• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing $500 youth bolt gun recommendation?

brianinaustin

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2006
ATX
Hello friends. My 12yo has been deer hunting a couple of years now. From a blind, he likes shooting a 6.5 Grendel AR, but we need a bolt action that's a little lighter, and that he could walk with.

What I think I know I want.... 6.5 Creedmoor, cutting the bbl to around 16-18", and adding a lightweight 7" suppressor to moderate noise/recoil.

So, which gun?

A buddy recommended the Ruger American, but I'm not fond of the tool marks/zipper sound the bolt makes.

Could go with a Rem 700 ADL. That was my first.

Saw a Savage Axis 2 XP SS that looked alright. Removable stock spacer is a plus. Https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/savage-axis-ii-xp-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-with-scope

Or this similar stainless Savage Arms 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sa...dmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5058196

This Tikka looks nice... https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tikka-t3x-lite-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5023580

Y'all see a clear winner? Or is the one I've overlooked? Howa?

Thanks for any input!

Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel is an option.

Or the sure bet is to buy the Ruger Predator, cut and thread the barrel, and send the bolt off to be fluted and microslicked. Zipper sound gone. If you don’t like the trigger buy a Timney.

I have the Ruger Ranch and polished the bolt. Zipper sound gone. Now that hunting season is over I am going to send the bolt off to be fluted and microslicked.

My personal taste = I hate Savage rifles = clunky and ugly.

Buy the howa mini action grendel and throw it into the new oryx chassis or the tikka. you cant go wrong with a tikka

Reactions: Mullhead
20181008_071350.jpg

My son votes Ruger American.

That Howa mini looks nice. Some of our hunts require 243 or bigger... that's the only reason I'd not go Grendel again.

I’ll toss in another +1 for the Predator edition Ruger American Rifle. A Magpul stock, 3-15 optic, and can turn it into a 10lb do all rifle. My lady has one for both hunting and range shooting out to 1000y regularly. Her’s shot 140gr Hornady American Gunner and ELD Match factory ammo sub-3/4” within the first 50 rounds.

Alright, alright... I'll give the RAP another chance. Any argument for or against the blued vs stainless?

Tikka t3x in any caliber you choose. I have a t3 light in 243 with tikka rings and leupold vx-2 I'd consider parting with if you intrested. Shoot me a PM

Glad you went with the RAP. I owned one and regret selling it. Everybody says they don't like the zipper sound but who the f$%k cares considering it shoots very well for the price lol.

For scope, consider a weaver 3-10x40 that natchez has for 200 bucks if you want to stay budget friendly or a vortex diamondback for 339.99 i believe. These vortex scopes are FFP feature rich budget options.

This is also a good option by vortex...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex...WtFnmJtTvnDYJYnXdOfZfxuGSqFO567saAvG2EALw_wcB

Just don't get it from that website. Contact one of the sniper's hide vendors and they will make you an incredible deal.

Last edited:
i have a single shot anschutz 22. while a great gun, you'll spend over a grand with no scope. they need a scope. but, any praire dog who shows me a dime sized eye and head at 100 yards or less has a 1% chance of survival. ken, go with the 243 now. they are a pussycat and he'll feel like a big boy. make sure you cut the stock down to his size. and, maybe, install a quality shoulder pad. i've done this a couple times (I used a 6mm) with excellent success.

which ever gun you do get him will be a great present for him. then, bring him out to gillette and we'll shoot something. prarie dogs, coyotes, antelope.....

Smokey mountain Gun Store has some pretty fine rifles for under $400 right now. They aren’t the softest shooting but Toss a cheap(ish) break on the end and your still under $500. If you have a can I wouldn’t worry one bit about recoil since these are relatively light guns. I would also recommend the Ruger American Predator or Ruger American Ranch. I own both and they are dam fine guns and light enough to carry. I know the zip noise you are referring to but after use it goes away. The action really smooths up after use. I have a Tikka CTR man what a fine rifles. Hands down if you can spend more go Tikka.

$399 Savage 10PC https://www.smga.com/savage/mod-10p...il&utm_term=0_fd07762208-7d0dde2dc0-360612213

$369 savage 6.5 Creedmoor
https://www.smga.com/savage/mod-10-...il&utm_term=0_fd07762208-7d0dde2dc0-360612213

Sorry one last thing. If you are into buying local I completely understand, but online is going to get you more rifle for your budget.

Remington made a youth M700 for many years; not sure if they still do.

I've got a vintage 722 w a shortened LOP in 257 Roberts with a 4x steel Weaver on top that would be awesome - PM me if interested. It's been sitting and needs a new home. Dies/ammo/brass/projectiles included.

Thanks for the input and offers. So with all the love for the RAP, and my love for the 700, I picked up both. Not sure which we'll keep, but we'll start with some range time, and go from there.

20190301_131215.jpg

There are some nice rifles for less than the cost of these two, but, it's for science.

I'll start a new thread once I can get these to range. Thanks again for all the expert (and non-expert) advice.

My son is only 5 but I picked up a tikka t3 compact in 7-08 for when he is a little older to hunt with.
Has a 20" barrel and is a freakin laser.
Awesome little rifle

My buddy has this and it shoots very well.

!

Find a tikka on sale or used. My .260 with handloads(never tried factory) shoots 1/4” and weighs 6 pounds, roughly. Creedmoor is available, but prob harder to find used.

Get a set of talley rings snd your glass of choice and let it eat.

i have a single shot anschutz 22. while a great gun, you'll spend over a grand with no scope. they need a scope. but, any praire dog who shows me a dime sized eye and head at 100 yards or less has a 1% chance of survival. ken, go with the 243 now. they are a pussycat and he'll feel like a big boy. make sure you cut the stock down to his size. and, maybe, install a quality shoulder pad. i've done this a couple times (I used a 6mm) with excellent success.

which ever gun you do get him will be a great present for him. then, bring him out to gillette and we'll shoot something. prarie dogs, coyotes, antelope.....

In that price range a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 should work nicely. There are really good deals sometimes on Howa's if you look a bit its possible you can find one in a chassis for around that or a few hundred more.

Reactions: Jgunner
A year later, the Ruger has taken two deer, and the Remington just got scoped. Decided to make one the heavier, box blind gun, and the other a hiker. Thanks for sharing advice, experiences. It took me a minute to find this thread. When I did, the title made me chuckle.
20200222_163840.jpg
20191214_181322.jpg

Reactions: 260284
congratulations to your son. These are the memories people don't forget. My 10 y/o daughter shot her first deer this last season. I don't know who was more excited. Still remember my first deer with my dad like it was yesterday. He has always been my best hunting partner. I am hoping my daughter will hang onto the sport like I did.

Hello friends. My 12yo has been deer hunting a couple of years now. From a blind, he likes shooting a 6.5 Grendel AR, but we need a bolt action that's a little lighter, and that he could walk with.

What I think I know I want.... 6.5 Creedmoor, cutting the bbl to around 16-18", and adding a lightweight 7" suppressor to moderate noise/recoil.

So, which gun?

A buddy recommended the Ruger American, but I'm not fond of the tool marks/zipper sound the bolt makes.

Could go with a Rem 700 ADL. That was my first.

Saw a Savage Axis 2 XP SS that looked alright. Removable stock spacer is a plus. Https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/savage-axis-ii-xp-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-with-scope

Or this similar stainless Savage Arms 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sa...dmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5058196

This Tikka looks nice... https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tikka-t3x-lite-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5023580

Y'all see a clear winner? Or is the one I've overlooked? Howa?

Thanks for any input!
Tikka's are nice and I would say the predator would be the way to go for rugers. If you take a fine grit compound and run the bolt while your watching something you'll take that away. Don't let it get on the bolt face

Ruger just came out with the American Ranch Rifle in 6.5 Grendel. It‘s tiny! I’ve been saying for years that they needed to do one of these and hopefully they’ll do one in a youth stock.