• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50cal BMG reloading press what should I buy?

sunnysideauto

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
Portlnd oregon
I was looking into maybe buying a Lee 50cal BMG press with dies off ebay. Ore should O blow a whole $600 on a horndy or RCBS. What would be my best choice thanks.
John Chttp

Re: 50cal BMG reloading press what should I buy?

Would vote for the RCBS. The handle is longer making it easier to resize

Buy once, cry once! I have had the RCBS for years and many thousand of reload. The Hornady and RCBS are basically the same press. You won't go wrong with either one!

Terry

My broke ass could only afford the lee 50bmg kit and so far it has worked fine (100 or so reloads) knock on wood! Results have been good downrange too!

Having loaded 50BMG for 15 or so years. Buy the RCBS. The Lee will work,but won't accept the better dies made by CH-4D or M2.

If you are loading even close to match ammo-spent the extra loot and get the RCBS. Seriously.Try to resize some fired brass in a Lee press that had been fired in an M2 Browning, chances are you will break the casting. You want a press that can accept 1 1/2" dies. The leverage on the RCBS makes it more than worth the price.

If you shoot pulled military projectiles-you SHOULD resize them to 5.095" and without the leverage you will bust your ass-not to mention no one makes a resize die to fit the Lee.

If you think the press is expensive-just wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having loaded 50BMG for 15 or so years. Buy the RCBS. The Lee will work,but won't accept the better dies made by CH-4D or M2.

If you are loading even close to match ammo-spent the extra loot and get the RCBS. Seriously.Try to resize some fired brass in a Lee press that had been fired in an M2 Browning, chances are you will break the casting. You want a press that can accept 1 1/2" dies. The leverage on the RCBS makes it more than worth the price.

If you shoot pulled military projectiles-you SHOULD resize them to 5.095" and without the leverage you will bust your ass-not to mention no one makes a resize die to fit the Lee.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">If you think the press is expensive-just wait.</span></span> </div></div>

1+. One pound of powder just doesn't seem to go that far right Lt.? In all seriousness, the bullet resizer is strongly recommended if you are shooting the military surplus pulled projos. The extra long leverage is worth the money.

The new Dillon 50BMG press if you can swing it!

I'm with Lt. Arclight. The RCBS is the way to go. Had mine for close to 15 years (Arclight is still in the lead). Also take a lesson from me,bolt your bench to the wall now! The long handle on the RCBS has a lot more leverage than you think!!

Your going to get about 27 rounds per pound depending on powder and load.

For the price of one Dillon, last I heard was about 1K, you can almost get two of the RCBS. I have the RCBS. She may not be as pretty, or fancy as the Dillon, but she performs everytime without fails.

I know where you can pick up a Hollywood like this one, and no I am not going to sell mine I like it way to much.
DSC07463.jpg

I think I would have to sell one of my kidneys to afford that. LOL. How much does that thing go for now a day? the price of a small car? not to mention the "wait"?

I have the Hornady Press kit.

The Kit came with a Lock-N-Load adapter. Here is what I like about the Hornady.

The Lock-N-Load feature allows you to quickly change out from the shell holder to the Ram-Prime on the Ram.
Also, after you decap/resize, and you remove the die, you then install the adapter and the Lock-N-Load shell holder just twists into the adapter at the top of the press.
When you are ready to charge the case, what I do is I have a Lock_n-Load bushing on my Hornady 50 BMG Powder measure and I just twist it into the top of the press and charge my cases one at a time
with the powder measure mounted on the top of the press.
I also leave it there in the press for storage/stowage instead of putting it away somewhere else or having it permanently mounted to the bench. Of course you wouldn't need this feature if you plan on charging your cases by other means.

The Lock-N-Load feature just as the RCBS does, allows me to be able to do smaller cartridges as well. I plan on using it to reload .338 Lapua.

One other thing; I have read and others have stated their positions on reloading the once-fired Military (M2) brass. I do not recommend trying to resize them without annealing the case necks first. I have read that others have been able to do it and or sometimes they get a case stuck, but I tried it and I didn't want to get a case stuck. I found that if I anneal the case necks first, they resize almost as easy as the new Igman brass that I have.

I use primarily one fired LC brass from test fired barrels. Never did the anealing thing. Just make sure you have plenty lube. The longer handle bar on the RCBS really makes resizing a bit simpler.

I hear you. Fortunately, I have a pretty decent supply of that as of now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy once, cry once! I have had the RCBS for years and many thousand of reload. The Hornady and RCBS are basically the same press. You won't go wrong with either one!

Terry</div></div>

They are the EXACT same press painted a different color according to my soure that works at Hornady.

I choose the Hornday press over the RCBS because i heard the dies were better.

However after 2 months and 200 reloads i've already started aquiring some nicer CH4D dies.

The main issue is resizing with the expander ball it makes rezizing very tough on you and your bench no matter what lube you use and it causes runout in your brass.

I have progressed away from this by using a separate decapping die (CH4D) and removed the decapper/ball from the sizing die.

The Horning die takes the neck ID down to ~.440 i then use an expander iron from K&M to bring the neck ID back up to ~.508.

Much easier.

So...i guess i'm saying be prepared to replace the dies as you progress...depending on what grade ammo you wannna produce of course.

~Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I choose the Hornday press over the RCBS because i heard the dies were better.

However after 2 months and 200 reloads i've already started aquiring some nicer CH4D dies.

The main issue is resizing with the expander ball it makes rezizing very tough on you and your bench no matter what lube you use and it causes runout in your brass.

I have progressed away from this by using a separate decapping die (CH4D) and removed the decapper/ball from the sizing die.

The Horning die takes the neck ID down to ~.440 i then use an expander iron from K&M to bring the neck ID back up to ~.508.

Much easier.

So...i guess i'm saying be prepared to replace the dies as you progress...depending on what grade ammo you wannna produce of course.

~Mike </div></div>

I got to disagree. RCBS is fine for starting out. If you start neck turning-you'll need a bushing die like the one from CH4D. I use that with different bushings depending on what gun and brass I'm working on. If I need to bump the shoulder I use the RCBS "trim" die.

K&M makes tools that every 50 shooter needs-the neck turner is the shit!!

By all means either remove the expander ball or chuck it in a drill press and grind it down with a flapper wheel so it doesn't touch the brass.

CH4D also makes a collet puller which is excellent. It can also be used to hold a sizing mandril to expand the neck to your desired neck tension.

How did you go from a Lee and "blowing a whole $600" to a Dillon? That $1000 price tag is the press alone.

Get the RCBS press only, no kit. They go for $240. Next get the CH4D dies, ask about them here or on the FCSA. Here is free, the FCSA you need to be a memeber...you should become a member if you own a 50. For priming, get a shellholder(RCBS is $20) and a 50 priming arm. This puts you in the same price range as the RCBS 50 kit.

There are lots of other tools to get along the way, but by doing it this way you won't have to replace anything since you start with quality tools.

Now if you have a use for the Dillon and can afford it, forget what I just said

-V-

Hollywood turrent press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollywood turrent press.</div></div>
My 11 year old daughter has no problem full length resizing with mine.
smile.gif