• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 593 yard buck

Ark. Trapper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
Aetna, Arkansas
I shot this buck yesterday evening at 593 yards. He made it about 40 yards before going down. He's 16 3/8" inside with 9 inch G2's. Not bad for a hill deer around here. The rifle I used is a M700 action with a Shilen 1 in 8 twist ratchet rifled #6 contour barrel @ 22" chambered to 243win. It's wearing a Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44 LR scope sitting in Burris XTR rings/bases and it's bedded in a B&C M40 medalist stock. The load is a 105gr AMAX running 3126fps at the muzzle. I recovered the bullet under the hide on the off side. It now weighs 53.6 grains. I'm happy with both the buck and the shot!
ebcb8b5a.jpg

2a81b73b.jpg

Re: 593 yard buck

Nice deer. What load are you using with those 105's? That bullet's cookin' compared to mine, putting along at 2775 fps.

Kind of the way I feel about my Buck, as happy with the shot as the deer. Almost! Congratulations.

Thanks guys! The load is 47 grains of RL22. The only pic I have of the bullet placement is pretty graphic because the coyotes found him before I did. I shot him just before dark and didn't have enough light left to track him so I left til the next morning. I hit him thru the center of the near shoulder and he had only ran 40 yards and was probably dead within 30 seconds after the bullet hit him. I'm gonna do some serious coyote killing next week.
358edad4.jpg

Sad you did not find the buck that night, dropped one w/in 25 yds after a 400 yd double lung amax 105 at 2850mv from a 6BR.

Yes, the Amax at long range is deadly on deer, up close they will blow so you have to stay w/lung/neck/spine/head shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad you did not find the buck that night, dropped one w/in 25 yds after a 400 yd double lung amax 105 at 2850mv from a 6BR.

Yes, the Amax at long range is deadly on deer, up close they will blow so you have to stay w/lung/neck/spine/head shots. </div></div>
Did the amax punch all the way through on that 400 yd shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No read the post thats why there is a pic of the recovered amax in his hand. </div></div>
Nice attitude bro... read who the author of the post I quoted is. 6.5BR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad you did not find the buck that night, dropped one w/in 25 yds after a 400 yd double lung amax 105 at 2850mv from a 6BR.

Yes, the Amax at long range is deadly on deer, up close they will blow so you have to stay w/lung/neck/spine/head shots. </div></div>
Did the amax punch all the way through on that 400 yd shot? </div></div>

Yes, double lunged, golf ball sized exit under hide, but it exited, and deer died w/in 20-25 yds, STRUGGLING to make it that far. Hit very hard and had a tough time keeping footing and staying up.