• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 500yrd group help please

jhedg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
took the 300wm out for my first mil/mil exsperance, and I think I am going to like it better then the MOA I used to use. Well anyways I dont have a target to show you so I hope you can understand. Here goes. Ranged the target/w a LRF @ 507yds. Chroned loads as follows. 210vld/w IMR 4350. 215m
2887fps,2877,2895,2885,2900,2880. Zeroed @100yds. First shot dialed 2.3mils(hit 1.5" left of bullseye.) Then it started to go south literaly. next 4 shots a nice cluster of about 2.5", but about 3.5" lower then the last shot. next shot 3" lower, next shot right next to(1") the last one. Next shot 4" lower, next shot 3" lower, the vertical was really screwie, the windage if I was to move them all together, probably no more then 2.5". Maybe a new powder is in order

Re: 500yrd group help please

you wrote, first shot dialed 2.3mils(hit 1.5" left of bullseye). 2.3mil is about 40in at 500y, 1.5" is about 18 inches. Im alittle confused. Have you taken the time to develop the loads in your gun, ocw ? If you groups are moving around like that, its either improper load devolpment, or a gun issue, even shooter error.

Yes I did, l posted my chronoed loads. I don't understand what you mean 18". The hit was 1.5", not 1.5 mils to the left of a 2" bullseye. My 100yrd testing was about .3 to.4 group(5 shots) it could be me I guess., but I am fairly ok at this shootem thing

vertical stringing indicates either your ES is a huge swing on your load, or your breathing is not good. Also try testing your load @ 300 and see what it does, 100 yds hides to many potential flaws in the load. Also what scope are you using? And have you checked to make sure that the base and rings are torqued to spec?

Your action to stock screws tight?
+1 on checking the scope mounts/base.

Head wind or tail wind will move it vertical also...

no I dont thing so, a few things I forgot to mention, was I was shooting off a drag bag/w a 18 degree up slope(per Droid), barrel was cold when I started actually 0 wind as per my meter, thats probably why my windage was not bad

no I dont thing so, a few things I forgot to mention, was I was shooting off a drag bag/w a 18 degree up slope(per Droid), barrel was cold when I started actually 0 wind as per my meter, thats probably why my windage was not bad

I would agree with the vertical stringing being a load issue. While my case is slightly different, I was shooting 7.62 with 4 different types of 168 gr match and between the rounds i had that stringing affect as well. Went to just one type (FGMM) and they grouped extremely well without stringing.

I did notice that as the barrel heated up there was a significant variation in poa/poi. That is something to look into. thats all I can offer