• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 51t ratchet mount for Advanced Armament 762-SDN-6

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
I am looking to purchase the AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor as a good multi-calibre suppressor. But I have heard mixed reviews of the ratchet mount. I have heard they have a tendency to work themselves loose and then the rifle will lose accuracy.
Does anyone have any first hand experience, both good and bad for this mount?
Also I notice AAC offers 3 different 51t ratchet mounts for the 762-SDN-6, (Blackout flash hider, Blackout muzzle brake, and the Brakeout compensator), does anyone have any first hand experience with these different mounts?

I will be using this suppressor to switch between .223, 300BLK, and .308.

I have both the SDN-6 and the Blackout 51-T brake and have not had an issue. They are both used on a 300 BLK SBR. Now, I have not put a million rounds through it, but it has been used quite a bit and have never had the suppressor loosen. It always works fine, at least up to this point. As far as accuracy, it has only been on the SBR with a red dot, but no complaints. I know the QD mounts do not have as good a reputation as thread on for bolt gun accuracy, but I have no first hand knowledge on that. My .308 gun has a thread on suppressor. But being able to swap between rifles is tempting. I am tempted to have my Surefire brake removed from my AR and swap to the AAC brake just for that reason.

I am looking to purchase the AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor as a good multi-calibre suppressor. But I have heard mixed reviews of the ratchet mount. I have heard they have a tendency to work themselves loose and then the rifle will lose accuracy.
Does anyone have any first hand experience, both good and bad for this mount?
Also I notice AAC offers 3 different 51t ratchet mounts for the 762-SDN-6, (Blackout flash hider, Blackout muzzle brake, and the Brakeout compensator), does anyone have any first hand experience with these different mounts?

I will be using this suppressor to switch between .223, 300BLK, and .308.

The ratchet mount is not great. With that said it works well for some people and does not work well with others. I have the 7.62 SDN-6 and use it on my AR's and .308 bolt gun. I have the Brakeout (combo of a brake/flash hider) on all of my rifles and it works well. Some have complained of a "pinging" noise using a flash hider but I cannot comment on this. In my opinion the better QD cans are TBAC 30p-1 and the Surefire followed by AAC. These are only the 3 I have ever used so I cannot comment on any others.

The POI shift with the suppressor on my AR was not desirable but at least it was vertical and very, very minimal horizontal movement. There is quite a bit of play between the mount and the suppressor. The suppressor on my .308 locks up much more tight than it does on my AR (no idea why) and the change in POI was minimal. Since I only shoot suppressed I do all of my load development with the suppressor on.

Do a search for this same question on this site and you'll find a ton of info plus a way to fix the mounting issue by removing some of the material from the mount allowing lock up to be much better.

Works great on my AR when accuracy isn't my biggest concern. I have not had an issue with it working itself loose. However I am very disappointed when using for a precision rig. If it doesn't lock up tight it causes my group to open up which was the case for both 7.62 mounts I had.

I have that suppressor and blackout muzzle break on my LMT MWS. Using M80 ball I'm at 1.5 to 1.7 moa at 100 yards. When using 168 grain Remington or hand loads its 1 moa or better when I do my part. For me I use my MWS as a battle rifle first with the can and using an 4 power ACOG with .308 reticle. There isn't any accuracy problems with any ammo or conditions. Shot in the heat, heavy down pour, and cold temps down to 36F. It's southern GA so that's cold,lol.

The mount and can have not loosen what so ever since I have had it. I have 1350 rounds through the can and cleaned it 4 times per the manual. I had John Whidden time and install my mount.

For brake mounted suppressors I have the 762-SDN-6 on the brakeout mount, the AAC MK13 on the 90T, an FA556-212. The 762-SDN-6 is not what the other 2 are, which is perfect. There is the very smallest amount of movement when I use a bit of force. Not enough for me to pay any attention to and it does not cause any accuracy issues. If it does give you a problem use the search function to find the fix. It seems to have worked for a lot of guys. I am satisfied with the 762 as it is, and even if I had to go through the trouble of the fix I would probably still be quite happy with it. I have heard about the pinging noise but with flash hiders, not brakes.

The ratchet mount is not great. With that said it works well for some people and does not work well with others. I have the 7.62 SDN-6 and use it on my AR's and .308 bolt gun. I have the Brakeout (combo of a brake/flash hider) on all of my rifles and it works well. Some have complained of a "pinging" noise using a flash hider but I cannot comment on this. In my opinion the better QD cans are TBAC 30p-1 and the Surefire followed by AAC. These are only the 3 I have ever used so I cannot comment on any others.

The POI shift with the suppressor on my AR was not desirable but at least it was vertical and very, very minimal horizontal movement. There is quite a bit of play between the mount and the suppressor. The suppressor on my .308 locks up much more tight than it does on my AR (no idea why) and the change in POI was minimal. Since I only shoot suppressed I do all of my load development with the suppressor on.

Do a search for this same question on this site and you'll find a ton of info plus a way to fix the mounting issue by removing some of the material from the mount allowing lock up to be much better.
TBAC doesn't make a quick detach system, only a brake attach which is pretty nice. Don't forget YHM, Id put them above AAC but below SWR, Gemtech and Surefire.

The AAC brake/flash hider attachment systems have always been their Achilles heel, until the 90T. The quality of the suppressors themselves is as good as any. The Cyclone is a great precision can and is very quiet, but not as light as a TBAC 30 cal cans. The MK13 is as good as it gets for a brake mounted can, unless you're looking for mag dumps. Unfortunately another of the woes of AAC fans (which I am obviously one) is their delivery times. I have been hoping for both the 91T mounted SR7 and 300TM thread mounted can for about a year. The SR7 is basically the 762-SDN-6 with the 90T mount, which is awesome. Having grown tired of waiting on the 300TM I will probably wind up with a TBAC 30P-1 in the next few months.

Whatever you do don't go for the can with the best price point. Get what you really want. After all the expense and effort you want to pick up something awesome the day your dealer calls you and tells you your stamp is in.

I have the SDN6 and TBAC. FOR multi use you probably want the SDN6. The mounts often have slight wiggle but usually don't adversely effect accuracy. I wouldn't run this can on a 5.56 gun, just because the weight. I run the M4-2000 or mini. It works but it's kinda heavy. I run it on an FN SPR and Rem700 5R bolt guns. I used to run on my LMT. Great for those uses.

For a pure bolt gun can, I like the TBAC.

I have that suppressor and blackout muzzle break on my LMT MWS. Using M80 ball I'm at 1.5 to 1.7 moa at 100 yards. When using 168 grain Remington or hand loads its 1 moa or better when I do my part. For me I use my MWS as a battle rifle first with the can and using an 4 power ACOG with .308 reticle. There isn't any accuracy problems with any ammo or conditions. Shot in the heat, heavy down pour, and cold temps down to 36F. It's southern GA so that's cold,lol.

The mount and can have not loosen what so ever since I have had it. I have 1350 rounds through the can and cleaned it 4 times per the manual. I had John Whidden time and install my mount.

Pedro - I have a LMT 308 MWS 16" with stock buffer assembly. I also have a 762-SDN-6 waiting on BATF approval. I am wondering if the stock rifle functions properly with this suppressor, or do I need to increase buffer weight when using the suppressor?

The LMT MWS runs like a champ with this can or any other. Of course the recoil impulse is going to be sharper and faster with the can on. I'm in the process now to get a heavy buffer and spring combo to calm the recoil down. It's a nicety not necessary to run the rifle and can combo.

You will not have any problems with your rifle and can unless the mount was installed poorly. I do not have any shims installed to time the mount. My smith shaved the backside of the mount to time it. It works.