• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

51-52" gun cases.. Who the hell makes them?

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    My 300WM seems to have gotten a little longer than I thought it would be. Anyhow it comes in a cunt hair over 50" at like 50.5-50.75". I have a nice shooting mag/gun case thing my wife got me for X-mas (She paid something like $250-$300 from one of the vendors here for it). Its cool but to complicated just to throw a gun in real quick and go. I have Looked at some for Palma/Benchrest shooters but they aren't exactly what I am after. I am looking for one that's the full rectangle. Something like 12-14" deep, 51-52" long and nice padding on both sides. I have looked into a drag bag but again its more than I am wanting to handle. I am just looking for simplicity pretty much.

Something like this.
    Bulldog Extreme Rectangle Tactical Rifle Case - 45" Black BD470-45 -

Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584/midwayusa-sniper-drag-bag-scoped-rifle-case) has a clone of the Condor bag with 50" and 56" versions. I have the 50" and I like it a lot. The zipper pulls are crap and I need to modify them but otherwise it seems pretty quality. It was recommended to me by a buddy that took the Condor version through sniper school and survived a couple deployments as sniper and team leader, hopefully the Midway bag holds up too.

I just bought the long one from Triad Tactical and it is perfect. Would definitely recommend it for sure

I have a case that appears identical to that Vanguard. I got it from Dick's back in 2002 for (I think...) $79. It was labeled as an MTM Case Gard product back then.

Greg

BTW, I have noticed that a lot of the plastic cases will not retain a stick-on label. I ended up masking off and spray painting a white 4" x 6" patch, then writing on it with a marker. This can be removes with mineral spirits.

Kolpin makes one. Cabela's has a tactical one out for 39.99

I have the Midway case for my Sako TRG...it's well made IMO. I'm not abusing it by any means, but I have no complaints on price/quality.

I.D. for the Vanguard is the same as the Pelican 1750, about 50 and 1/2". You can fit an A5-stocked bolt gun with a 30" barrel inside one; however, the buttpad is about 1/4" away from one edge and the muzzle/crown is about 1/2" away from the other edge. It's perfectly fine for local or other travel when the rifle is solely in your possession, but I'd never try to fly to a match with one of my F-TR rifles inside it. For air travel, I purchased a much longer aluminum case from Impact Case and Container:

Impact Case Firearm or Utility Case w/Wheels .080 - ICC Case Store

It's pricey, but it's plenty long...even long enough to fit my Tipton 50" cleaning rod, which is nice to have along at a match. The weight of the case with an 18.0 lb F-TR gun inside is still under the 50 lb luggage limit for air travel.

Hafner makes custom cases to any length you want. I use one with my F-T/R rifle and it works great. It's not very tactical if that is what you are looking for. :)

Check these out:

products.htm

Made in the USA by a one man shop in AR, he is a great guy and his case's are used by many companies and F class shooters as well.
    I have 2, one is a GA Precision case and the other just a basic case I bought direct from him.
    A great case for the money.

The one below is the one I would get. Its a rifle case, drag bag, and shooters mat all in one and is very high quality in my opinion. 55"

Galati International: Elite Sniper Shooter Mat - Tan - Galati Gear

I have the smaller one and it is awesome.

I currently have one of these. Its what I was calling cool but complicated for a gun case as you have to unfold it. I just want to stuff and go. The First reply pretty much covered what I was looking for. I don't care for anything but a soft case. I have looked at the drag bags and I have one. Juts not what I am looking for on this one. I didn't even consider OAL of the rifle when I had it built. I did find this to be a unique problem as I figured there were more guns out there over 50". I guess you get into that length the drag bag is a real winner. I have a 50" Case from WRB and I thought they made one a bit longer but I guess they stopped making rifle cases completely. My FIL has one from them like the Triad one linked and its a nice unit for the money.

Check this out.

It appears to be the same (or upgraded) case I bought in 2002. I believe Plano bought out MTM's long gun case production operation some time back. Mine has served well, including several instances of air travel in multiple stages. I consider it to be a very good competitor to the Pelican. It is major league rugged, also big and heavy...

This may also serve your needs.

A cheapest, pillared 53" rifle case.

If one of these won't do, I'm out of ideas.

Greg

Last edited:
    Ever try to put a hard case in a Jeep Wrangler? I like to go to the range in my jeep, I use the hardcases when I go in my truck but they do not work well at all in a Wrangler.

Gotten some pretty good ideas off this thread. Will have to give the Triad a try