• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R is here, SEND BACK OR NOT???

Re: 5R is here, SEND BACK OR NOT??? (Lipstick Test

I originally said shoot it but you have too many doubts about the rifle and will always have those doubts now. The shoulda, woulda, coulda will haunt you. Send it back and see what comes next.

L

edt: Just be prepared to find similar 'issues' with the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LIP STICK TEST! Anyone have comments on this, should it be touching where it is?

Also do you think what was said earlier is true, Recoil lug being off? I put it in a BC and it didnt torque, and sit pretty in the middle. </div></div>

Based on what I see in your pics, there is a lot of "plastic contact where the only marking should be on the metal. Way too much at the tang area (the only marking there should be on the aluminum itself.

All the marking OFF the block means the action is not sitting properly in the block. I'd take a pocket knife or small wood carving chisel (flat) and just remove the "flash" that's holding the action up off the block until it's torqued.

This very typical of an assembly line where the action is dropped in the stock, bottom metal added, screws torqued and if nothing jumps out at the final inspector, it gets shipped.

I guess thr only thing to do now, is see if snipercountrypx has good customer service. I know Scott Powers is a good guy, and I will post results here, and how the next one looks and shoots. Id be ok with the stock or just 1 concern, but the rough place on the brrl, is exactly where the bolt face has a nick, and the paint missing, and I just hate the fact that the action and brtl move when screw is tightened. Wish me luck!

Re: 5R is here, SEND BACK OR NOT???

you want perfect, buy custom. you want hit or miss, buy mass produced. simple as that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you want perfect, buy custom. you want hit or miss, buy mass produced. simple as that. </div></div>Yeah I agree..But Let's say the tools were old and dull the day they made his 5R. Does that mean he doesn't deserve the same quality 5R that left the factory a couple days prior, NO. Shit happens, which is why I'm sure that as long as he doesn't keep monkeying with it Remington will have no problem exchanging it for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you want perfect, buy custom. you want hit or miss, buy mass produced. simple as that. </div></div>

Or buy a Tikka.

just shoot it, i have the exact same rifle, and its a floater, shoots very well tho. unless you're a very expirenced shooter, i think this is a great rifle.

IMAG0059.jpg

Call someone where you've buyed it,explain politely your problem,and learn from the source the options to send it back_ Better if unshooted,of course_
smile.gif

That is a pretty typical looking factory stick. Most all need to be dremmel (cratex tip) the stock mat'l for better contact. The rear of the receiver will most likely also be off when you mount the ring base, and that can be checked with a dial indicator or feeler gauge. Very simple fixes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you want perfect, buy custom. you want hit or miss, buy mass produced. simple as that. </div></div>

Or buy a Tikka.</div></div>

I have 0 experiance with Tikka, but i hear nothing but great things about them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you want perfect, buy custom. you want hit or miss, buy mass produced. simple as that. </div></div>

Or buy a Tikka.</div></div>

I have 0 experiance with Tikka, but i hear nothing but great things about them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> unless you're a very expirenced shooter, i think this is a great rifle.

</div></div>
Why wouldn't an experienced shooter consider it a great rifle also. I've been shooting rifles for 60 years. Some customs, some factory. My 5R shoots every bit as good as the Les Baer bolt action .308 (based on the target they supplied with the one I looked at). The Rem 5-R was $1100 including my local sales tax and the L/B was $3500 without scope. I added the same aftermarket stock as the L/B to mine took it to the range, and with my handloads ended up with targets that looked just like the "sample". Also had an extra $2,000 left over for a Nightforce scope.

The 5-R is not just "out of the box accurate, it stays that way for a long time.

It's not a Bench Rest Rifle but it's no "Wal-Mart Special either.

Someone had mentioned Tikka earlier and they do have a better fit and finish for the money. I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point. I'd stay with the 5R and the blemishes though but that's just me.

L

If you doubt it now it will probably be in the back of your mind every time you take out. If you plan on keeping that stock send it back. If your going to be changing the stock (sounds like that is where your problems are coming from) then keep it and shoot it. Got my 5r through SNPX and had a great experience with them. I would probably send it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> unless you're a very expirenced shooter, i think this is a great rifle.

</div></div>
Why wouldn't an experienced shooter consider it a great rifle also. I've been shooting rifles for 60 years. Some customs, some factory. My 5R shoots every bit as good as the Les Baer bolt action .308 (based on the target they supplied with the one I looked at). The Rem 5-R was $1100 including my local sales tax and the L/B was $3500 without scope. I added the same aftermarket stock as the L/B to mine took it to the range, and with my handloads ended up with targets that looked just like the "sample". Also had an extra $2,000 left over for a Nightforce scope.

The 5-R is not just "out of the box accurate, it stays that way for a long time.

It's not a Bench Rest Rifle but it's no "Wal-Mart Special either. </div></div>

I guess it depends on what you are doing, but put a bunch of dirt in the action, drop it down a bank, then go shoot a field match... I think that's where some other rifles start to stand out over a good shooting 700.

To me, if it shoots great, I'd keep it. But my guns have lots of scratches in them...

I just bought the exact same gun but got mine used. Even used it did not have as many blemishes as yours. If I bought it new and sending back was an option then I probably would do that. Good luck. It is still a very fine gun.

A lipstick test on mine looks exactly the same as yours, but the barrel sits perfectly centered in the channel. I am skim bedding it to increase the contact area.

I posted earlier in the thread before more pics were added of the stock out of the action. I still say clean it up some and give it a nice skim bed. Typical of Remington / HSP stocks. It's a simple DIY project, give some self satisfaction and can't hurt especially if you don't even know what the rifle shoots like as of yet.

It's simple easy piece of mind.

As was said earlier, It's always going to be in the back of your mind. Ship it back and either try again or find one that's local so you can inspect it first.

I have NOT shot it. If I do Im sure I can't send it back. Yes I've shot matches since I was 16, and am 36. I set the 200yd Record yrs back, of course it's been broken 3 or 4 times since, but I have Custom full out, 40X, all the way down to my lil 3006 ADL. Have 243 SPS, 220Swift 40X, SVSSFII, Clay Spencer 6mmBR in Tooley Edge, Les Baer bolt, and gas gun, It may shoot awesome, but all my other factory Rems. don't torque up, like this. I expect more from Rem. If I do shoot it and it don't shoot, Im dealing with Rem, (Long Time). if I don't shoot or mt anything to it, like it is. I'd say Scott will replace it. We will see. I'm calling in a min.

Just like I had figured. Scott Powers IS THE MAN! So is snipercountry. He said no problem, just send it back, and he would have me another in a cpl days! I hope it comes in a little better cond., and that's not Scott's fault, he get's what Rem puts out. I will have another 5R. Thanks guys, but Niles is right, it would always be in the back of my mind, "what if?" I'm just glad to do business with him, and that's where I will continue to, because if it's like I have read, there will be a .223, and a 300 Mag in the future, and Christmas is around the corner. I have no desire to put a Mcm on it, because they "have" to be bedded. Maybe later a Chasis, if I can pick one out I like, but an HSP is on my straight 6mm Custom, just channeled out a little, and the worst group I have ever fired is .497", so the stock is doin it's job. I just joined here to learn more about stretching it to a grand, as my longest kill is 611yds with the 6mm, (but it took 4 shots and a caller). Hope this gun gets me some groups at 1000. Thank you everybody, and I will keep you posted.

Awesome news and Scott is the man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just like I had figured. Scott Powers IS THE MAN! So is snipercountry. He said no problem, just send it back, and he would have me another in a cpl days! I hope it comes in a little better cond., and that's not Scott's fault, he get's what Rem puts out. I will have another 5R. Thanks guys, but Niles is right, it would always be in the back of my mind, "what if?" I'm just glad to do business with him, and that's where I will continue to, because if it's like I have read, there will be a .223, and a 300 Mag in the future, and Christmas is around the corner. I have no desire to put a Mcm on it, because they "have" to be bedded. Maybe later a Chasis, if I can pick one out I like, but an HSP is on my straight 6mm Custom, just channeled out a little, and the worst group I have ever fired is .497", so the stock is doin it's job. I just joined here to learn more about stretching it to a grand, as my longest kill is 611yds with the 6mm, (but it took 4 shots and a caller). Hope this gun gets me some groups at 1000. Thank you everybody, and I will keep you posted. </div></div>

Send it back or get rid of the pos HS precision stock. I've seen this exact problem with the barrel not having the same fit on both sides giving the illusion of it being crooked in the stock. Not acceptable in my mind ever and call me anal if you want!

Like said by other people I would just shoot it and upgrade as it gets used

My comment about it was more towards the stock side, i'm not a experienced shooter by no means, but even i dislike the stock.

It is a great rifle, i sank about $2300 into at in total for all my gear, and don't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> unless you're a very expirenced shooter, i think this is a great rifle.

</div></div>

It's not a Bench Rest Rifle but it's no "Wal-Mart Special either. </div></div>

McMillan stocks don't "have" to be bedded. They can be ordered with pillars and shot like they are or with none. For what it's worth, I've had the same problem as you before. I ended up relieving it in a few areas and skim and it centered up fine then. That's just typical H-S Precision quality. It's awful and H-S won't take care of their customers. I'm glad your issue is being resolved by the seller.

No Prob on the ranting, nothing like other forums. And YES Scott is the Man. And why buy from Buds? His price is $30-$40 higher. If you haven't dealt w/ Scott I recommend it. He cares, and shoots alot of Sniper shoots, and he knows the 5R well. I will post pics when it gets here, and ta time, but when ordered it was 2 days and here.I learned a lesson at least. Check the rifle out good, before you sign the BG check, lol common knowledge I know, just excited I guess, just looked, and went with it. Gotta cpl Optic ?s I'm gonna post now, ($500 or less for now) Vortex looks real good though. Great responses though guys, I HIGHLY Thank all of you.

Glad to hear Scott is taking care of you. Had nothing but good luck with him. Vortex has been awesome to work with as well. Let's us know how the next one works out.