• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R Bedding

oldfatguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
I have a box-stock, except for adjusting the trigger,5R that shoots pretty good but I am wondering if anyone has any before & after experience with bedding one.

It looks like the action doesn't have much contact with the aluminum block under the chamber or on the recoil lug. There are only wear lines where they make contact.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done a bedding job and if it improved accuracy.

OFG

Re: 5R Bedding

Mine has pretty even clearance between the barrel and the stock on the left and right, enough space on the bottom of the barrel too.

I had Randy@ R&D did some work and he also recommend not to touch anything unless accuracy concern occurs.

I ended up with a new stock, but that's for whole different reason. Mostly personal preference and what you want and need.

I'd say shoot as is until you see a need to do something more to it. And if you want something, do it. If you really want it, its just the matter of time.
smile.gif

Mine is pretty even also. Thought about having it bedded but then made the decision to go with a AICS 1.5. Can't wait for it to come in.

I agree, don't fool with it unless there is an accuracy issue. Mine sits in the stock very nice, the recoil lug comes up tight to the bedding block. I wanted to buy another stock, but I would hate to lose any accuracy just for a different look.
I have a target on my wall that I shot with this rifle, it is a 5 shot group just under 1 1/4" at 300 yards. Yes I am proud of that.
If you want to chase accuracy I would change out the trigger, with either a Jewell or Timney, I have the Timney and am very happy with it.

Remington7005R308.jpg

SScott

Scott:

What kind of cheek piece is that? I am looking into putting on a Karsten's on my stock 5R. How was the install process for you? Is that krylon on your stock and action? Very nice looking rifle!

Does a boot your size,fit your foot better than one that doesn't? Same goes bedding and rest assured your inlet is way more than a bunch generous.

Bedding goes without saying.

If bedded correctly, it can't hurt, and will most likely help.

If you do it yourself, you'll be out the cost of some Devcon, if it don't help. You will however, gain experiance, and have fun doing it, and stand a great chance of picking up some accuracy.
smile.gif

I'm still amazed at how many are duped by the "bedding block" hoax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott:

What kind of cheek piece is that? I am looking into putting on a Karsten's on my stock 5R. How was the install process for you? Is that krylon on your stock and action? Very nice looking rifle! </div></div>
It is a Karsten cheek rest, it as easy as drilling a few holes in the stock. Just ensure that you place it far enough back so that you can get the bolt out.
The finish is Cerecote (Spelling?) My 5R loves 168 gr SMK with 44.7 grains of Varget seated to max book lenght into an RP case.
SScott

had geoff corn bed mine before i ever even shot it so i don't know if it helped or not,but it sure did'nt hurt nothing.it's a shooter.

With any of the stock with an aluminum bedding block, I shoot them first and see how they do. Some don't need to be bedded. If you can't get the accuracy where you want it or think it should be with just the aluminum bedding block, then bed teh action in the stock.