• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

577 tyrannosaur -- I am considering having one built

Check out the 600 OverKill, I almost had one built but decided I'd wait till they start cloning dinasaurs.
New Page 1

You sound like my buddy. He loves recoil and doesn't shy away from large caliber guns. That being said, that thing is on another planet. I don't care how much you like recoil, a couple of rounds through that thing and there's a good chance that you're gonna need shoulder surgery. Do what you will but asking to destroy your body for literally no reason seems ridiculous to me. So to answer your question......Yes you're crazy.

If you do spring for one please post some vids of you shooting it.

Have a great Memorial Day.

A buddy of mine built a .577 TREX in school. Now this guy was around 5' even, and weighed maybe 140 lbs soaking wet, and he never shied away from it. I, however, am 6'3", about 300 lbs and took two shots out of it and said never again. Not worth the pain and possible dislocated shoulder.

You know the videos of the rifle cartwheeling out of the arabs hands at the indoor range? Thats a .577 Tyrannosaur.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI[/video]

Thanks but no thanks:eek:

shooting it once is one thing but stepping up there to do it twice is a whole other story.

This video never gets old haha

No kidding! I have no idea how old it is, or how many times I've watched it, or how the cameraman put together such a wonderful cast of characters, or why someone didn't move the spotting scope the first time it nearly got wiped out... but it's still fuckin' funny.

Ok...I'll be the "you'll shoot your eye out, Ralphie" voice of reason here:

There is no practical reason to have a TRex unless you just want one for shits and giggles and you aren't terribly concerned with your own physical well-being (or that of anyone else you let shoot it). All jokes and funny YouTube vids aside...you run a serious risk of harm to not only your shoulder, but to your eyes (detached retinas) as well as a whole host of other neurological and musculoskeletal injuries you don't need or want.

If you desire a BIG/DANGEROUS GAME rifle, I can think of no fewer than about a dozen vastly superior choices for getting the job done with lower recoil (duh...but still enough to let you know you are alive and just got kicked by a mule), and even a remote chance at a follow-up shot if you should need one (it happens FAR more often than you think you would). ;)

Ok...voice of reason off...if you do build one, but sure that you video your range time with it (especially your first outing)! Good luck and Godspeed!

I have a 500 Accurate Reloading cartridge which is the 338 Lapua necked up to .510 pushing 750gr Hornady A-Max bullets around 2350fps. It has sheared a Nightforce base, cut 6 peoples head, and cracked a Mcmillan stock. The gun weighs 26lbs. I couldn`t imagine anymore power. I shot a 649gr API though 3 blocks of wood. Each piece of wood was roughly 16" thick and the wood was spaced about 1ft apart and it went through all of that plus buried in the ground about 12". Have fun!

This is the kind of rifle you build to brag about. And then end up shooting it once or twice...

I wouldn't spend my money on something that has no application in the real world... but that's just me...

A 375 or 416 will kill anything on the planet and still provide plenty for a recoil junky. A 577 is pretty useless unless you want something to brag to your friends about or hand to somebody as a crude joke. I personally wouldn't waste the money on one but if you've got it, go for it.

Yes it is. I do have one brand new round minus the primer and powder for my collection. It was given to me by the Dude that makes the brass and projos.

You mean Lehigh Projectiles? They make the bullets for the .950 JDJ - they are 1 lb each, solids!

You mean Lehigh Projectiles? They make the bullets for the .950 JDJ - they are 1 lb each, solids!

Yes it was Lehigh Projos. I met him back in 2005 at a 50 cal 1000yd match near Altoona, PA. One of the competitors was shooting some of his 50 cal solids and he was testing some new designs. He's a real nice guy to hang out and talk with at the match.

My 375 and 416 VM rifles are based on a case that is very similar to the T Rex. I am currently working on a 458 version shooting 565gn GS Custom bullets. I am looking for velocity around 2850fps with this high BC bullet. The case holds around 175gns of powder.

I have these cases custom made in Australia to my specs, all with propper head stamps. I beefed up the web area to handle the higher pressures that smaller bores develop. I would rather have a rifle that doubles for Dangerous game hunting and also can be used for longer ranges as well. I have a 416 VM heading for Africa later this year.

416VM-308Win2.JPG

Picture of the 416 VM with a 308 Win.

416vm_31.JPG

My first test rifle in 416 VM
Custom action i built with a ABS carbon fiber barrel, 32"
Joel Russo cut the stock blank for me.
Side by side, 585 case and 416 VM.
The rifle is very fun to shoot, 400gn barnes bullets. 3200fps is what i shoot her at.

Wolf_2x1.JPG

Finished rifle picture

Last edited:
I use to love recoil, but found as I grow older I like it less. I owned a 10.5lb Frank Wells Custom .500 A square launching a 707 gr. Barnes solid at 2050 FPS. With muzzle brake it was fun and in 8 yrs put 300 rounds through it. I am 5'7" and 140 lbs and would take a step backwards if no setup properly. I finally sold the gun and now shoot a Frank Wells .416 Rem. which i load down. If you dont hot rod the gun and have it built heavy enough you should be fine. You have a greater chance for retinal detachment and shoulder injury if you load 750 gr to 2400 fps. This thing will outpenetrate most other guns a 2100fps. Look at AHR of American Hunting Rifles website: American Hunting Rifles
P.S. I am an Optometrist.