• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

568 yards cold bore 5 shots DPMS in HD

Pretty hard to believe. He dials those adjustments in way easy... and in that wind...

Where is that!!!! What beautiful country!!! I can't imagine how much fun it must be to ride out there on a motorcycle!!!!!!! It'd be nearly HEAVEN!!!!!

Good shooting but I'd be more impressed if that was done with a 223.

Anyone identify that scope? I'm curious.

Last edited:
Wind is not as bad as it sounded.. I need one of those little mic muff things to stop the sound.

That's about a still day as we get here in my part of New Zealand.

The gun shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA so it's really not that hard to believe.

As for the speed of which i dial and dope... I own a very large range I get a lot of practice :)
Take a look at some of my other clips!!

Wind is not as bad as it sounded.. I need one of those little mic muff things to stop the sound.

That's about a still day as we get here in my part of New Zealand.

The gun shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA so it's really not that hard to believe.

As for the speed of which i dial and dope... I own a very large range I get a lot of practice :)
Take a look at some of my other clips!!

What optic was that and rangefinder?

That optic is a crappy or so I thought bushnell 3-12 AR scope...
I only put it on there as I needed to jam something on for a hunt I had planned but hec it hasn't crapped out and it tracks ok so I actually don't think I'll take it off !

That range finder is an absolute gem made my a euro company called Jahti jakt I did three years of long range field shooting and culling and it's still going strong.
And the best thing is it's the only range finder iv ever used that performs beyond it's claims

1000m rated but no problems out to 1100.

Doc

Factory ammo or hand loads? If handloads, what kind of load? I have a Oracle 7.62 that I use for deer hunting and plinking. I haven't tried out many loads other than SMK 168's, Barnes TTSX and Accubonds. I haven't found a good load on the Barnes 168 & 165's yet using Varget.

I don't see what is so hard to believe, I have a steel plate 9"x 8" hanging at 555 yds and can hit it with much smaller caliber AR's, 6MM AR, 6.5 grendel, 300 blackout is a little tougher but doable, the 308 and 6.5 creedmoor is just too easy. I would suggest to the disbelievers to hit the range more.
good shooting Doc.
cheers.

Factory ammo or hand loads? If handloads, what kind of load? I have a Oracle 7.62 that I use for deer hunting and plinking. I haven't tried out many loads other than SMK 168's, Barnes TTSX and Accubonds. I haven't found a good load on the Barnes 168 & 165's yet using Varget.

Yep hand loads

That's 168 hornady match

Pushed by 47 grains of ADI 2208

Gives me 2600 fps.

That is very good shooting. Nothing hard to believe here. When I was shooting HP silhouette, we used to sight our rifles in a 500 meters shooting at small rocks. We were shooting either prone or off a bench.
Again, great shooting Doc.
Daryl (cwmoss)

Bull shit!

You need to get out and shoot more.
You might get lucky.

Awesome shooting spot you have there Doc!
I bet the wind can be a bear to deal with from the ridges further back.

Last edited:
Here is the first time I shot 3 times to see if I hit the paper. I was testing my new custom turret on my Vortex 6-24 PST FFP MOA scope at 400 yds. I was shooting my Savage custom built 6mm Norma BR. using Berger 105 gr. VLDs with CCI BR4 primers and Varget. The custom turret that Vortex made for me is dead nuts accurate out to 900 plus yds. The rifle is extremely accurate and with little or no wind will consistently shoot less than 2 inch 5 shot groups at 400 yds.

Attachments

• 400 yd. target .jpg
    400 yd. target .jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here is the first time I shot 3 times to see if I hit the paper. I was testing my new custom turret on my Vortex 6-24 PST FFP MOA scope at 400 yds. I was shooting my Savage custom built 6mm Norma BR. using Berger 105 gr. VLDs with CCI BR4 primers and Varget. The custom turret that Vortex made for me is dead nuts accurate out to 900 plus yds. The rifle is extremely accurate and with little or no wind will consistently shoot less than 2 inch 5 shot groups at 400 yds.

What is the relevance of this post to the thread? ^^^^^

Doc Watson, nice shooting and thank you for sharing both videos!

Last edited:
LMAO second video is great. The first goat that got shot had another goat right by him go; WTF !!! Great stuff!!

That's definitely some good shooting. There's a lot to be said for getting a *lot* of practice. I've gone shooting in the mountains near here (Denver) exactly once, and the wind was crazy even at 100 yards. That is to say, I'm very impressed. Thank you for sharing.

I'm actually more impressed by the fact that you had two cameras going and did a pnp with the one pointed at the target. It's so frustrating watching videos of someone shoot a rifle and not seeing a damned thing they're hitting, until after they've walked down range. So, a very big thank you for that too. :D

What is the relevance of this post to the thread? ^^^^^

DT1,

Someone above didn't believe that he could really shoot that good so I wanted to post that it is not that difficult to do what he did. He is a good shooter and his equipment is also pretty darn accurate. Also if he has a custom turret it is very fast to range the target then turn elevation turret to the distance then hold or adjust for windage then shoot. I use them and they are dead nuts accurate. Look here:

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Attachments

• custom turrets .jpg
    custom turrets .jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.08.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.08.07 AM.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks fellas.

The scope has normal 1/4 MOA turrets the calc app I'm using is the Bullet flight version 2

After riding all the way to the target and fluffing about hanging the silly gong off that cliff I had a very good idea of my dope...

If you could ride up to the target and feel the wind on your face under every circumstance it would certainly be helpful :)
I guess in a way it was cheating.

Well, great shooting! Guess I better get in more shooting time. I don't think I could get in well grouped hits that easily at that range.
Absolutely magnificent country!!!
Thanks for posting. Going to look at your other vids too.

Hello Dr Watson. That was great shooting with the bike and the gun mounted but I think your second video of shooting the goat where you can see the bullet going trough the air then hit, has to be one of the best all time bullet in motion clips on the tube, well done to the person on the camera and to yourself. Keep the videos coming. A Fan.

Thanks pal. Interestingly enough I do all the filming myself !!!

It's a challenge that's for sure... Goat moves then I gotta get up find it with the camera and start the whole re range dial up process again !!

It's slow going but it makes you fast at the range dial dope system :)