still don't get it out often. I love to shoot it but I hate having to drag that heavy sob out from under the bed(it won't fit in the safe) and load it in the truck just to shoot it 25 to 50 times. It's not a rifle that you grab going out the door and shoot. All that said, it is awesome to say I own a fifty and have it available when I decide to shoot it more. I just wish it wasn't sixty inches and fourty pounds.( That's what she said.) I couldn't help it. If you want a fifty though, get it. It's like reaching WAAAY out there and and knocking the piss out of something!

Reactions: deersniper

Once again, that's why I love my windrunner. It breaks down to fit in a 36" bag. I'm going to say it's light, but very managable at about 35lbs.

Reactions: Rudy Gonsior