• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

500,000 jobs could be created

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
Watching the tube the other night ( a rarity anymore ) so I was listening with one ear and playing monopoly with the boy.

Anywho... there was a report on that was saying just how many jobs could be created if college kids who were buying stuff for college would buy only American made stuff. 500,000.

Kinda got me thinking that maybe I should just buy American made stuff.. I make an effort to as it is but maybe I need to try even harder to select only American made products. Then I got to thinking even more.

No more Lapua Brass or scenar bullets.. back to sierra and Winchester.

Every little bit helps...right?

thoughts? Am I way off base?

Re: 500,000 jobs could be created

I don't have the budget to only buy American. In fact a lot of my chemical suppliers are in China and you can't even buy many American made chemicals as they simply aren't made here. Stateside labor/material costs are simply too high to compete with low labor/material costs which is why so many shop Walmart/Target. The last 3 GM cars I've bought, from the factory, have been complete pieces of shit and that was during the boom, i.e. circa 2000. I think those 500,000 jobs are safe in other countries.

That 500K is just a start. Comsider the million or so jobs created if we were allowed to produce our own oil.

There is talk of selling Wyoming coal to China. It that is allowed to go through, again, millions of jobs, when you consider it would require additional rail lines the west coast to move the coal. Plus new coal hoppers and other rail assets needed. We certainly have enough coal.

As for Lapua Brass, I can't shoot good enough to tell the difference between Lapua and winchester anyway, so I'll stick to Winchester regardless.

I buy what I can that is made in America. I use win or fed brass and 175smks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have the budget to only buy American. Stateside labor/material costs are simply too high to compete with low labor/material costs which is why so many shop Walmart/Target. The last 3 GM cars I've bought, from the factory, have been complete pieces of shit and that was during the boom, i.e. circa 2000. I think those 500,000 jobs are safe in other countries. </div></div>

I used to think that way too... I've found a way to keep the money here. I may not buy as much "stuff" anymore and keep things to needs and not as many "wants".

IN the end it may be a very minor insignificant difference on my part but I feel better knowing at least I'm keeping the money here.
We also purchase as many items as we can for the business we manage at "local" "mom and Pop" stores within our community.

Image if the majority of people did this simple thing.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IN the end it may be a very minor insignificant difference on my part but I feel better knowing at least I'm keeping the money here.
We also purchase as many items as we can for the business we manage at "local" "mom and Pop" stores within our community.

Image if the majority of people did this simple thing..... </div></div>

I totally agree but you are one of the very few who don't mind going out of their way and spending more. I don't think most people even think about the implications of their shopping habits and even if they did, they would opt to save money rather than shop on a Principle. You can see this effect in every town where there's a Walmart. All of the small mom & pops die or become hyper specialized. I'm in the chemical business and there are a lot of chems and lab supplies that I can't even get stateside because they're not even made here anymore and I bet that would apply to a lot of other industries as well.

I think it's just that other counties are catching up and being more competitive instead of our economy dieing, perhaps this why we have and will continue to see a high unemployment rate here.

I ALWAYS try to do it if possible. The VIZIO tv's for example are a great product and made here. Ford gets my car buying buiss as they took no bail out money
Sierra and Federal for bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 500K is just a start. Comsider the million or so jobs created if we were allowed to produce our own oil.

There is talk of selling Wyoming coal to China. It that is allowed to go through, again, millions of jobs, when you consider it would require additional rail lines the west coast to move the coal. Plus new coal hoppers and other rail assets needed. We certainly have enough coal.

As for Lapua Brass, I can't shoot good enough to tell the difference between Lapua and winchester anyway, so I'll stick to Winchester regardless.</div></div>
Ding Ding Ding Best answer. All that money being CREATED right here spent right here with money coming from other countries coming here. Drives me nuts at how the whole economy would turn around with $1.00 a gallon gas.

My wife and I tried to only buy American for a while and found it a pretty tough task. It's shocking how difficult some products are to find.

It's a worthy endeavor though.

Try finding an american made bath towel nowadays.. Used to buy martex, fieldcrest.. All made in china or india now.. Sad..

Ch

It dawned on me that there are how many members here... a bunch...

if we all bought American supplies to pursue our passion it might make a very slight difference. Especially if we attempted to spread the effort to other shooting enthusiasts.

John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (made in JAPAN) for 6 am .. While his coffeepot (made in CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (made in HONG KONG) He put on a dress shirt (made in SRI LANKA),designer jeans (made in SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (made in KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (made in INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (made in MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (made in TAIWAN) to the radio (made in INDIA) he got in his car (made in GERMANY) filled it with GAS (from Saudi Arabia)

<span style="color: #FF0000">and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN job.</span>

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA),John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (made in BRAZIL), poured himself a glass of wine (made in FRANCE) and turned on his TV (made in INDONESIA)

<span style="color: #FF0000">and wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA. </span>

Reduce the cost of books from $200/book for the 5 classes a semester college kids take and they'd probably be able to spend a bit more.

Welcome to the club, glad to see others are proud employers of their fellow countrymen as well.

I'm a die hard, "Buy American if able and sensible." The new "Made In America" country song comes to mind...

Orange Juice - Floridas Natural (only 100% American and they're proud of it)
Shoes - New Balance (Last American sneaker factory)
Truck - Ford Explorer from Kentucky
Guns & Ammo - My only foreign stuff is collectible milsurps, all modern toys are American
Beer - Sam Adams or Coors

Lucky Brand Jeans
and

Diamond Gusset Jeans
Everyone needs jeans....

You also have to be careful of the "Buy American Act" crap. It does NOT mean that what you buy was made in America. It means it falls under these rules:

https://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%2025_1.html

Look at how foreign states many are "designated countries" which fall under the protection of the BAA. This means a company can buy solely from Aruba, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (known in the World Trade Organization as “the Separate Customs Territory of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu” (Chinese Taipei)) or United Kingdom and still claim that the company follows the Buy American Act.

^Reason 3,289,398 I don't trust politicians^

I'm talking the "made in USA" tag... maybe I need to research exactly what that means..

trouble is I rarely have time. To day is a long over due ( 3 months ) office day for me ..( hehe but I keep checking "the hide" )

Maybe we need to start a sticky thread that has lists of American made products that we can support.

Just kinda got me thinking that there has gotta be more we all can do .. if even it is is only baby steps. The shooting industry is huge. We have a lot of members here who buy A LOT of supplies, accessories, optics, etc. What if we kept as much of that money here in the US of A as we can?

You can't even believe "Made in USA" tag either. I was talking to a coworker and he told me of a town in Japan called "Usa". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa,_Ōita

That city supposedly gets a lot of Japanese good routed through it so that it can get the tag "Made in USA". I guess the only tag we can believe is "Made in U.S.A." with the periods.... but I'm skeptical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have the budget to only buy American. Stateside labor/material costs are simply too high to compete with low labor/material costs which is why so many shop Walmart/Target. The last 3 GM cars I've bought, from the factory, have been complete pieces of shit and that was during the boom, i.e. circa 2000. I think those 500,000 jobs are safe in other countries. </div></div>

I used to think that way too... I've found a way to keep the money here. I may not buy as much "stuff" anymore and keep things to needs and not as many "wants".

Image if the majority of people did this simple thing.....</div></div>

Exactly, its amazing how much stuff you don't really need. I buy everything made here when possible. When it is not possible I seek out countries that the US has as an ally or has conquered in a war or has been engaged in a police action. Being a consumer of those countries is the sure path to our economic slavery of them.

Oh and those 500,000 jobs here equal something like 3 million elsewhere in the developing markets.

The wife and I make it a point to buy products manufactured or at least assembled in our country and virtually refuse to buy Chinese crap. It probably costs us an extra 8 or 9 hundred dollars a year, but:
We don't worry about toxic chemicals and heavy metals leaching into our food from Chinese dinnerware (much of which contains cadmium and lead).
We aren't nearly as concerned with the safety of foods produced domestically.
We know that we are helping keep our fellow citizens employed.
The quality of U.S.A.-made products are generally higher than imports (yes, I know there <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> exceptions to that statement).

If the majority of the sheeple in this country would recognize the power of boycott and refuse to buy Chinese manufactured crap for just one month, and let the companies who import said garbage know <span style="font-style: italic">why</span>, we could encourage them to bring jobs and manufacturing back to America. Six months would force them to do so or go bankrupt.

Heck, the other day I went to Home Depot for a drywall square. They had two to choose from- one made in China, one made here. I bought the U.S.-made one for an extra three dollars, and made it a point to let the management know that I appreciated the domestic product's superior quality and asked why they even bothered to stock the Chinese one with such a minor difference in price point.

Buy American and speak up both when you do or when you can't. If retailers see a trend towards folks requesting and buying something specific, they often respond by passing the requests up the chain. You <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> make a difference.

I read where all the money we spend on "made in China" only amounts to the same as 2% of our GDP and for every dollar we spend on "made in China", 45 cents goes to an American company, Walmart etc. Basically saying all the fear China is propaganda. I a) wish i could find it and b) wish I had the time to research it.

Sam Walton would be ashamed to see what's happened to the company IMO. Anybody here remember when Wal-Marts had signs stating what products were "Made in the USA"? It's pure greed from corporate America.

The subject is of interest to me because we have a thread and a group buy running lately for Rem. 700 bottom metal from Australia. I'm still torn on that. If you save 150 bucks in this economy, you can put it to use for your family. But an American's business just lost 300.

It is hard to buy American made products. They are around if you look. I did have to internet order American made cookware because the giant chain store doesn't even stock them. There's definitely something wrong with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read where all the money we spend on "made in China" only amounts to the same as 2% of our GDP and for every dollar we spend on "made in China", 45 cents goes to an American company, Walmart etc. Basically saying all the fear China is propaganda. I a) wish i could find it and b) wish I had the time to research it.
</div></div>

Wouldn't it be cool if 100 cents of that dollar went to an American company?

And poisonous crap coming out of China is <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> propaganda. How many toys, drinking glasses, etc. have been recalled in the last few years because of heavy metal problems? How many people's pets have died due to the toxic additives from China? How many homes are uninhabitable because of drywall from China?

That's not fear-mongering...it is a whole lot of very solid reasons not to spend my hard-earned money on inferior and potentially life-theratening products from a country that wants to own us. You go ahead and rationalize buying junk from Wally World however you want...just don't say a word if your job or that of someone you know gets outsourced or eliminated due to an inability to compete.

I needed wiper blades this year... went to wally world and they were all made "over there"! I found this upsetting and decided to look around. I went to every auto parts retailer in my area and no one had a "Made In The USA" wiper blade. It wasn’t but 10 years ago that I was making deliveries to a local business that made blades so I decided to look them up. Guess what... they are no more, just an empty building rotting into the ground!

its nearly impossible to buy only american made products any more. i think we all know who is at fault

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I needed wiper blades this year... went to wally world and they were all made "over there"! I found this upsetting and decided to look around. I went to every auto parts retailer in my area and no one had a "Made In The USA" wiper blade. It wasn’t but 10 years ago that I was making deliveries to a local business that made blades so I decided to look them up. Guess what... they are no more, just an empty building rotting into the ground!

</div></div>

Goodyear Assurance wipers are made in USA. Costco sells them...very reasonable and work well.

Thanks, I will have to see if I can locate that brand. We dont have any costco's in my area, but goodyear "should" be an easy find.

You want a sad statistic? The Toyota Camry will be the most American made car in the 2012 model year for all cars sold in the US. Somewhere around 88% made in America while all the AMERICAN car manufacturers are building their cars in Mexico.

i don't think that this is surprising - you want to buy cheap(er), so the producer goes for cheap(er) labour to increase/maintain profit. i mean - on one hand you want to buy locally, but then noone is (constantly) be willing to pay the prices that a local (yourself included) wants to earn.

would you be willing to produce a single towel, when customers would compare your towel with the 3 dollar import from china? because that guy in china is happy to 'earn' a bowl of rice per day and have roof over his head at night.

in that regard - most first-world countries are 'paper pushers'. with respect to 'made in x' - where there is nothing produced, there is nothing to buy.

taken from the u.s.a. department of labor (for details see: http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/cm20030124ar02p1.htm)

- At the turn of the century, about 38 percent of the labor force worked on farms. By the end of the century, that figure was less than 3 percent.

- Likewise, the percent who worked in goods-producing industries, such as mining, manufacturing, and construction, decreased from 31 to 19 percent of the workforce.

- Service industries were the growth sector during the 20th century, jumping from 31 percent3 of all workers in 1900 to 78 percent4 in 1999.

i guess that says it all.

I try to buy "Made in the U.S.A" whenever possible. I try to buy locally produced products when available, especially food items. The things made on our soil, by our people are usually much better quality. I've always been happy with my purchases when I actually get to speak with the person or business owner who actually built the product I'm buying.

On the other end of it, companies like Wal-Mart increase the purchasing power of the poor. Entering into a supply agreement with Wal-Mart can become your worst nightmare if it makes up a large percentage of your sales. They essentially tell you how to run your company (read about Rubbermaid and Wal-Mart in the 90's).

In turn, they allow the average family to get more out of their dollar.

A lot of it are cultural problems. Americans want high wages, but pay as little as possible for goods. They gladly sacrifice quality for a lower price. We're "too good" for a lot of jobs. Picking fruit and vegetables in a field all day is beneath most Americans, yet they can't figure out why a mexican will sneak across the border to work in the fields for much less.

But just how do you compete with someone who is all too happy to work 12 hours a day for only a few dollars?

How much would you like to bet that half those jobs would wind up being union and we'd get more fricking liberals voted into office?

Maybe I'm just a pessimist.