• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 Round Accuracy test.... my new Spartan Rifle

TAC READY

Private
Minuteman
The format has been very nicely standardized at the NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club. Yesterday I took the opportunity to put my new Spartan Precision Rifles 7SAUM to the test. They call it a monthly match, but I don't know many other places where I can put rounds on paper from 200 to 1,000 yards and have someone document each hole in the paper.

The format is pretty much a prone shooting activity, 50 rounds total, with 3 rounds per string of fire and then spotters placed in the target so you can see your effect for those 3 shots. At the end of the day you take your target and score sheet home. So, let's call this a 50 round group for accuracy testing -- its shot within about a 1 hour period from 200 to 1,000 yards.

The rifle I was testing yesterday is chambered in the 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag, which is a fricken marketing disaster and a huge mouthful to spit out so I call it a 7SAUM. The barrel is cut to 20" and the bullets are 180gn Berger VLD flying at 2920fps. Marc, over at Spartan Precision Rifles built the rifle on a McMillan A5 with a Surgeon RSR WSM action.

I sort of knew the rifle was a shooter, about three weeks ago I killed two elk with it (one at 260yds and one at 380yds), but I just didn't really know how accurate it could shoot...I mean, an elk is a huge target, right.

So, truth be told, my 50 round test ended up being a 47 round test as I unintentionally donated 3 nine-ring shots to someone else's target when shooting at the 900yd firing position. Other than that the image below shows my target (blue area is 20" x 30") with 47 holes marked with 3/4" white pasties.

This has got to be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Many thanks to Marc Soulie over Spartan for his dedication to producing amazing machines.

So, if you ever need to put your rifle to the 50 round accuracy test come on down to a NorCal monthly match and see how she holds up -- 3 or 5 round groups just seem silly now. ;-)

7saum_6_nov_11.jpg

Here is a close up of the center of the target (the 10 ring is 6" x 4")

7saum_6_nov_11_center.jpg

Re: 50 Round Accuracy test....

I've always laughed at guys who test their accuracy with 3 or 5 shot groups.

When I want to see what a rifle will <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> do, I never shoot less than 10. Says more about the rifle to me.

I guess you are laughing at a lot of guys.

Lol. I agree with whit. I prefer to save most loads that result in one ragged hole on a 5 shot test group

Thanks David I'm glad you like the rifle. It's amazing that you're only 6.9 mils to a thousand with a 20" barrel.

Marc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks David I'm glad you like the rifle. It's amazing that you're only 6.9 mils to a thousand with a 20" barrel.

Marc </div></div>

The load I worked out has been great in all conditions so far, and yeah 2920fps out of a 20" barrel is pretty damn cool.

Certainly one happy customer,

David

honestly, did you really need to do an accuracy test, or were you just rubbing it in? Those damn Spartan rifles are sick! How's about a photo of the bang stick that punches those neatly-arranged holes? Nice shooting man.

David, that was great shooting yesterday. But you really need to learn how to make that "Cold Shooter Shot"
smile.gif

Maybe you need a smaller 7mm. Like a 7-08!

I can't wait till my factory barrel is shot out and have Marc put custom tube on my Tikka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pthfndr-CA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, that was great shooting yesterday. But you really need to learn how to make that "Cold Shooter Shot"
smile.gif

Maybe you need a smaller 7mm. Like a 7-08!

I can't wait till my factory barrel is shot out and have Marc put custom tube on my Tikka. </div></div>

Yes, that first shot is just so critical! A 1/4" out just doesn't cut it, I will hopefully train my way out of that. But, that's why I say you guys there in NorCal have come up with a great accuracy evaluation for systems and shooters....and its always great to shoot with such a fun group of people.

Rifle pics, well, I'm kinda rough on my rifles so it doesn't look all that pretty, but I'll try to snap a couple of pics this afternoon and post them up, just don't expect a prom-queen.

David

+1 on a great group of guys and the format. I have taken new rifles up there and in one match ended up with everything I needed for my log book other than weather variances. Looking at the horizontal I guess it was blowing as usual.
smile.gif

Damn, looking at your target and pasties its even more impressive. Are you going to take a little off of your 800/1000 yard comeups or do you consider that shooter error?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on a great group of guys and the format. I have taken new rifles up there and in one match ended up with everything I needed for my log book other than weather variances. Looking at the horizontal I guess it was blowing as usual.
smile.gif

Damn, looking at your target and pasties its even more impressive. Are you going to take a little off of your 800/1000 yard comeups or do you consider that shooter error? </div></div>

I'm telling you, that Spartan Rifle is a crusher. On the 800 yard dope, the first three rounds patterned high so I took .10 mil off and she was a hair low, but damn good enough for me. I'll take the 1k dope and call it temperature difference. I had this rifle and load out at the 1k shooting point before my Elk hunt and it was much hotter and my dope for 1k in the heat was 6.8mil, this weekend it was down in the high 40's and the dope I used was 7.1 mil, so I'll chalk it up to temperature difference and be very happy.

The shot to shot consistency with this rifle is what made me almost wet my pants. :)

Only 1 head shot? Seems like a hit in the red in the center of the face should be worth 15!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only 1 head shot? Seems like a hit in the red in the center of the face should be worth 15! </div></div>

We have 3 COFs we rotate through during the year. Sunday's was our COF #3, aka No Shooter Left Behind. Only the CBS on the orange dot is in the head -it's worth 40 points. Everything else is COM. This COF is specifically intended for the new shooters. They can shoot the whole thing and come away with not too many misses. (build their confidence and hook 'em to get them back).

The more experienced shooters use this COF as David did. To test/confirm data/loads.

FWIW, the wind when 1st relay shot (when David did)was about a 1/2 value 12-14 mph coming out of the SW (from our 8 o'clock). The temp at 9 when first shots went down was about 42F. The DA at the start was between -400' and -150' depending on whose meter you looked at. The range is at 200' asl.

Thanks for the explanation! I hope my last pist didn't come off wrong, I was joking and meant NO disrespect. That is some fine shooting, and the matches sound like a lot of fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the explanation! I hope my last pist didn't come off wrong, I was joking and meant NO disrespect. That is some fine shooting, and the matches sound like a lot of fun! </div></div>

No offense taken, I got the humor. :)

That one shot a 1/4" off the little red dot kept me out of the top 10 finishers for this match.

The matches are great and "Pthfndr-CA" is one of the directors that makes the monthly matches happen. We are extremely lucky to have such a dedicated and heads-on-straight group of guys that keep the shooting club out in Sacramento running and growing.

Cheers,
David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always laughed at guys who test their accuracy with 3 or 5 shot groups.

When I want to see what a rifle will <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> do, I never shoot less than 10. Says more about the rifle to me. </div></div>So, when you do load development, say you test 10 different powder charges, and you use 10 shots each. Then, you should have a good idea of where to go with the load, so you test 5 more loads in smaller incrementa, each with a 10 shot group. Finally, you test seating depth, say four different seating depths, each with a ten shot group. Then you confirm your load by shooting two more groups of your chosen seating depth and charge weight, each with a 10 shot group.

And then, beacause we are talking a 7 SAUM, you rebarrel and start over, because your barrel is now shot out.

There is a reason to use 5 shot groups and even 3 shot groups some times.

So how was the barrel doing after shooting 50 rounds in about an hour? And how about the shooter? Are you running a brake?

Reason I ask is I have been considering turning my M70 300wsm hunting rifle into a 7mm wsm light tactical/hunter. I'd love to have a 20" or even 22" and get 2900+ with 180's. I'm only hesitant because I just don't know how fun it would be for a range gun.

Nice shooting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how was the barrel doing after shooting 50 rounds in about an hour? And how about the shooter? Are you running a brake?

Reason I ask is I have been considering turning my M70 300wsm hunting rifle into a 7mm wsm light tactical/hunter. I'd love to have a 20" or even 22" and get 2900+ with 180's. I'm only hesitant because I just don't know how fun it would be for a range gun.

Nice shooting... </div></div>

Yes, definitely running a muzzle brake and it is tamer than a .308. My configuration isn't a light hunter by any stretch of the definition. The barrel was certainly warm, but as you can see from the target, it had no effect on accuracy.

I finally snapped a couple of pics of the rifle, here ya go.

7saum_20inch_1.jpg

7saum_20inch_2.jpg

What reticle in the Premier? I just got one with the gen2XR. The glass is incredible; I think it's nicer (significantly) than my SB 5-25.

However, I'm bummed the reticle doesn't have .2 mil subtensions at the ends of the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What reticle in the Premier? I just got one with the gen2XR. The glass is incredible; I think it's nicer (significantly) than my SB 5-25.

However, I'm bummed the reticle doesn't have .2 mil subtensions at the ends of the reticle. </div></div>

I think it's time to clean the lenses on your S&B. ;-)

I also have the Gen II XR and I have it in my S&B's as well...love that reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatmurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always laughed at guys who test their accuracy with 3 or 5 shot groups.

When I want to see what a rifle will <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> do, I never shoot less than 10. Says more about the rifle to me. </div></div>So, when you do load development, say you test 10 different powder charges, and you use 10 shots each. Then, you should have a good idea of where to go with the load, so you test 5 more loads in smaller incrementa, each with a 10 shot group. Finally, you test seating depth, say four different seating depths, each with a ten shot group. Then you confirm your load by shooting two more groups of your chosen seating depth and charge weight, each with a 10 shot group.

And then, beacause we are talking a 7 SAUM, you rebarrel and start over, because your barrel is now shot out.

There is a reason to use 5 shot groups and even 3 shot groups some times. </div></div>

Errrr...that's only 210 rounds, but your point is understood and I agree with you.

I often times only load one round at a given powder charge until I get to a target velocity. I guess what I originally intended to say was using the 50 round format that the NorCal monthly match provides is a much more telling demonstration of the accuracy of a system than simply a few rounds at only one distance.

Cheers,

thats some fine shooting out to 900 yards... Other than wind you are dead on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: itieknots7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats some fine shooting out to 900 yards... Other than wind you are dead on. </div></div>

Thanks, but the primary reason I posted this up was because this rifle makes it much easier to shoot like this....I've had other rifles that let me shoot accurately, but shooting this rifle is like cheating. :)

The Spartan Rifle guys really produce a hell-of-a-rifle.

Their website doesn't have much on it but I can certainly recommend you get their email address or phone number there if you are thinking about a custom build, they are great to work with.
http://www.SpartanRifles.com

I'm getting more and more requests for 7SAUM chamberings all the time. I'm going try some JLK 180's (B.C. of .735!) to see how they perform.

Marc

Re: 50 Round Accuracy test.... my new Spartan Rifle

I can attest to Tac Ready's shooting skills and Marc's ability to build an accurate rifle. In Oct 2010 three of us went elk hunting and David shot a cow elk perfectly in the back of the head at 545 yards with a similar 7SAUM that Marc had built. Optimum conditions, 1 mph of wind, mild temp plus we had just confirmed dope at a beautiful shooting facility located in Price UT the day before out to 1K.

That shot that David made was only possible because he was shooting a Surgeon Action and a Bartlein Barrel. (Just had to throw that satirical plug in)...LOL!