• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 556 can for 22lr?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking to order another can, and was set on the turbo k or t2.. but since Im shooting 22lr more now, and with my son.. I get tired of having one of us wait to use the 22 can that we have... so I was looking at getting a 22can instead...

How big of a deal is it to run LR through a 556 can? I know you cant "service" them, but can you just soak the entire can to clean.. or should I stick with a rimfire can.

Ditto. I am not running rimfire through a can I can't break down. The Paladin seems like a good compromise, but it is just that, a compromise. Twice as heavy as Dead Air Mask and five times heavier than a Q Erector.

My (limited) understanding of suppressors is that centerfire leaves mostly copper shavings from bullet jackets and some burnt powder residue. Rimfire is DIRTY, leaving lead, lube, burnt and unburnt powder and carbon deposits. I've soaked the pieces of my Dead Air Mask for many hours in my ultrasonic cleaner and still had to do a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease. I will be replacing that with a tumbler and stainless steel pins in the near future. Both those methods are far more intrusive than just soaking a sealed can.

Ditto. I am not running rimfire through a can I can't break down. The Paladin seems like a good compromise, but it is just that, a compromise. Twice as heavy as Dead Air Mask and five times heavier than a Q Erector.

My (limited) understanding of suppressors is that centerfire leaves mostly copper shavings from bullet jackets and some burnt powder residue. Rimfire is DIRTY, leaving lead, lube, burnt and unburnt powder and carbon deposits. I've soaked the pieces of my Dead Air Mask for many hours in my ultrasonic cleaner and still had to do a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease. I will be replacing that with a tumbler and stainless steel pins in the near future. Both those methods are far more intrusive than just soaking a sealed can.
    I’ll just get a rimfire now and 556 next year.
    I’ve used CLR on my titanium 22 baffles and they don’t have to sit in it more than 5-10 minutes before everything is cleaned off

Looking to order another can, and was set on the turbo k or t2.. but since Im shooting 22lr more now, and with my son.. I get tired of having one of us wait to use the 22 can that we have... so I was looking at getting a 22can instead...

How big of a deal is it to run LR through a 556 can? I know you cant "service" them, but can you just soak the entire can to clean.. or should I stick with a rimfire can.
    One word… DON’T! Just get you an actual use serviceable .22LR can. Get a Dead Air Mask HD, you won’t regret it.

If wanting to save on s as dedicated 5.56 can, get an Otter Creek Polonium that retails for only $550. 👍🏼

One word… DON’T! Just get you an actual use serviceable .22LR can. Get a Dead Air Mask HD, you won’t regret it.

If wanting to save on s as dedicated 5.56 can, get an Otter Creek Polonium that retails for only $550. 👍🏼
    I was going to get the mask, but ended up ordering the YHM Phantom tonight....
    Seems the mask and phantom are the same as far as noise.. so I went with the cheaper one, but second guessing it since I have 2 other dead air cans.

smaller, lighter than the paladin and 223 rated. I just suggested the paladin because I figured he'd want a serviceable 223 can vs a 22lr can that could handle 223.

Reactions: x2cross
    Just reading that YhM dropped their warranty on their cans…. That sucks. And would probably cost me more than the $90 difference between it and the mask. I’ll call SS tomorrow and get the order changed over

Reactions: 07SGT4623 and FuhQ
    I was going to get the mask, but ended up ordering the YHM Phantom tonight....
    Seems the mask and phantom are the same as far as noise.. so I went with the cheaper one, but second guessing it since I have 2 other dead air cans.
    I'm not a big YHM can fan... I'd call tomorrow and see if you can swap it for a Mask. But that's just me. 😉

Reactions: Jmccracken1214

smaller, lighter than the paladin and 223 rated. I just suggested the paladin because I figured he'd want a serviceable 223 can vs a 22lr can that could handle 223.
    The Griffin is a really cool can! It's on my to-buy list. I've used my buddy's a bit. 223 and 224V is no issue. Still small enough to use on Rimfire and not look ridiculous.

Reactions: jzerfoss
    Before I got rimfire cans, I used a .30 cal Banish 30 (9”)with the modular extension screwed off (7”). This is when then still sold different caliber endcaps.

Worked well. Then I got a Banish 223 (7”) which is what I’d suggest. User serviceable, all titanium so you can use CLR with no fear (stainless and CLR isn’t the best). Buy their baffle jack to more easily crank the baffles out; it’s pretty slick.

Then I got rimfire cans.

Downside is Silencer Central is a bit weird to deal with. But the cans are made by Mack Bros and are well made.

Just reading that YhM dropped their warranty on their cans…. That sucks. And would probably cost me more than the $90 difference between it and the mask. I’ll call SS tomorrow and get the order changed over
    They did not drop their warranty, they just don’t repair idiotic user error issues for free.

They don’t repair any issues for free if there is damage caused to the can…. Regardless of why.
    That is incorrect, my neighbor sent back a T2 he got a baffle strike on and they fixed it for free two months ago.
    His baffle strike was caused by using the can on a poorly threaded barrel and they still fixed it for free.

Most of this YHM rumor mill is coming from a guy who shot .300 Blackout through his 5.56 Turbo T2, and then complained online that YHM wanted to charge him $180 to replace the can.

• Haha
    Reactions: Jsp556 and BurtG