• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

55gr vmax with imr4198 and 1:7 twist please help

joejoebuick

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2014
Hi guys I'm new to this cool site and need advice on this.This is all I have to gather up right now to shoot my new Adams arms mid length ar.Some mild loads of experience will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
4198 might be a little fast to try and run a gas gun. especially an adams arms piston. my experience with mine is it was very picky. they will tell you it is tuned to run on military ammo without being over-gassed. my experience with a 1 in 7 yhm barrel it blew up 55 grain dogtowns. i never tried v maxes. i just changed it. it never blew up any 55 g fmjs

Thanks for the reply.I have some 55gr fmjs I can try out first and see what it does.what did you load the dogs to?

Hi guys I'm new to this cool site and need advice on this.This is all I have to gather up right now to shoot my new Adams arms mid length ar.Some mild loads of experience will be greatly appreciated

I about guarantee you will have cycling issues with 4198 in an AR. I tried 4198 in my Bushmaster 24" Varmint and had consistiant FTF's. Like others commented 4198 is too fast of a burn which prohibits the piston from fully cycling. I have been using Win 748 ,and Benchmark with excellent results in my Bushy.

I have shot 4198 and 50gr bullets with 3 different ar's and two of them cycled fine. The one that I had issues with would cycle 50gr soft points loaded to OAL of 2.210" just fine. It would not cycle the same powder charge with 50gr V Max loaded to 2.250". With the 50gr bullets, I was loading 21.2 gr in mixed brass and had good results. I went all the way up to the max of 22gr without any pressure problems. If you already have the components, it is worth a shot to see if it will work in your gun.

I have shot 4198 and 50gr bullets with 3 different ar's and two of them cycled fine. The one that I had issues with would cycle 50gr soft points loaded to OAL of 2.210" just fine. It would not cycle the same powder charge with 50gr V Max loaded to 2.250". With the 50gr bullets, I was loading 21.2 gr in mixed brass and had good results. I went all the way up to the max of 22gr without any pressure problems. If you already have the components, it is worth a shot to see if it will work in your gun.

very true but from my experience with adams arms piston kits i would not be optimistic. an over gassed or under sprung gun would probably run. if it will run wolf steel case maybe.

If you want a great combo, try 53gr VMAX and Benchmark. Im shooting at 26gr(fairly hot) but, IIRC I had good accuracy around 25.2 also. Shooting out of a WOA 18" 1/7 SPR barrel@3100-ish and 3325 out of my Tikka varmint You could try 55gr VMAX as well, but the 53 has a better bc and is excellent on small game..

Thanks guys for all the replies.I guess its a no go for imr4198 . I made ten with 18.5grs and I'll try them out for the heck of it but I stopped and bought h322 at local gun store for better results.I think I'll go with 23grs and see what happens. Looking at my hornady book it seems its very much on the safe side for max loads that's why I started at 18grs.let you guys know the results as soon as the rain permits.thanks to everyone who replied.