• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

500 yards pictures and video

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Was a great day today so i figured i would to some shooting.....

The picture of the target is actually upside down from when shot, it was on the edge of a 50 foot cliff so i pulled it back to take some pictures

Range.jpg

Target.jpg

And here are a few videos, turn your volume up, its hard to hear the hits..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4pLnt_9zg

500, 275, 213 yard video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuFF7dmTN8

Re: 500 yards pictures and video

That's awesome Clayne. Is that some kind of giant saw blade you're shooting or did you cut those slits in edge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome Clayne. Is that some kind of giant saw blade you're shooting or did you cut those slits in edge? </div></div>

its a concrete saw blade

That's impossible, -I've read on forums all over the interwebs by armchair experts that a .22LR round simply drops on the ground past 50 yards :)

In the photo of the target/blade, how deep are those bullet holes in the wood to the right side of the blade? -do they go all the way through?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's impossible, -I've read on forums all over the interwebs by armchair experts that a .22LR round simply drops on the ground past 50 yards :)

In the photo of the target/blade, how deep are those bullet holes in the wood to the right side of the blade? -do they go all the way through? </div></div>

You know what, i didn't even look to see. i shall check it out next time i go out there and ill let you know

Great shooting! If you don't mind the question, what ammo were you using? Also how long is the barrel? Thanks, BILL

^+1

and how much elevation???

Ive shot out to 300 but I never could keep a consistent group. I bet my savage holds a 4 MOA group at 300.

barrel is 16.2 inches, Federal Champion 36gr 525 round value pack

elevation?

I am using a mildot scope 2.5x10-42mm. My zero is at 50 yards with my top dot. and use dots to shoot from 50 to 275, for shooting 500 i back the scope off to 7 power and hold it in the very bottom of the sight picture.

it looks something like this

pointofaim.jpg

It is threads like this that challenge me and get me pumped up! Excellent shooting.

Alright, Alright. I have no doubt that you maybe a crack shot. Hell, there are tons of people on this site who are leaps and bounds beyond my long range abilities. But, 500 yards!! I dont even believe a 22LR round can even travel that far no matter what angle you lob that round at........ Ill say it since no one else will... B.S.!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickbd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, Alright. I have no doubt that you maybe a crack shot. Hell, there are tons of people on this site who are leaps and bounds beyond my long range abilities. But, 500 yards!! I dont even believe a 22LR round can even travel that far no matter what angle you lob that round at........ Ill say it since no one else will... B.S.!</div></div>

JBM says 679 fps and 60MOA of drop at sea level, and a little elevation makes a difference. I've shot my VQ 22lr at 200 with an Aimpoint Micro and made hits whenever I wanted. So it seems reasonable enough to me, especially given the number of flyers/misses.

Great shooting!!! Keep it up and you will be shooting 1k in no time (except I think you might need to purchase those m203 grenade launcher sights to add to the side of the rifle to compensate)...

@halcyon575
And I couldn't agree more!

Shoot straight,
Josh

Nice shooting. My buddy and I are going to try this at 600 yards on Friday.

I wish I had a nearby location like that to shoot! 425 is as far as I've put a target out there but LR .22 is more fun (to me) than any other shooting.

HELLO? Brickbd have you ever read the warning on a 22cal. box? I sez DANGEROUS from 1 to 1 1/2 miles. They do not put that warning on there because its a lie!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickbd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, Alright. I have no doubt that you maybe a crack shot. Hell, there are tons of people on this site who are leaps and bounds beyond my long range abilities. But, 500 yards!! I dont even believe a 22LR round can even travel that far no matter what angle you lob that round at........ Ill say it since no one else will... B.S.!</div></div>

Somebody had to say that. Thanks for getting it out of the way.
smile.gif

To the original poster: Excellent shooting! Hope to see more 500 yard videos soon. Make sure you get some good footage of both shooter and target impact area so as not to be written off as a BS artist. Any time you make a vid of shooting the .22 LR beyond 200 yards (used to be 100)and make any kind of repeatable hits, someone will call BS. Give it five years and as more people start doing this the skeptics will quite down.

I've not had mine out beyond 300 yards, so kudos!

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. My buddy and I are going to try this at 600 yards on Friday. </div></div>

Cool let me know how it goes, once I shoot 10 out of 10 on target I will move out to 600

Great video that looks like a blast. I need to try that one day. My range has 22 shoots out to 200yds which is fun but no that challenging. No good places to shoot around me.

After watching this and seeing the debates at the different forums I want to get a Badger 22moa rail and a set of burris sig zee rings (20moa) and mount it on my Kidd/Dar22 22lr. Would have 95.5 moa of up on the scope adjustment then. Would make for a fun day at the range trying to hit the gong at 500m.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After watching this and seeing the debates at the different forums I want to get a Badger 22moa rail and a set of burris sig zee rings (20moa) and mount it on my Kidd/Dar22 22lr. Would have 95.5 moa of up on the scope adjustment then. Would make for a fun day at the range trying to hit the gong at 500m. </div></div>

I am going to do this to my rifle. I think i could get away with zee 20moa front and back.... Im 6 mills away from holding dead on

I use a 100 yard zero with me .17 and count down 5 mil dots for 400 yards. Hold a little extra over and I was hitting 500. Its definitely a challenge you will have fun doing. I used a ballistic calculator and "if" I had a 600 yard zero in my scope with the .17, 5 mil dots down would be a 630 yard zero. Talk about artillery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a 100 yard zero with me .17 and count down 5 mil dots for 400 yards. Hold a little extra over and I was hitting 500. Its definitely a challenge you will have fun doing. I used a ballistic calculator and "if" I had a 600 yard zero in my scope with the .17, 5 mil dots down would be a 630 yard zero. Talk about artillery. </div></div>

I had a .17 a few years back, savage shooting hornady 17gr and at 300 yards the bullets were tumbling...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After watching this and seeing the debates at the different forums I want to get a Badger 22moa rail and a set of burris sig zee rings (20moa) and mount it on my Kidd/Dar22 22lr. Would have 95.5 moa of up on the scope adjustment then. Would make for a fun day at the range trying to hit the gong at 500m. </div></div>

I am going to do this to my rifle. I think i could get away with zee 20moa front and back.... Im 6 mills away from holding dead on
</div></div>

That would get you there! I need more but have a hard time finding a 40+ moa rail riser. The Badger 22moa rail seems to be good fit to the med zee rings for me.

Clayne_b, the .17 bullets would make it to 500 yards no problem and hold a nice group at 400 yards they would not break paint on steel at 500. You could hear them hitting it, but no marks were left. Below is my 400 yard target. The two shots on the right side of the steel in the middle were my first two, then I adjusted left and hit the 3" bullseye with my third shot. It was a great morning to shoot with no wind in the valley in GA.

100_0750.jpg

Thanks. Savage makes shooting groups like that pretty easy. Taking it out to 400 yards tomorrow on a gong.

My neighbor and i went out today, he recently got a savage mark II TR .22lr i took a few shots with his today at 500 yards. told him the dope and he hit it 4 out of 5 shots.... very good i would say, this is his first gun and is just getting into shooting. Good thing he isn't married or his wife would think im a bad influence on him. HA HA

I am seriously impressed with the 500 yard run. I've only done 300 myself, and I had people I know calling BS on even that. There's no way they'd believe 500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanilla Gorilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am seriously impressed with the 500 yard run. I've only done 300 myself, and I had people I know calling BS on even that. There's no way they'd believe 500. </div></div>

Yeah ive had alot of people call bs on another forum. oh well....

You get the satisfaction of knowing you did it and that the other people are wrong.

Clayne, Just smile and let them think what they may. We still get that everytime we mention what we do with our lil guns. Even after seeing videos like yours some still won't believe it.

Ain't it fun though when you get the chance to do it in front of the nonbelievers, but of course then it was just a lucky shot
smile.gif

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ain't it fun though when you get the chance to do it in front of the nonbelievers, but of course then it was just a lucky shot
smile.gif

</div></div>

At 425 yards, I can set my Sako Quad up on bipod and beanbag and it will hit an 18" gong 10/10 - no luck involved, just wide smiles.

According to JBM, i see about 85 MOA to 500 at 4500 ft, SAP, 50 zero. If u crank the optic down to 4x that will make the mil unit ~9 MOA and if u zero at 50 yds. with the upper dot then the bottom post (9 "mils") would be ~80 MOA. U oughtta' try it see if the "calcs" work correctly. Be sure and establish the 50-yd. top dot zero at 4x, if your mounts and turret will allow it.

Another way to do it would be to note where the X-hair axis is when the bullets hit the steel, then crank the scope power down until the lower dot (or post tip) intersects with the steel tgt. whilst keeping the center x-hair on the abovementioned reference point--bet it'll be very close to 4x.

What'd be really neat is to have some of the naysayers with you. If u have the drop table printed out and with u, u could calc. all this stuff, and come real close on the 1st shot. Subtension is ~inversely proportional to scope power, so the "mil holds" can be calcd. with a calculator very easily to match your drop.

I basically did this on the 250-yd. coke can thread on the second shot with a custom Ruger Charger using ~5 MOA addtl. turret comeup beyond the Rapid Reticle's ~20 MOA lower stadia line. That shot made me happy the rest of the day...and then some. Hey, if it makes u happy then DO IT! Well done BTW!

Winchester 52 at 400 yards
Yesterday I figured I would see how my 52 would do out to 400 yards.

With the 24'' barrel using Wolf match ammo and a total of 48 moa of elevation with the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 scope set on 4.5 power and using the last mildot in light winds, hits at 400 yards were very consistent. Shooting anything from steel to stones.

With the added shims in the back of the scope ring, my elevation is 4 moa from being bottomed out. I now have 48 moa of come ups.

5mildots from center at 4.5X would be ~11.2mil which equals ~ 38moa + 48moa = ~86moa ~30FT of drop

It was a good day at the range today! Gotta love the 52's.

Then, shot this 20 shot group at 50 yards.
3'' shoot-n-c

52Win20shotsat50yards11-22-11.jpg

Shooter65, those Winchester 52 rifles are awesome. I have a 52C as seen below. I don't think that scope would get that much adjustment out of it, but it is darn accurate at 100 yards. Sadly I don't have anywhere near me to shoot out past 100 yards with it. My dad used it in college for .22 competitions.

IMG_3408.jpg

THAT is amazing!! All of you who posted pictures and stories I'm incredibly impressed with! I used to think shooting 100yds with a .22 was near impossible with any consistency. Once I got my modern 22 though I've stretched it out to 250 so far shooting at a 2' plate and getting hits everytime (obviously lol). I even had my 10 year old niece getting 8/10 hits at 250! Pretty cool what a 3 cent round can do out of these rifles! Keep them coming guys!

I haven't said it on the forums yet.... because i want to get it on video, less people call bs that way. anyways. I have a spot that i can hike to behind where i shoot from that gives me another 100 yards or so, I have not ranged it yet. but according to google earth its right at 100 yards, so that puts the target at 600 yards. I have hit it from there. It was cold and windy, i took 20 shots at it and hit it 6 times. I will be reporting back on how it goes when i try it again.

When i shoot at 500 yards i am on 10x, in order to get hits at 600 I had to back my power off to 8x and hold in the very bottom of the scope. so its ALOT more drop. I cant wait to get my variable gantry mount and give it a try!